206 GTi Steering Judder
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon5 206 GTi Steering Judder

Hi all,
    First time threader- long time reader (not as a member though)!
    My wife recently mentioned our '02 206 GTi had heavier steering than normal. I checked the power steering fluid and saw it was almost dry- having refilled the fluid the difference was instantly felt.
    The fluid has since stayed full. It has approx. 120k on the clock- I can admit I had never checked but no one ever had ever mentioned you should!
    This got me thinking about the way the car goes over a gutter (think of around a sharp bump about an inch high). I replaced a severely broken drivers side engine mount a few years ago, and the feeling is similar to this but not as abrupt- the steering seems to shake through to the wheel as though the rack is slightly loose.
    Now- I read on another thread that the 206 does not have a rack mount, or bushing. Could the feeling like this be a inner tie rod I have also heard about?
    Also, when the car takes off, the car shudders with the clutch, so am possibly thinking this could be a gearbox mount. Could the problems be down to simply mounts or somethng much worse- posibly a safety issue being it's the steering?

Could anyone share any ideas of what I could get the mechanic to check out?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

bigwal

Advertisement

Tadpole

Also interested in the suddering at takeoff, my gti does the same thing.
    '01 206 GTi

When was the clutch last replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by gezza View Post
    When was the clutch last replaced?
    Hi bigwal,

Welcome to

Yes, a shuddering clutch is usually a worn one or one that's been contaminated with oil from a leaking seal on the end of the block.

The front lower control arms are notoriously short lived on 206s and rattle quite prominently.

Refer to this link for more info.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

I had the clutch on mine replaced not long ago. Apparently the throwout bearing is a common item that wears out in these. That will pretty much mean replace the clutch at the same time.

Tadpole

Thanks all for the responses.

The clutch is the original- I had read that oil deposits on the clutch plate can affect the take-off of the vehicle. There seems to be no other symptoms surrounding a worn clutch though, so hopefully it's simply a leaking seal and not a new clutch kit.

A new clutch kit will need to come from Santa

With regards to the Control Arm- could be onto something Simon. Whilst I have read in forums over the years that the "drop links", or sway bars, often fail, there is no type of movement when the wheel is off the ground and I push & pull it.

Funnily enough, I started the car tonight when it was cold, especially in this gorgeous Sydney weather, and felt a definite movement in the engine block, which would also suggest another engine mount needs to be done.

With all the front end movement, I'm starting to think each problem perpetuates itself, if you know what I mean.

The car is in at the mechanics hopefully next month and I'll have a delightful list of issues for him to check out. *Still love the car though!!*

I won't be rude- I'll keep the thread updated to potentially help any others with the same symptoms in the future.

Cheers,

bigwal

Tadpole

Hi again,

Had the mechanic look at the lower engine mount, and the diagnosis was that the engine mount bushing had almost comlpetely sheered in half.

The rest of the mount was OK luckily, as that if they needed to replace the bushing AND mount the driveshaft would have needed to come out and be a real pr1ck to do.

When taking a closer look at the engine of the last few weeks, the engine would move considerablly when being started, and the back to front movement was significant when under pressure.

The shuddering was essentially the block being able to move to much, and especially when dropping the gear down it would shudder as well.

Still to fix the steering shudder- but will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Bigwal

Thread Information