XU9 rebuild inevitable?
  • Register
  • Help

Default XU9 rebuild inevitable?

Hi all,

Advertisement

My currently stock dfz has 205,000km. I just serviced her today and there was a bit of a milkshake in the oil breather although no water in the sump. It may be the beginnings of a head gasket - I didn't get time to give it a compression test so I don't know at the moment. A bit of steam comes out the exhaust on start-up but runs clean after about 30 seconds. I just hope it's not a hairline crack in a bore...

Anyways, I've got grand plans for it.

I have a blueprinted s3 big valve head with custom PeterT billet cam, wolf ECU, custom intake/throttle body that I want to run.

Here are my options:

1) bolt all my goodies onto the existing bottom end and drive it 'till it breaks, which could be 2 minutes or 2 years. I risk a gasket set, head bolts, a few days of stuffing around and then having the car off the road for an extended period of time when it does go "bang".

2) pull the car off the road and rebuild the bottom end, plonk the head on that and away I go. The downside is having the car off the road for an extended period of time which I'm not particularly keen on, as a second car is very handy (although not driven every day).

3) get a "suitable for reconditioning" DFZ bottom end/long motor and rebuild that while driving the stock motor around. The risks are getting a lemon with a stuffed crank or knackered sleeves, and a bit of extra cash.

What do you reckon?
    Does anyone have a dfz that they're willing to sell me that is known to be in repairable condition?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

you do realize that this time of year and especially if you are doing some short trips that there will be mayo appear in the filler cap and the breather
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

I did as detailed in your option 1.

Refurbed the head, new cam belt, head gasket & bolts, water pump and lots of other things on the way. Got it all back together and it was super tight. 4 weeks later the bead bolts pulled out of the block. The aluminium threads in the block must have been bad & worn (i did have one helicoiled) but lost al the time, some of the parts and effort in doing it. My fault I know, but in hindsight, I should hae done the bottom end when it was out.

Lucky for me I had allready bought an Mi16 and was being stored at a mates house till the right time so it wasn't as biggy.

If you have the time, funds and want to learn lots along the way, go option two.

Moo
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    you do realize that this time of year and especially if you are doing some short trips that there will be mayo appear in the filler cap and the breather
    I wondered whether the weather (which has been quite cold and wet lately here in Radelaide) had anything to do with it - I only bought this thing last summer. I'll still run a compression test for peace of mind.

I'd still be interested if someones got a dfz kicking around.

Figure out what the problem is.

You may find that its not really that nasty, or it could terminal. I'd be inclined to drain the oil and then drop the sump off the engine. If there is a real chance of head gasket failure, short of removing the head, what ever gunk (if any) will be in there.

As you for your options, take the car off road and do the rebuild correctly. Having said that, the setup you are looking at running requires some revving to have fun which in turn can (potentially) make it difficult to drive on the street. Make sure you have someone tune it right.

I know of a 205GTI that has this setup and driven it a few times and it is some serious fun. Its actually for sale.

Chris

Mine had mayonnaise from new until when it died of.....head gasket falure at 366,000 km. So it is normal, usually, especially in winter.

RIP my former 405....
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    2013 Ford Fiesta SE 1.6 manual
    2006 smart BRABUS Tailor-Made Canada 1 cabriolet
    2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200

Mins sometimes has, then goes away. Seasonal and depending on length of trips etc at the time. Take it for a long drive after you change the oil and clean the suspect items and go from there

Cam

Thread Information