205 GTI tires
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: 205 GTI tires

Default 205 GTI tires

I am in the market for a set of nice tires. What are people around here using?

Advertisement

I would go for quality (a good balance of grip/wear) above all else. Price a close second though.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Been on Pilot Sports for the last 3 months and have to say Im really impressed with their wet grip and feel. The dry is amazing, very progressive when pushing the front too hard, once over the limit still communicating and will tuck back on line smoothly and without fuss. Ride seems fine, I do run a harder setup but on the freeway and smoother roads they seem compliant and relatively quiet ( my 205 is seriously old and rattly so cant really tell ). But as said, the grip in the wet is pretty awesome, again, when pushed, progressive and always searching for grip smoothly and letting you know whats going on. Highly recommended.
    Cam
    15 Speedlines BTW
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention, 15 inch wheels here too. How much did you pay, cam?

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

I can't believe this subject has come up again. This subject comes up every 6 months.

What wheels are you running and what you are going to use the car for. Have you tried heading to your local tyre place and ask them? Let them know what your budget is and what you what from your tire and they can tell you what they have available in your budget.

Tires are a personal thing, its the first thing your car has in contact with the road. I know its a rude question, but have you searched this topic, its been covered quite a few times.

Chris

I have found the search function pretty hopeless so don't try it very often. Google will find threads our search doesn't.

I am trying to avoid visiting my local shops as every time I do that they try to sell me whatever they have on hand, else don't take any interest in my custom and that doesn't help me at all. My time is also very limited and can't get anywhere during business hours. I always found that a little bit of research before I start ringing up around helps cutting down the time spent driving around and asking questions of busy workmen.

Perhaps the topic comes up every 6 months because it is worth revisiting? Hope that doesn't offend you.

PS. I run the original pepperpots.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    PS. I run the original pepperpots.
    Are they 14 inch??

Jo

The search function on this forum is awesome. Try using the 205 Forum search function........

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Are they 14 inch??

Jo
    Apparently so, even though I wrote 15" above. I'll check again at home.

Pepperpots are 14... The later S3 type are 15in.

I was lucky enough to have the tires come with a car so not sure what they cost. I would guess about 200 a corner..

Cam
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car

I've heard speak very highly of R888 for the Pepperpots. As for 15s, the world is your oyster. There is a lot of good tyres out there.

No offence taken

Chris

r888 would be a bit shady in the wet no?
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car

WHat's R888? How about Continental?

I love my Dunlop Z1 star spec great in the dry with nice stiff side walls and much better in the dry then any other track style tires I've tried.

if you can organise freight to the loneliness capital

F/S 195/50/15 dunlop Lemans tires

Thank you, sorry no second hand tires.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Apples / oranges and rose coloured glasses.

Oh goody another a tyre thread/debate on AF ( it has become my way of describing the word subjective ).

Credit due 2 U for doing some research as I share the opinion that a lot of tyre outlets will just give you BS and tell you that “oh that tyre is not available” etc etc .

A good portion of a tyre thread disappeared into the ether when the NoDaddy did the dirty on our benefactor so I’ll re post my thoughts of the great grip better than average wear + ‘value’ pricepoint.

My experience of the old Bridgestone Potenza G III’s was they were a great bang for the buck on the 205 and I wrapped a full set for future use when they were discontinued. The Adrenaline that replaced them are holding up well on my “Italian Doorstop” where they get a good workout so a pretty good tyre, I ‘feel’ they are a bit stickier but not dissimilar. The doorstop used to light up the G III’s in 1 / 2 / 3rd not so the Adrenaline they tend to hookup with the bitumen better. The old Pirelli P6000’s used to get the power down but would disappear in a matter of months without feeling much better. My experience of the Adrenaline is they are good in the dry pretty good in the wet but be cautious towards the limit on rough / loose surfaces.

Yoko Cdrives seem to get a fair mention on here. If you want to spend more for diminishing returns go for it.

Are you using the Advanced Search Function? In comparison to some BB’s I frequent the AussieFrogs query engine is amongst the best IMHO.

