Tell him he's dreaming ...... 70% ?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Tell him he's dreaming ...... 70% ?

Quoted directly from an article posted on the Carsales website. Can't wait for the miracle advertising campaign to achieve these results ...

" The French automaker is preparing to roll out new models and options across its existing range such as stop/start and the world's first diesel hybrid engine. And it's these new offerings as well as all-new models that will help Peugeot increase current sale levels by 70 per cent over the next few years, says Peugeot Australia Managing Director, Ken Thomas."

Advertisement

If they sold one car in Canada next year, it would be a 100% increase.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Default Revolution or Evolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    " The French automaker is preparing to roll ...and the world's first diesel hybrid engine.
    Really? I am no automotive engineering expert, far from it but.... Didn't they start sticking Diesel hybrid engines into railway locomotives 65+ years ago? Haven't there been quite a few in cars in recent years? Or is Peugeot offering actually something new?

Happy to be wrong, but Peugeot aren't doing anything 'new' or revolutionary with their new models, except iterative evolutionary development of existing technologies and styling.

I'd hate to think the next generation of Pugs might have stickers on the quarter panels expounding the amazing new tech. built into the cars. a.k.a. 'Twin Cam on Camrys, when such tech had been in used in cars for decades, or 'S.I.P.S.' on crappy Volvos.. - which admittedly was an engineering development worth incorporating, but not what I'd call advanced or revolutionary.

True my 'Mi16' is a bit the same so I will crawl back to my corner...... Still heated side-view mirrors in the 80s was unusual.... I have actually had to explain that they are designed to de-fog the mirrors not warm them so that you don't get chilly fingers if you reach outside to adjust them....

This begs the question what if anything has Peugeot done in the past 20 years that could be considered revolutionary? Is there anything they have put in their production cars that was/is years ahead of other car makers?
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

Quote Originally Posted by paulrb View Post
    This begs the question what if anything has Peugeot done in the past 20 years that could be considered revolutionary? Is there anything they have put in their production cars that was/is years ahead of other car makers?
    Peugeot were first to market with common rail and particulate filters, weren't they?
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

10 + 70% is only 17.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

If new car buyers like the 508 they will buy it - just don't expect them to wave to you.

Really? I am no automotive engineering expert, far from it but.... Didn't they start sticking Diesel hybrid engines into railway locomotives 65+ years ago? Haven't there been quite a few in cars in recent years? Or is Peugeot offering actually something new?

Happy to be wrong, but Peugeot aren't doing anything 'new' or revolutionary with their new models, except iterative evolutionary development of existing technologies and styling. ....snip....
    I think Pug are talking about Diesel / Electric combo's in cars....are there any other such hybrids on the market ?

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Really? I am no automotive engineering expert, far from it but.... Didn't they start sticking Diesel hybrid engines into railway locomotives 65+ years ago?
    Not quite right. Diesel electric locos use diesels to generate current for the electric motors mounted on the axles - similar to those big mining trucks. There isn't a battery involved.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by 2353 View Post
    Not quite right. Diesel electric locos use diesels to generate current for the electric motors mounted on the axles - similar to those big mining trucks. There isn't a battery involved.
    Correct, but I hear the Peugeot doesn't use batteries either... its using gi-mungous freekin' capacitor. You know, like the flux capacitor in the Doc's De Lorean! This has got to be a first in a proddy car. Very clever.

2011 Peugeot 207 HDi Touring Outdoor

2004 Peugeot 206 XT 1.6 Manual.

Past: 1953 Thames 100E van, 1966 Austin 1800, 1972 XA Falcon V8, 1973 Peugeot 504,
    1984 Mitsubishi Colt, Holden HX Kingswood, 1983 Toyota Corolla XX, 1988 Toyota Corolla 4WD, 2007 Peugeot 307XSE. + various company Falcauriodores.

Next: 2007 Peugeot 407HDi Coupe

I think they mean like this

Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Correct, but I hear the Peugeot doesn't use batteries either... its using gi-mungous freekin' capacitor. You know, like the flux capacitor in the Doc's De Lorean! This has got to be a first in a proddy car. Very clever.
    Except Holden got in first about 10 years ago, with a CSRIO developed capacitor. Another example of Austra;ian ingenuity gone to waste.
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

There is one difference with the Pug diesel electric combination - they do not use a complex drive chain all cobbled together at the front. The electric motors are completely separate driving the rear wheels. A simple solution which, when batteries become good enough simply requires the diesel drivechain at the front to be replaced by batteries and two more electric motors and there's your all electric vehicle.

Now THAT's something no one else is doing. The CSIRO ultra battery is a very sensible solution to the battery question which has been ignored - too easy I expect

Banned

Really? I am no automotive engineering expert, far from it but.... Didn't they start sticking Diesel hybrid engines into railway locomotives 65+ years ago? Haven't there been quite a few in cars in recent years? Or is Peugeot offering actually something new? ?

