WTB - 203 Windscreen rubber
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default 203 Resto Tips & Tricks

I'm about ready to paint one of my 203's. The chrome trims are all redone etc, but I cant find anyone who has the winscreen rubbers ( back & front) for sale.

Advertisement

The regular australian supplier of Old Auto Rubber seems not to stock them any more, and i have drawn a blank in Europe.
    Nothing on eBay - but perhaps thats mon abysmal franglais

Does anyone have any clues I can follow up?

TIA
    DaveB
    Last edited by DaveB; 9th July 2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Scope changed

1000+ Posts

I wonder who supplied Scotts? It might be possible to have them made up, particularly if a few of us ordered together.

Are you sure Scott's no longer supply them? A look at their website http://www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au/ shows they are still listed.
    I bought a pair (1 front, 1 rear)from them about this time last year. Thinking about it, it might've been two years ago. Hey, funny how time slips away!
    Five or six years back Alastair got me a pair from France I think, but they weren't specifically front and rear, which meant there'd be a joint somewhere. They're still here somewhere. Maybe. I think.
    Or maybe he only got me one length, can't remember, I'll have a hunt about.
    But you're welcome to what I've got if you're struggling.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Hi Cats

I got the email reply from Scott's yesterday advising they didn't have any.
    Quite a few months ago I heard they were not in stock and were going to have a production run, so I delayed as long as i could.
    Yesterdays email didnt mention when or if they would come back into stock, but promised me $15 freight on two tiny trafficator rubbers, the only other thing I mentioned in my order.

Spectrum rubber supply scotts. they only had one small rear window rubber, which i bought.
    They have no plans for a rerun, despite putting me on hold and giving me hold messages that they could supply anything listed and "short runs are our speciality". Just as much BS as the normal " your call is important to us" hold message.

As the front 'screen rubbers are what I really need, i'll keep hunting.
    The last ones i bought (1989) from Scott's rubbers had a join, as you mention.

Who is this Alastair, is he the lead I need? (Whoa, i didnt know it, i'm a poet

Thanks for the offer, if all else fails I may have to take you up.
    Have to stop the rain getting in somehow.

DB
    Last edited by DaveB; 6th July 2011 at 10:34 AM.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Hi Cats

I got the email reply from Scott's yesterday advising they didn't have any.
    Quite a few months ago I heard they were not in stock and were going to have a production run, so I delayed as long as i could.
    Yesterdays email didnt mention when or if they would come back into stock, but promised me $15 freight on two tiny trafficator rubbers, the only other thing I mentioned in my order.

Spectrum rubber supply scotts. they only had one small rear window rubber, which i bought.
    They have no plans for a rerun, despite putting me on hold and giving me hold messages that they could supply anything listed and "short runs are our speciality". Just as much BS as the normal " your call is important to us" hold message.

As the front 'screen rubbers are what I really need, i'll keep hunting.
    The last ones i bought (1989) from Scott's rubbers had a join, as you mention.

DB
    Neo Retro have them listed.
    http://www.neoretrofrance.com/v9/php...t.php?root=203
    I would give Scotts a call, I see no reason why they won't be getting more made. I twould have better to have put an order in rather than delaying, more incentive to do the production run.
    All rubbers are joined.
    I noticed that NR still had diff seals listed, so I ordered one. I think the postage is wrong, 31 Euro!
    Hopefully they will correct this, if not at least we will find out if there are any available.
    Even at that price it is worth buying, the cars are unusuable without a working diff seal.
    Graham
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 6th July 2011 at 10:56 AM.

1000+ Posts

Dave , I'm currently waiting on my windscreen rubbers from here:

http://www.veteranen-fischer.de/scri...dex.php?lng=en

He says they were sent on 14th June but they went economy. Seems a long time even for that but I spose they'll arrive in a week or so. I'd pay for priority if I was ordering again.

I'm currently waiting for Spectrum rubber to get me some bailey channel as well. But every week they say it will be next week and they say they'll email their UK supplier tommorrow but then another week goes by. This has been going on for about 6 months. I think the truth is they have a cashflow problem with their ordering . Plus they sent me a back order that I had cancelled three times. Maybe they're on drugs or sumthin.

