504 Twin carbs
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 504 Twin carbs

Tadpole

504 Twin carbs

Just bought a new 504 78 model 100% original, still has all the pollution gear and everything intact .Pop had to go into the nursing home and was parting with the car after 25 years of carefull ownership, time warp sort of thing It drives absolutley beautifully although at times it seems to flood a bit, been told that the twin carbs weren't a great success and were replaced with a dual throat on later models? Can't complain about the performance or economy though it gets better MPG than the 404's we have had suprising how far it goes on $20 worth The car had had very little use over the last five years maybe a carbi clean,gaskets & bits available? Any one have any clues or ideas on this subject

Advertisement

Yeah, stick with them...

For all that I've heard complaints about this carby setup, I've had more success with it than either the earlier single carby or the later single carby.

The later one, by the way, came with a completely different head, so it doesn't just bolt on, though that late carby does (I think) bolt onto the early manifold which does go on your head.

But, again, I think you should either persist with the original (flooding? Needle & seat, probably, I had that once) or adapt a single SU off a Rover 2000 or (maybe) Austin 1800.

There are a couple of threads here about this latter subject...

Oh, and welcome to the forum, welcome to ownership of nice 504s (I have one or two of them) and keep on posting.

If you want to show off your car, I'll be in Wollongong on Saturday or Sunday week. Send me a private message if you want to compare notes in person.

Tadpole
    Ray I think you should have the name lightning never seen such a quick reply and nicely written to I might add. I like to keep things as original as possible it saves complications. With the quality of the Peugeots I am sure everything would have been well sorted before going into production and like I said apart from that very minor problem it runs beautifully on the smell of the proverbial regards laurie oliver

Tadpole
    Ray I think you should have the name lightning never seen such a quick reply and nicely written to I might add. I like to keep things as original as possible it saves complications. With the quality of the Peugeots I am sure everything would have been well sorted before going into production, and like I said apart from that very minor problem it runs beautifully on the smell of the proverbial regards laurie oliver P.S. How can I contact you in privado ?

nJm
    To send a private message you click on the envelope with two yellow people shaking hands in any message Ray has posted.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Tadpole
    Ah there shaking hands are they. I saw them two little fellas up there but didn't know what they were up to.I felt a bit to embarrased to ask

Now all you have to do is click on 'My Profile' at the top of the page and see that I've answered your message...

Thread Information