Random ear piecing beep of death - 505
  • Help

Default Random ear piecing beep of death - 505

Mums '81 505 SRDT has a quite loud, high pitched beep on 9 times out of 10 on start up (a constant beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep) that doesn't go away until you drive a few hundred metres, it some times does it randomly when you are driving, usually does it when you are cornering hard. Any ideas?

Also, when cold (you can let it warm up for ages and it still does it though, so when the gearbox is cold) the mighty(shit heap) 3 speed auto has a hard time getting out of first gear, when it does get out of first it kicks back down at the first sign of more load (slight hills or more throttle). You can't really go much faster than 40 which is pretty annoying. Any ideas what would cause that?

Thanks

Advertisement

Hayden
    1985 S2 505 GTi. Someone please sell me an S2 drivers side front 1/4 panel so I can get this on the road again.
    1985 S1 505 SRi. Parts car.
    1957 403 sedan. Aka Ruby.
    1979&81 Suzuki LJ81s.
    1980 Suzuki LJ80V.
    1981 Suzuki SJ40 Sierra.
    2000 Suzuki Jimny.

There's no 'beeper' as such fitted standard to the SRDT. It sounds like someone else has fitted a warning beeper for some reason, perhaps to warn of low oil pressure or failed alternator. Are there any other lights on the dashboard, or sensors in the engine bay that don't look standard?

Also, check that the alternator (battery) and oil pressure lights DO come on when the ignition is switched to on but before you start the engine. Blown globes or globes that have been 'disabled' by a previous salesman can make diagnosis of some problems a bit of a nightmare....

As for your gearbox, this is a common symptom of a transmission with a blocked filter. When it is cold, the oil is thicker and cannot pass enough oil through the filter to maintain enough pressure on the other side of it to operate the valves to shift gears.

Changing the fluid and filter usually rectifies this problem, and it's not really a hard task for someone like yourself. However, it can mask other problems that may rear their heads after the fluid change. A worn out gearbox will shift smoothly with a blocked filter, but not so after the change.

Hopefully after the filter change you'll be on a winner though!
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Quote Originally Posted by sideways_505 View Post
    (a constant beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep)
    Thanks

Hayden
    Assuming the English translation of that is a squeal* I'd be checking your belts.

Mike.

* I've met a few pigs in my time, sounds like you've dealt more with sheep. Each to his own etc., etc..
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Fellow Frogger!

I will take bets it is the heater fan.
    try pulling the fuse or plug to it under the bonnet

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

someone may have fitted a water sensor to the fuel filter

check the filter

i know jap utes have a beeeeeeeeeep
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Default "Random ear piercing beep of death"

I don't know what the problem is but I vote this the best aussiefrogs thread title ever!

Thanks guys, look like I'm off for a search for random senors and to give the trans a service.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarosa View Post
    I don't know what the problem is but I vote this the best aussiefrogs thread title ever!
    I aim to please!
    1985 S2 505 GTi. Someone please sell me an S2 drivers side front 1/4 panel so I can get this on the road again.
    1985 S1 505 SRi. Parts car.
    1957 403 sedan. Aka Ruby.
    1979&81 Suzuki LJ81s.
    1980 Suzuki LJ80V.
    1981 Suzuki SJ40 Sierra.
    2000 Suzuki Jimny.

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    I will take bets it is the heater fan.
    try pulling the fuse or plug to it under the bonnet
    I second this. My 505 occasionally has a beep-like squeal, which comes from the glovebox area. That is because the fan never COMPLETELY goes off....it is always ever so slightly on. As the fan itself is mounted on the firewall, the noise travels through the intake to the interior of the car. The bushing in the fan has run out of lubrication. My previous 505 had this too.
    Where is your noise coming from ? And is it a definite electronic beep, or could it be described as a squeal ? At first, I was SURE mine was a beep, until I realised it was coming from the glovebox area.....

I had the same gearbox problem. It lasted for about 20,000 Ks after that. It first used to stick in first gear during Winter, but eventually on startup in Summer.....and then eventually on warm startups.
    When I first got the problem, I changed my oil a few times in a few months ( as you can never get a perfect, complete change ), and did the filter. Let's hope yours is just a blocked filter, as after 20,000 Ks mine lost 1st gear and started to give up the ghost not too long later. I replaced the gearbox just in time.....I hate breakdowns !
    Actually the 3 speed is a very strong gearbox. And as they hardly ever stuff up, there are plenty of secondhand ones around.
    Last edited by Beano; 13th June 2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Changed 30,000 to 20,000

Quote Originally Posted by Sarosa View Post
    Piercing and maybe I'd agree

Thread Information