Tyres for a 306
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Tyres for a 306

Default Tyres for a 306

A mate of mine has a 306 diesel which needs new tyres. His mechanic doesn't like Michelins anymore....says they're too noisy. I reckon they don't last long enough either, though as a soft tyre they have good stopping power.

Advertisement

He says his choice now is between Yokohama and Pirelli. Can I have a few opinions, please ?
    He doesn't really hoot around in the thing but I guess he wants safety in wet conditions and longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    .....but I guess he wants safety in wet conditions and longevity.
    Then he wants it all.

Wet weather safety and longevity are opposing principals.
    Soft tyres grip well in the wet, and hard tyres last a long time but dont grip in the wet so well.

I'd choose the yokohama, as long as they were Cdrives.

Jo

I have a set of Bridgestone Turanza ER300's on my 207 SW HDi and they are great and almost do everything. I just put them on around 1000kms ago.

Quiet, excellent wet weather grip, impressive dry grip, I am getting good economy form them too. They are bettering the OEM Conti Premium Contact 2's by 0.2L/100km over a tank full.

In Europe they are rated as one of the best touring tyres and good reviews on life.

Have a look at:

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...110&sowigan=So

The reviews are all 4~5 star on the right side of the above linked page.....

I got mine at the Bridgestone Tyre Centre on Logan Road in Mount Gravatt. Great price and they have an offer if you buy 4. You get to choose from a bluetooth handsfree kit or a dustbuster. Excellent service too.

I rate the Bridgestone ER300's - I had a set on the 406 and they are nice and grippy, decent performance in the wet and lasted around 30k. Well priced too - around the $110 mark from memory!

C- Drives are good, but are a softer compound and therefore will not wear as well. But they are brilliant in the wet!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Seek out GT radials. He'll save hundreds over those premium brands and not want for grip ride or longevity is he is no hoon

Michelins are excellent.
    We have the "Energy" (French made) on the 406, they have done 57K so far and still looking & performing (up to 210 Kph no vibrations or what so ever) as good as new & still plenty of tread left. We'll change them in August & planning to fit "Energy Saver" this time (problem is they are a bit expensive).
    A mate of mine has the Michelins Primacy HP (German made) on his 09 Corolla, has done over 80K so far, they currently need to be changed, but still 80K is very respectable.

Between Pirelli & Yokohama, I would go for the Yoko but my absolute choice would be the Michelins whether Primacy HP or Energy Saver.
    Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

The latest Michelins are really quite good. I'm running the Goodyear assurance and they're nice and quiet and quite grippy too. Surprised me after having ultra high performance tyres for so long.

I found the Yokohama c drives to be harsh and noisy, so wouldn't recommend Yokohama at the moment. Not sure in the pirelli range
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

If you aren't looking to "race"on the tyres, stick with the original fitment Michelins. I have Michelin Energy tyres on my 306. First set of 5 (original from factory) did almost 100,000kms and were replaced before they wore to the wear marker. The 306 is a relatively noisy car, so I can't really state that the tyres are quiet, but you don't notice the road noise as much as exhaust and wind.

Current set of tyres are around 50,000kms and I have never faulted them in wet or dry conditions. The European manufactured Michelins cost about $14 more than the Malaysian units, so I have never used anything but the European tyres.

If racing, pick one of the tyres that is already in the CAMS manual for log book approval. Yokohama A048s go pretty well, but so do the Dunlop R spec tyres listed. Don't expect either to do more than about 15,000km (absolute max) on the road.

Cheers.
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

Quote Originally Posted by racing405 View Post
    If you aren't looking to "race"on the tyres, stick with the original fitment Michelins. I have Michelin Energy tyres on my 306. First set of 5 (original from factory) did almost 100,000kms and were replaced before they wore to the wear marker. The 306 is a relatively noisy car, so I can't really state that the tyres are quiet, but you don't notice the road noise as much as exhaust and wind.

Current set of tyres are around 50,000kms and I have never faulted them in wet or dry conditions. The European manufactured Michelins cost about $14 more than the Malaysian units, so I have never used anything but the European tyres.

If racing, pick one of the tyres that is already in the CAMS manual for log book approval. Yokohama A048s go pretty well, but so do the Dunlop R spec tyres listed. Don't expect either to do more than about 15,000km (absolute max) on the road.

Cheers.
    I have to comment at the range in tread wear between drivers.
    I'm not having a go or anything, more illustrating why talking about tyres is a bit like dancing about architecture or debating online how much something will weigh in the future.

You get 50k km from a set of tyres that I get 15-20k km from.

If I had semi slicks, I'd probably never stop doing the Akuna bay loop until they were down to the carcass so they'd only be good for about 1000km max.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

His mechanic doesn't like Michelins anymore....says they're too noisy. I reckon they don't last long enough either, though as a soft tyre they have good stopping power.

He says his choice now is between Yokohama and Pirelli. Can I have a few opinions, please?
    Generally speaking, Michelin tyres tend to wear at a slower rate than most. Yokohama and Pirelli tyres tend to be grippy, but at the expense of wear and noise respectively, though it really depends on what vehicle they're fitted on and (as always when it comes to tyres) YMMV.

I guess he wants safety in wet conditions and longevity.
    Not easy. That said, I reckon he should give the brand new Michelin Energy XM2 a go - said to be improved in the wet and also more durable. Otherwise, the Pirelli P6 is a good alternative, but also consider the Toyo Teo Plus, which is probably the quietest of the three.

That is if your mate still hasn't decided on anything, as it has been a month now...

My folks have switched to the XM2s after a run of c.drives and they are significantly quieter, more comfortable and much more pleasant to drive on.

I have noticed a difference between UHP tyres and these Goodyear Assurance on the 306. As has been said, it's not the quietest of cars, but have made for a more comfortable ride.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Thread Information