Cool air- no Hot air
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigwal

Thread: Cool air- no Hot air

Tadpole

Icon9 Cool air- no Hot air

Hi again,

My poor old '02 206 GTi is in the wars at the moment- I need some assistance cause I'm told this could potentially be a dash-off job that will cost a fortune.

Basically, no matter what temperature I have on the climate control, it always pumps out cold air (approx. 20 degrees). The fan works fine on all speeds, and if I turn the a/c off to "econ", it makes no difference.

The coolant level is fine, and both pipes are hot going into the firewall. There is not leak of water on the passenger footwell, suggesting the matrix might be OK.

My question is, could this be a common heater blower issue or worse? Scouring the web I know he 307's have a known issue with the control flap cogs failing, but this is usually for a dual climate control. Could a heat flap be it?

Has anyone heard of a fix for this particular issue without my mechanic having to spend $$$ of labour?

Your assistance is again much appreciated

Big Wal

Advertisement

Sounds to me like a stepper motor has failed. On my 405 it wasn't an epic cost to fix.

Monsieur 405

Don't rule out the actual heater contol panel. (The bit you press buttons on to change the heat.)
    Dave Cavanagh at french connection has them.
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Tadpole

Thanks gents.

I have heard of the stepper motor in the engine, but not for heating and fans. Would it be called anything else? Assuming this may also be attached to the heater blower.

I removed the glovebox last night to have a look but I'm just haven't worked around cars enough to know what I'm looking at (technically speaking).

Maybe if the car was hooked upto a scanner it may show an error with the control panel.

bigwal

I'm not sure if thats the correct term, but you could call them servo motors as well? Basically, the little motors that move the flaps within the HVAC system. I can't speak for the 206, but in my car there's 2 of the buggers, one for sealing off the cabin from outside air, and another that shifts a flap between the hot and cold air, giving you a blend of the two.

Monsieur 405

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur 405 View Post
    and another that shifts a flap between the hot and cold air, giving you a blend of the two.

Monsieur 405
    Yeap.. and it is a 'Stepped motor' because instead of spinning around, it is designed to move to a predetermined point and back again. So for example it might be geared to rotate ten time then stop. And your flap is geared to open or close partially at ten and go from open on the cold side to open on the hot side after 20 rotations... Well that sort of thing.

A mechanic can remove your whole dash console and replace it in two to three fours. I did my first 306 some years ago and it took a full day as I had to figure out what the feck I was doing. It is an easy job, just time consuming.

If you open up the fascia panel you can access the ducts leading into the heater unit. Remove one of these and you will be able to get your hand onto the flap itself. It should be possible to shift the flap to change the air mix. I did it on my 306 and and confidant the 206 won't be too different. This should at least help you pin down the problem before you start spending cash.

I'd then go for second hand parts from Mr Cavanagh and family (nice people who will give you all the help in the world and not sell you stuff you don't need.) And fit them yourself. A mechanic would set you back at least $200 for labour to get into the dash, probably closer to $400. So long as you have a set of torx tools, a screw driver or three and a socket set, you will be fine. Of course getting the steering wheel off is usually the hardest bit (ensuring you don't wake up your airbag!) ..... the rest is just fiddly.....
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

Tadpole

That's awesome- thanks heaps for all the feedback.

I'm taking the old girl (the car) to a mechanic who will hook it up to the diag, which will rule out anything electrical, just in case it is the control panel.

I'll then spend the afternoon at least attempting to turn the flaps to give some form of heat, cause it's COLD here at the moment!!

I'll post back how it goes for a bit of FYI.

Cheers

bigwal

Tadpole

Evening all,

An interesting development in my hot air/ cold air saga. I got old-mate to plug the diag tool into the car, which came up with no faults (even though the was no sub-section for air con per say).

He started the car up anyway, and low and behold hot air. Fair dinkum, they always so the fault disappears when you turn upto a mechanic.

He changed the temp up and down, and whilst it was not particularly changin temp down, it was still pumping out hot air. After I left saying he had just saved my marriage, I was driving home and was fiddling around with the Climate Control and turned it to 28 when I heard THUMP- that is to say the control flap opening all the way to hot.

Problem was, it was not cooling down. I got back home, removed the c/c panel and cleaned the dust off, restarted and then drove around, only for the temp not to go down until it I cranked it on 28 and THUMP again.

Any ideas on this clarification of symptoms?

Bigwal

Tadpole

Default Fixed (sort-of)

Hi again,

Being I was getting no help from the local mechanic who seemed intent on taking the dash off to find the problem, I took the little one to European Motor Works in Rozelle, and was told it was either the flaps themselves or the stepped motor.

And now it's fixed!

The diagnosis was the 'cog' that turns the flaps had snapped in half. This was then glued back together and cable tied for some more strength.

The 307 has a replacement kit for the cog as they break all the time, but the 206 has a hexagonal cog that is within the actual heater itself. If the cog breaks again the only fix is to replace the entire heater system, as Peugeot don't have a part to fix it. Replace it or manually change the flap.

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback and at this stage it's all good.

Have a good one

bigwal

There was talk around here of getting cheaper replacement cogs from RC car/ hobby shops...

Monsieur 405

1000+ Posts

Default 02 206

maybe theyv changed the system from the old 405 flap motor which was replaceable under the dash ,when it chewed out the nylon cogs ,to my understanding ,climate control samples the cabin tenp then introduces hot or cold air to achieve the temp set on the dial .therefor twiding the dial around ,dousnt help ,these things take time ,sounds like an intermitent fault ,but you can hear the flap ,it wont just go from hot to cold as you turn the dial ,PUGS

Tadpole

Icon14 Proper Fixed

Hi all,

The problem has been sorted. I called Hayden at Pugwreck in Bayswater who knew exactly the part I was looking for (good bloke).

The actual heater flap control (white plastic bit) sticks into the mixer flap. It is a case of very carefully leverring the piece out of the hole and replacing. The hardest part of the whole thing was rescrewing the reduction gear back onto the heater box!

So, if any other 206 drivers have the same problem, the piece CANNOT be bought from Peugeot seperately. I had numerous mechanics tell me it was part# 6447QN, which is the reduction gear (motor). Whilst technically this is correct, the white bit that comes with part is not the correct one.

I have attached a shot of the pieces (new and old) just in case anyone is interested in the future.

Thanks to Pugwreck and Aussie Frogs

Cheers,

Bigwal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cool air- no Hot air-photo.jpg   Cool air- no Hot air-car-002-medium-.jpg  
    kirut likes this.

Thread Information