buying a mi16 with xu10j4z?
  • Register
  • Help

Default buying a mi16 with xu10j4z?

im thinking of buying a 1993 405 mi16 to get me to work and back for the next 12 months.
    it seems to be in pretty good condition apart from paint which i dont mind and is rego til april next year. they are asking around $1500 as is, with reg, but i need to get the rwc.
    it has good tyres and screen and i dont think it would take much to pass rwc as it seems to be well looked after with a very good full service history.

the motor is my main concern as the books show that the belt was done not long ago but it has a noisey tensioner? apperantly a mechanic has had a look at it and say it should be fine and no need to worry but it should be replaced.

can anybody tell me if there is any thing else i should watch out for on this model?
    mainly the engine, as in the back of my mind, i would like to put the engine into a 205 i have this time next year.

would this make a suitable donor car for a 205 16v conversion? its done around 240km and from what i can see is a xu10j4z RFY from what i understand it is a 2ltr cast iron block same as what is used in the s16 306

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails buying a mi16 with xu10j4z?-motor.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by djvu205 View Post
    im thinking of buying a 1993 405 mi16 to get me to work and back for the next 12 months.
    it seems to be in pretty good condition apart from paint which i dont mind and is rego til april next year. they are asking around $1500 as is, with reg, but i need to get the rwc.
    it has good tyres and screen and i dont think it would take much to pass rwc as it seems to be well looked after with a very good full service history.

the motor is my main concern as the books show that the belt was done not long ago but it has a noisey tensioner? apperantly a mechanic has had a look at it and say it should be fine and no need to worry but it should be replaced.

can anybody tell me if there is any thing else i should watch out for on this model?
    mainly the engine, as in the back of my mind, i would like to put the engine into a 205 i have this time next year.

would this make a suitable donor car for a 205 16v conversion? its done around 240km and from what i can see is a xu10j4z RFY from what i understand it is a 2ltr cast iron block same as what is used in the s16 306
    Is that the burgandy one in Strathmore?
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

David its not that one. whats it like though?

David its not that one. whats it like though?
    Sounds about the same as the one you've found. Roughly the same KM. Paint faded but drives really well and priced about the same.
    Owner is a close friend and had the car for years and years (10 or more) and just bought a new Skoda so it has to go.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Yes. I believe same motor as the S16. Worth a rebuild with those Ks while is out if your going to put it in the 205. Worth putting a 88mm crank in while its apart to gain a few cc and compression. Perfect to fit different cams etc. A cheap upgrade with worthwhile gains

Cam
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Fellow Frogger!

With that many kilometres it will be stuffed.

Get a 306XSI with heaps lower kms and use that motor, like robert riggs car
    Adrian Wuillemin

i was sort of thinking that, 240km is getting a bit high and i would need a rebuild it if i do a transplant later. the only reason it was attractive was because i need a car to get around in now. it gets me quick and easy transport and then i could use the engine after. i spose thats as long as it dont crap its self in the mean time. i know it should stay there and the rattly tensioner bothers me but im exploring all options.

i have been keeping an eye out for a xsi Adrian but nothing has poped up yet. what would you class as low kms? most of the ones i have seen have had between 170-220km. some higher.

should also ad that the price for a low milage xsi goes up a far bit more also. well at least the ones i have looked at.
    Last edited by djvu205; 7th July 2011 at 07:40 PM.

should also ad that the price for a low milage xsi goes up a far bit more also. well at least the ones i have looked at.
    But its less rebuilding...

Chris

i have been keeping an eye out for a xsi Adrian but nothing has poped up yet. what would you class as low kms? most of the ones i have seen have had between 170-220km. some higher.

We have an XT with the XU10J4R motor and only 103k coming onto the market soon. Great car but will be more $ than the one you are looking at.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Current: 205 GTI, 407 SV
    The Family: Citrun DS3
    For Sale: Megane III

Thread Information