Whilst you need 14’s this thread has been going for ages , paste this into the basic search window: “The 195/55R15 Tyre Thread” and hit enter . Some of these can still be had.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

I couldn’t help my sarcastic self from pasting the OLD URL above, just joking big fella.

Sandgroper
    93' 205GTi
    'don't force it son - use a bigger hammer'

This is not intended as a debate. Sure, the thread will take its course, and I can't control it, but I am interested in what people found out for themselves. I am also interested in prices but apparently nobody here pays for their tyres and tyre shops don't give prices on the 'net.

If i had to buy a full new set it would toyo proxies everytime

Fellow Frogger!

This is not intended as a debate. Sure, the thread will take its course, and I can't control it, but I am interested in what people found out for themselves. I am also interested in prices but apparently nobody here pays for their tyres and tyre shops don't give prices on the 'net.
    Sure I get that, it's a competitive space so I understand why.

Tone of my post was a bit tongue in cheek as Tyre threads seem to self populate on AF ( AAAaaarrrrgg) . I get your pain with the chains but you have to cut thru once you get a short list. It's a broad generalization but basically you need to know more that they do and tell them what you want as you drive some weird French thing they don't understand. You just want a price.

My Adrenalins are a bit bigger at 205.50.15 on the Feeearrrt but my feeble memory throws up $170ish. The old G3's were a bargain at <$140. but that was now some time ago and end of stock.

Carbon Black has been mentioned on here B4 and it's never been usefull on this side but over your way I have been lead to understand it can work.

http://www.carbonblack.com.au/Request-Quote.aspx

Bob"s son also has a 'give me a quote' Weblink can't hurt punching the KB a bit.

http://www.bobjane.com.au/contact-us.html?request=quote

Happy hunting
    93' 205GTi
    'don't force it son - use a bigger hammer'

Have only had my 205 GTi Mi16 for a couple of months now and loving driving it.
    Although its a series 1 it came fitted with 15" alloys (speedlines??) French on the LHS and Italian on the RHS. Anyway the tyres fitter are Bob Jane Xenon Z1 195/50R 15 82V.
    No idea of the merrits or lack of for these tyres as I have only been driving the car for a while and haven't explored the limits of adhesion. One "brisk" start I did on an upward inclined concrete driveway resulted in marked wheelspin even though revs were only about 3 to 4K.
    No idea of the price of these tyres or if they are worth buying again. Anybody else had experience with them? Are Bob Jane brand tyres mostly low range or do they make performance tyres as well?

A bit of a search on Google bought this up: "made by Kumho in Korea using their sister branded Marshall. The tread design are the old Marshall 717 pattern. It is about 8 years old (post was in 2006) and has been renamed the Bob Jane Xenon Z1 available in 5 different sizes. They are a directional performance tyre and well priced."
    Seemed to be mixed reviews on them. Price was $89 each then.

Paul
    Last edited by 504-504-504; 26th July 2011 at 01:07 AM.

Default No!

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    r888 would be a bit shady in the wet no?

I have trialed R888's against a stop watch in bitumen motorkhanas and they still have more grip than good road tyres (lower times) .
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Might be time to consider a couple of things I think.

First of all people reply to your query with information they have picked up from various sources and their own opinions and of course a debate will happen due to the nature of the topic. That's the nature of an open thread in a public forum.

Secondly prices of tyres change from day to day. Instead of sarcasm in your reply to a lack of prices in peoples responses why not just ring some of the tyre shops like anyone else would do : )

.... I use anything that smokes!

Woooooooohaaaaaaaa.............. doncha luvit
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Hi,

I just bought a set of 185/60/R14 Bridgestones Adrenalin Potenza RE01. $125/corner from Bob Jane T-mart. Done only 1500 km on them so I can't comment on wear, but they do stick very well to Tassie tarmac (haven't tried them in the "very" wet yet).

Fellow Frogger!

On the subject of why this person didn't simply search out previous threads, well I agree that the search function is pretty useless. In fact the whole website needs an overhaul.

For starters, there should be a gallery section for people to show off their cars and share information.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information