cooling/overheating
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default cooling/overheating

My new daily drive is a Gti 180, whose most attractive feature (yes, even more fantastic than the thrills) is that it is road-registered, and therefore legal. Unlike all my 306's which are undergoing a wide variety of "adjustments". I have had 504's as well as a 505 Gti, of which I was inclined to accept tendencies to overheat, occasionally running to blown head gasket. It usually went in tandem with smells of ethylene glycol ('purest green' see Blackadder/Sir Percy) when not on plain water - no inhibitor. With the old favourites, it seemed like they mostly were suffering a hardening of the arteries from old age. Driving the 206 Gti currently, particularly in traffic, I am getting the same smell; while the needle reads well above half-way, it is nowhere near the red area, so hopefully no cause for alarm. I read a post here a few weeks back in which a member related his experiences with an explanation of a fix he did, which involved changing a relay in the radiator panel, presumably causing the thermo fan to cut in earlier. Could my problem be the same one. Is anyone driving a 206 regularly, able to suggest anything helpful.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Nothing like providing a quick (part) reply to your own post. My SnapOn mate is a licenced mechanic, and this morning he gave me the benefit of his own experience; he inherited my 505 Gti a couple of years ago - it is his regular transport. He reckons a big part of the problem lies (the car has covered about 350,000 km, with the expected replacements along the way) lies with the wearing of the viscous fan. If it is anything like original, the coupling is probably cactus, and not pulling air when it is most needed

Tadpole

The GTi wont have a viscous fan, would be purely electric.

Try running A/C and see of that brings temp down... The cooling fans should run continuously with it on

Fellow Frogger!

You shouldn't be getting any smells of coolant regardless. You have a leak from somewhere. Possible that the thermostat is not completely open? There are heaps of possibilities.

Fellow Frogger!

My reference to the viscous fan was a reference to the 504 and 505. My mate inherited my 505Gti and has been driving it for a couple of years. I am now driving a Gti 180, and I am beginning to suspect a coolant leak, perhaps from a hose, or the thermostat housing. Thanks for the feedback.

Thread Information