'Security' 206 Wheel Bolts
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 'Security' 206 Wheel Bolts

Last night I attempted a post - timed out and an hour wasted. I set about having a whinge about 'security' wheel bolts on French cars of the past 10 years or so. I recently took charge of a damaged 206 Gti 180 purchased as a "repairable writeoff" on EBay. Small passenger rear n/s quarter panel damage and air bags all deployed, destroying much of the value. Instead of attempting to recover it by my own hand, this time I farmed it out, and for not much money, had it back inside three weeks, fully reinstated. Only by luck I had avoided rejection of first Blue Slip inspection involving the passenger side front tyre, which was spent. Returning home I couldn't get the wheel off : unthinking rattle-gun morons had destroyed the special adapter, together with the security bolt. I blame the inventor of these abominable things for not anticipating this likelihood at the outset (Citroen use them also) and not too far fetched, I believe, to justify a world-wide recall. Imagine staking the sidewall of a tyre out 'back of beyond'. Even if you were smart enough to carry a spare out of disrespect for the pathetic aerosol 'spare tyre', you couldn't remove the wheel. Your family might perish, but who cares. I picked on the remaining main dealer for suggestions; the service manager was a stoic as ever, but unfortunately mentioned 'judicious' use of a cold chisel, which cost me at least a day and much of my sanity. Fallback thought from the Peugeot dealer - "then we drill out the bolt'. My rhetorical question would be - "at $100 an hour, who pays for totally avoidable waste ?". Next I burn up four new high speed steel Sutton drill bits for no result (steel that must be hard to much more then 50 Rockwell). Discouraged for a while, until my SnapOn friends came up with some tiny carbide burs, and a couple of cobalt drills. I used a die grinder with one of the burs to make a 5mm X 5mm pocket in the centre, until the collet of the grinder refused to grip any longer. With a 2-speed drill providing 600rpm (the bits only work at lower speed) and lots of oil from a garden spray bottle, I managed to get down to the very start of the countersink of the bolt, at which point after spinning the wheel off the ground in second gear for a spell, I could use the wheel to break the shell of the bolt, which I had succeeded in hollowing out 'dead centre' (you can eventually get lucky.) In the end, I couldn't face the fear of the two drivers side being the same (passenger side rear had already been confronted by the previous owner) so went to P504 at Hornsby, who would not sell me or allow me to use a good adapter, but removed in 10 minutes by normal means the trick treacherous ones for $50. Now I have a car with 16 'regular wheel bolts, I am less afraid of my 17" alloys being stolen than I would be of risking those lousy factory-supplied booby-traps. Humph

Advertisement

A couple of carriage returns wouldn't go astray in that post. Makes things a little easier on the eyes to read.
    Having said that, I had a conversation with the mechanic today about the exact same thing. We still have them on our 307, but the mechanic reckons they're in good shape at the moment so won't need replacing just yet. Maybe at the next service...

Fellow Frogger!

Default carked anti-theft bolts

Gerday Sarge - I was struggling against the 'timeout' - its Gonzo Journalism, compliments of Hunter S Thompson. Re the booby-bolts : is there any warning out on these things ? What is the conventional wisdom, or do we have to accept they are 'time bombs' ?http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/graemlins/cry.gif

Thread Information