auto gearbox problem on 206 - fixed
  • Register
  • Help

auto gearbox problem on 206 - fixed

Today,I & Gary (Gold 307) went to Asquith & johnstone service centre for my 5000km service and oil change. I've asked them to have a look at my auto gearbox regarding the 'rough' gear changing and gear holding problems. Matt - the service advisor told us that the problem can be fixed by downloading a new version to the ECU.

Advertisement

When i picked up the car this afternon and have a test drive on the car, i was shocked, can't even feel the gears changed, it was so smooth, so bloody fantastic. For the first time since i picked up my car, i was able to test out the sport mode in my gearbox.

Any froggies with an auto gearbox problem should go back to the dealer and ask them for an upgrade.

They didn't charge me anything as it's part of warranty.

Wil

sorry, wrong symbols, should be thumbs-up not down

Goodo, is the software update applicable to the 307? The car's auto seems to be good now (maybe I'm getting used to it) - I'm probably getting used to its quirks. I suppose everytime it feels a tad odd, I just think of the weirdo Clio autobox (somebody tell Renault that sometimes you don't want to have the box change at 5000 with a little throttle).

What was preventing you from using sports mode before - I don't dare to touch it yet. 400km on the clock and counting.

Was the 5000km service voluntary (ie. at your request)? I've been told there's a free checkup at 10,000km, and then your have your service at 20,000.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

applicable to 307? very good Qs, may need to go back to your dealer's service centre and ask them. It could well be the same solution to the 307 as well.

Just have to play hard on them, give them a whip and they will fix anything (only warranty jobs)for you......................

Wil

Tadpole
    Been a problem with 206 auto's over here
    we replace the oil pressure sensors cos they're faulty
    (both lights flash)
    usually cures it
    i have instituted my own mod (which peugeot uk have since put out)
    fill gearbox to correct level(needs diag2000(or whatever its called there))then add 500ml extra
    works a treat
    mention it if further problems start
    regards Jeff,Leeds.UK

Welcome onboard Jeff! Great to have a Peugeot tech onboard.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

blush What is the actual problem with the 1.4 16v automatic clio?
    Everyone says that the box is bad but what is wrong with it?
    If it has problems I think I might stick my auto Renault19...it is probably cheaper if something goes wrong.. blush

Daniel, this is the Peugeot forum, the subject car in this topic is a Pug 206, not a Renault!.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

G'day Daniel,

I'll answer your question here. The problem with the Clio's autobox is its logic; the so called "proactive" gearbox.

It holds onto gears for far too long (much worse than any sports mode I've ever come across, I'm talking about changes at ~4500rpm with small thorttle inputs) - for no apparent benefit in acceleration - only more noise. Driving on the freeway, it will hold onto 3rd, and may change into 4th about a minute or so after you've reached cruising speed. If you turn overdrive off, then back on again, you can 'encourage' it go to into 4th.

Renault's excuse is that it's a proactive gearbox, and hence requires time to learn. I always have my reservations about gearboxes that learn - how can they properly learn if you never actually shift the gears yourself. The salesman's excuse was, "Oh, I had a friend, who was a former racing driver, and when he drove the car it knew immediately what style he wanted".

Drive one. If you're used to normal automatic boxes (ie. basically anything not French), you'll see what I mean. It's the weakest link in a sound car.

Understand what I mean

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I had a problem with my gearbox this morning. It stalled my car. When I first started the car, it was ok, then when i put the gear into 'reverse', the car stalled......

My friend told me that it's a popular problem with the 206 auto.........

Wil

1000+ Posts
    Wilson,

It's probably just cos the engine was cold.
    Dad's XM did it to me the other day too.

Don't worry too much. In the XM it's usually not a problem cos you need to let it run for 30 seconds or so to let it rise in the morning, which gives it a chance to warm up a little. I guess I jumped the gun.

Derek.

Tadpole
    sounds more like the classic coil pack fault,what make is the coil? electrofil or sagem.
    If it's a sagem it needs changing to electrofil(Warranty Job)

Thread Information