New peugeot 205 windscreen
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default New peugeot 205 windscreen

G'day,
    I've got a moderately sized chip in my windshield and im worried that it's going to soon spread.
    Does anyone know of a place (near Sydney) that sells/fits them cheaply?
    OR is it actually possible to take one out of a wreck and put it in yourself?

Thanks, Lewis

Advertisement

Have you though about a Windscreens O'Brien repar thingy...?? When you say moderate, how big (compared to a coin say)?

Chris

If it's laminated, it could stay for years without spreading.
    Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (266 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (52000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (236 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DjB8V View Post
    Have you though about a Windscreens O'Brien repar thingy...?? When you say moderate, how big (compared to a coin say)?

Chris
    Maybe between the size of a 10c and 20c coin?

I think the greatest danger with these cracks is that an impact which otherwise might not affect the windshield (say a little piece of debris thrown by a passing car), might cause the crack to expand instantly and finish the glass off.

Can't offer a solution though, sorry.

It might be reason for a a police defect notice though.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Try the Windscreens O"Brien deal. They might be able to help.

Chris

Fellow Frogger!

I have a wreck in my backyard with a good windshield, is it possible to take that out and install that safely? Im only 18....cheapest way would be the best!

Lewis

The way mine was taken out was by sitting in the car and pushing on it with feet. ( phill )Just took his time and pushed as evenly as he thought would work and it did. No idea about putting it in tho. I would say bottom first as its wider and then follow it around to the top.

Cam

( doff had a new one installed in my car. he may know how it was done)
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Quote Originally Posted by DjB8V View Post
    Try the Windscreens O"Brien deal. They might be able to help.

Chris
    I don't think they are the cheapest mob around - priced $600ish for a new screen for the 406 (no sensors etc)...
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Default windscreens

i've done it on other jalopies many many moons ago. Remove any chrome trims then get inside and push with your legs, bracing against the seat. I recall taking off the thongs and putting on some sandshoes.Have something soft on the bonnet to cushion it. It helps ifyou have 2, one in driver's seat & one in passenger's, pushing in harmony.
    When you fit the screen, first place a line of thin nylon string all the way around at the top of the rubber so it can be pulled from the outside. When the screen and the rubber are seated, slowly pull the string out all the way around so that the external sealing part of the rubber comes fully out to form the external sealing flange. You may need to replace the rubber before doing this as if it is at all weak or perished it doesn't like being reused and you should rub it well with soapy water to lubricate it. Finally, reinstall chrome trim but this is not essential.That's as i recall it after several decades - you can probably confirm by google

Tadpole

Default 205 Windscreen

I just bought a new front screen from O'Briens for $195.00
    Should be cheaper than a fine/defect if your screen splits!

Regards

Fellow Frogger!

How much is a new OEM one from Peugeot?
    1992 205 Si
    Current: shortened diff (4.4), short shifter, group N top mounts, rebuilt engine and box, solid engine mounts, 1.75" exhaust, strut brace, OMP wheel, GTI suspension & subframe front and rear, lowered 30mm front and rear, solid rear bush, Koni yellows, 306 XT front discs and calipers, ADR compliant braided brake lines, 14" rallye wheels, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tyres, immobiliser

Default easy removal...

Well considering the old windscreen is already damaged, there is little point in trying to retain it...... so with the help of a few flat blade screwdrivers, working from the inside, ease the rubber away from the top edge and corners inserting several flats at about 4" intervals across the top edge and while sitting on the handbrake or a pillow over it, gently push evenly with the feet positioned at about 1/3 & 2/3 across the screen.
    An assistant also wearing safety glasses can pry the flats away from the trimed edge rolling the rubber down.

Ive just removed a good screen as a spare ready for replacement.

To replace the screen, liberally coat the rubber with soft soap/rubber grease ,insert thick twine/string in the inner groove with the rubbered screen on the lower edge with the twine ends on the cabin (inner).
    Have the assistant hold one end of the twine then gently work the twine along the rubber, pulling it out over the body lip.
    Ensure the hood lining is securely fixed as the rubber goes over it.
    Gentle pressure from the outside to push the screen into place will aid in the repair..

Hope this helps....

Thread Information