Peugeot shows off diesel hybrid
    By Jorn Madslien

Business reporter, BBC News, Paris motor show
    The world's first production-ready passenger car powered by both a diesel engine and an electric motor will be shown to the public this Saturday.

The Peugeot 3008 Hybrid 4, revealed at the Paris motor show, is powered by a 163 horsepower diesel engine that drives the front wheels.

In addition, it has a 37 horsepower electric engine that powers the rears.

The car emits less than 100 grammes of carbon dioxide per kilometre, Peugeot says.

'Too expensive'

Peugeot's 3008 diesel-electric hybrid is noteworthy, but not necessarily because of any revolutionary technology.

Technically, anyone could have done what Peugeot has done, industry observers say, namely combining frugal diesel engines with battery power in order to cut overall emissions.

Indeed, many other carmakers have previously shown similar concepts, indicating that they have been looking into the possibility of producing diesel hybrids in the future.

So far, however, rivals have steered clear of the solution, largely because it is deemed too expensive, according to Didier Leroy, president of Toyota Motor Europe.

The car is expected to cost around 30,000 euros when it goes on sale "We have diesel hybrids for light trucks," he tells BBC News in an interview, but he insists the additional cost of a diesel does not deliver sufficient efficiency improvements for the money.

Moreover, he adds, diesel hybrids are not as smooth to drive as petrol hybrids.

High cost car

Diesel engines tend to be more expensive than petrol engines, though in return they tend to be less thirsty and emit less carbon dioxide.

A price for the car has yet to be revealed, but it is expected to cost about 30,000 euros (£25,985), about 10,000 euros more than the cheapest petrol-only version.

It is expected to arrive in the showrooms during spring 2011.

PSA Peugeot Citroen executives believe customers will be ready to pay a premium for greater fuel efficiency.

The technology may also be used in other Peugeot and Citroen models, the company says.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11452568

So that article mentions the continuing use of battery power.....which is correct ? Battery or capacitor ?

I'm still waiting for AA and AAA batteries to transition to capacitors....

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Nice attempt at justification for why the Prius is petrol there from Toyota.

Here was cynical me thinking that it's because the US and Japan don't do diesel and they're the Priuseses biggest market.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Quote Originally Posted by Uffee View Post
    Nice attempt at justification for why the Prius is petrol there from Toyota.

Here was cynical me thinking that it's because the US and Japan don't do diesel and they're the Priuseses biggest market.
    This article refers to the 3008 hybrid and batteries.
    I think I read that the new 508 hybrid technology will use a capacitor - 600farad. Thats big mate!

Past: 1953 Thames 100E van, 1966 Austin 1800, 1972 XA Falcon V8, 1973 Peugeot 504,
    1984 Mitsubishi Colt, Holden HX Kingswood, 1983 Toyota Corolla XX, 1988 Toyota Corolla 4WD, 2007 Peugeot 307XSE. + various company Falcauriodores.

Just make sure you hold on tight and put the anti flash gear on for when the capacitor discharges - CRACK, Flash and BLAMM.....and away we go; just like one of Wylie Cayote's spring rockets in the road runner......one trip per charge....we used to charge them up in our electrical workshop and chuck them at the apprentices to catch and watch the blue flash!!

VIP Sponsor

I think I read that the new 508 hybrid technology will use a capacitor - 600farad. Thats big mate!
    Yes, since large capacitors are normally rated in microfarads (millionths of a farad).
    I've seen a very small 1 farad capacitor, but only rated at 5 volts.
    Graham

And if reckon earthing out a 12V battery is nasty doing the 'wrong' thing with a 600 Farad capacitor will be fatal and you will be well on the way to being cremated.
    Interesting to see how it's laid out and how they control the energy flow ie voltage range and output type. Regen charging springs to mind and well proven. One problem I can foresee is when lifting off the throttle the car could slow much quicker than a following motorist realises as the 'engine' braking effect could be much higher for greater benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    And if reckon earthing out a 12V battery is nasty doing the 'wrong' thing with a 600 Farad capacitor will be fatal and you will be well on the way to being cremated.
    Interesting to see how it's laid out and how they control the energy flow ie voltage range and output type. Regen charging springs to mind and well proven. One problem I can foresee is when lifting off the throttle the car could slow much quicker than a following motorist realises as the 'engine' braking effect could be much higher for greater benefit.
    Well, appropriate charge and discharge rates are easily controlled using electronics. I am sure that the braking would be controlled much as it is now with the driver in control of the situation. Its great to see that energy, normally wasted during braking is being stored for later use. This is much like the KERS system in bore-mula 1, except the energy is used to get the car moving from standstill an up to some predetermined speed, rather than, as in F1, at the drivers discretion - like overtaking Gran in Woolies carpark.

Thread Information