405 Mi16 Oil Gauge
  • Register
  • Help

Default 405 Mi16 Oil Gauge

My series 1 Mi16 is totally standard, and generally well looked after for a 21 year old car. However I don't think the Oil gauge is working correctly.

It shows the oil level correctly when you put the ignition on prior to starting. However once the engine is going is goes off and nothing else happens.

Isn't it supposed to read the oil temperature as you go?

Advertisement

I replaced the oil pressure sensor late last year, as it leaked (a lot). This was the one with green plastic around the connection. There is another sender on the block, as about the same height. This one is twice the diameter and located approximately mid way forward. On my beasty, nothing is connected to this.

Is this the one for the oil temperature? If so, I can find the connection from the wiring loom.

If not, can anyone assist in locating the sender so I can get it all happening. It have thought oil temperature would come off the sump, but then again tapping the block mid-way through an oil gallery would work just as well.... who am I to argue with the makers of the 405 Mi16 and 205 Gti.......

Alternatively what the feck is the big-arsed sender on the block for?
    Last edited by paulrb; 16th June 2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: so you all think I can spell......
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

Your engine actually has 4 oil related senders.

On the back of the block there is the vertical oil level indicator.

On the back of the sump there is a single wire device which is the oil temperature sender.

On the front of the block is an oil pressure sender and oil pressure switch. From memory the big one is the oil pressure sender, the smaller one is the oil pressure switch (but may be other way round, cant remember. Measure the resistance between the threaded section and the wire tab on each. The one that measures a fairly high resistance will be the oil pressure sender.

Hope this helps.
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

1000+ Posts

Default senders

the wires to the level and temp senders on the back of the block often end up ,fried by the exhaust they come round the end of the block by the power steer pump ,youv done well having the level sender working, on all the MIs iv had the oil level and temp has never worked

The big sender is the pressure sensor. I would change that one

Moo
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Default Cheers

Thanks for the info....

I have never let the oil get low so haven't ever had the oil pressure light come on, so wouldn't know if it doesn't work.

If the large one is a pressure sender, I might get a high quality (like one of the smith's) oil pressure gauge and sender an set up a needle gauge rather than relying on a light to come on.

Mine is just a street car, that I am planning to retire soon as a club car. So I want it very close to standard. Still one extra gauge won't ruin it.

Still I'll try and get the oil temp gauge working......

Is it easy to get at (probably not I'd say)

I'll try and hunt around the back...... I might need to just put up with it until say the clutch goes and then with a few bits out of the way change it over.
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

Your oil level gauge is working correctly. It only shows the oil level before you start. Once started, the gauge displays oil temperature. As someone said, the wires often loose their insulation and/or break. There is only one wire going to the oil temp sender. Whilst the Mi16 has two oil pressure senders fitted in the block, only one, the oil pressure switch is used. The larger oil pressure sender, used to indicate variable pressure in a 205, is not used in a 405 and has no connections.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Default Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    The larger oil pressure sender, used to indicate variable pressure in a 205, is not used in a 405 and has no connections.
    So if I wanted to add a gauge foe oil pressure, I could swap out the big one on the front....

I'll give it some thought... Now I just have to find the temperature one around the back... and the part on the loom where it might be connected. Mine might still have the wiring just be fried, or the wire could have hardened with the exhaust heat and broken off.... So I need to look for a loose wire thereabouts....
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

Thread Information