So Cats , do you know where I might get that bailey channel in UK? Or anyone else know where I might find it? I need 6metres rather than the 7.2 as listed at Spectrum. I guess 7.2 must be the 1949 model's requirements as I've measured mine and there'll be a bit left at 6m. They did send me the straight stuff, so maybe the flexible stuff could have been used in the straight runs as well.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    Dave , I'm currently waiting on my windscreen rubbers from here:

He says they were sent on 14th June but they went economy. Seems a long time even for that but I spose they'll arrive in a week or so. I'd pay for priority if I was ordering again.

I'm currently waiting for Spectrum rubber to get me some bailey channel as well. But every week they say it will be next week and they say they'll email their UK supplier tommorrow but then another week goes by. This has been going on for about 6 months. I think the truth is they have a cashflow problem with their ordering . Plus they sent me a back order that I had cancelled three times. Maybe they're on drugs or sumthin.

So Cats , do you know where I might get that bailey channel in UK? Or anyone else know where I might find it? I need 6metres rather than the 7.2 as listed at Spectrum. I guess 7.2 must be the 1949 model's requirements as I've measured mine and there'll be a bit left at 6m. They did send me the straight stuff, so maybe the flexible stuff could have been used in the straight runs as well.
    There was some of the late Gordon Millers parts for sale at the PCCV meeting on Friday evening.
    I got a roll of Bailey channel, there was another roll which still may be available. Wouldn't be 7m but may get you started.
    There were also a couple of the cast aluminium steering column top / gear lever mounts, I got one but the other still may be available. These will need machining to finish off.
    If anyone is interested I will make an enquiry for you.
    Graham

Folks

Thanks for all the replies. I'll follow the clues.

I'm at work with a plane to catch - literally, so cant chat but need to say i'm interested in the alloy column top gearlever mount.

Best regards
    DB

1000+ Posts

Bailey Channel is in stock at Scotts. I've ordered it and paid for it.
    Hooray.

Fellow Frogger!

Now you do know that the bailey channel is two different sizes on the front doors? (I think) tighter/narrower channel to the front and looser/wider on the B-pillar side. If you use all narrow the window will tend to stick and if you use all wider it will rattle.
    FLASH

1000+ Posts

No, wasn't aware of different sizes, however there is straight and flexible. Maybe this accounts for those differences. I already have the straight stuff fitted and have ordered the flexible stuff for the rest.
    No-one has made this suggestion before and now it's ordered and paid for so I hope to christ it's right. It's been a really long time coming and it's beginning to wear a bit thin.

But thanks anyway mister Flash.

Fellow Frogger!

Default 203

Dan, as much as i dislike OBriens monopolist attitude try them for screen rubber they did a mates car in Canberra a few years back.
    good luck

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    Dan, as much as i dislike OBriens monopolist attitude try them for screen rubber they did a mates car in Canberra a few years back.
    good luck
    Colin, I know , you said that before but I've had a windscreen cut at Obriens and they knew nothing about rubbers and further to that I've ordered and paid for rubbers from Hannes Fischer in Germany which should be due any day now.
    Anything your mate had done a few years ago is not any longer relevant unfortunately. These things change over time.

But I really appreciate all your help and encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post

DB
    Alastair is an English gentleman, one of Russell's pals. For a moment there I had mistaken you for Russell. Apologies if any offence was caused.

I bought all my rubbers from Scott's, the full set for the car, because I wasn't too sure about the sizes etc. to try a British supplier.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Fellow Frogger!

Luthier mentioning Hannes Fischer bought back memories, the late Gordon Miller and myself visited the Fischer establishment along with Neo Retro and Depanato when we went to the Peugeot centenary in 1990. Gordon had been trying to establish a dialogue with Fischer prior to our trip but to no avail, so when we arrived in Frankfurt we paid him a visit , the look on his face when Gordon announced who he was and where he was from was worth the trip, as it turned out he had no English at all,but as luck would have it another German couple from Berlin were visiting at the same time and the chap was fluent in English so he interpreted for us . The guy from Berlin was Andre Schaffer (spell) who was a 203 enthusiast, and he introduced us to the amber lenses which his club had made by Hella (from memory)to convert 203C tail lights to incorporate a turn indicator, we imported a number of these over the years.

Cheers
    Graham Lewis

1000+ Posts

Graham,
    I have to mention here that I modified my taillights on the 203, by grinding /sanding off the inner coating on the reflector and fitted a festoon globe in there for the indicator. No extra lense is necessary if you have the originals.

Fellow Frogger!

I've been watching mate, I made a spring loaded festoon globe holder from a set of 504 points, knocked out the contacts for the pointed ends to fit in and a bit of tweaking with the pliers, also made new housings from flat galv. iron , by wrapping heavy brown paper around a good one and making a pattern then transferring it to the galvo, the join is down the bottom out of sight, surprisingly they don't have any compound curves to make it difficult. These went on a 203A .

Cheers
    Graham Lewis

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Lewis View Post
    I've been watching mate, I made a spring loaded festoon globe holder from a set of 504 points, knocked out the contacts for the pointed ends to fit in and a bit of tweaking with the pliers, also made new housings from flat galv. iron , by wrapping heavy brown paper around a good one and making a pattern then transferring it to the galvo, the join is down the bottom out of sight, surprisingly they don't have any compound curves to make it difficult. These went on a 203A .

Cheers
    Graham Lewis
    Of course, old sets of points. Good thinking 99.

Yes, great tips for keeping 203s on the road.

My contribution - very happy with my "123 Ignition" brand electronic distributor.
    really does seem to compensate for uneven compression & richness, and less than aoptimal spark plugs.

So impressed, I have just bought another. But it pays to shop about. If you are not careful, you'll end up buying at prices set before the Aussie dollar rose. Bought mine on ebay from USA, saved over $100. But a word of caution. Many US sales have outrageous postage to Australia. So, carefully check the cost of postage before you commit to buy.

And no, still no replies to my emails about the windscreen rubber.
    Getting desperate, as my leave time to paint the car is very close :-((

Fellow Frogger!

I'll have to stop reading these 203 posts, that itch is coming back.

Cheers
    Graham Lewis

1000+ Posts

Really, you've tried Hannes here :

He has replied quickly every time I emailed him.

Luthier

I went thru the website.
    Placed my order, qaid my dosh, asked for a reply.
    Nothing.
    I'll give him tonight, monday daytime for him to respond, then email an inquiry again.

Starting to think perhaps I'm destined to have it as a ratrod ...
    Thanks for the link but it doesn't doesn't work for me.

1000+ Posts

Dave the direct email is here:

[email protected]

I hope you get some joy from him having paid your money. Damn.

NeoRetro windscreen rubber is this one.

CARROSSERIE

PARE BRISE ET VITRE

Joint de pare brise berline et utilitaires, prt poser 5066

But I don't know if they are in stock.

Let me know how you get on with Hannes. I'm still waiting since the 14th June. But it went economy.

Hmm, I just checked and the money hasn't been removed from my account yet.
    Has he taken yours?

No reply from Neo-Retro either.

Its just temporary, surely one of them is bound to come good eventually.
    At this rate i'll need 2 windscreen seals by the time they become available.

1000+ Posts

My money was taken by Fischer and I fully expect to get the goods, I just shouldn't have sent it economy.
    I did have a problem with their online ordering thingo though, now that you mention it. I thought it must have just been my slow computer.
    Did you write to Neo Retro in French or Anglaise?
    I sent them a request a while back, written in Anglaise, for one of their catalogues in English. They simply emailed me another copy of the French version which I had already downloaded.
    You get that with the frogs. They only speak to you if you make the effort. So I just sent NeoRetro a request , asking if they have the windscreen seals , front and back, in stock, and how much to send to L'australie? Except this time I used an online machine translator.

This one actually:
    http://translate.reference.com/trans...n&dst=fr&v=1.0

I've found it works a treat if you need to get their attention.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information