Going to the UK - which Pug? 405, 406...?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Going to the UK - which Pug? 405, 406...?

Hi all,

Taking the family to England for the summer and laying up the 505s here in the meantime.

The folk's are donating 500 quid towards a family runaround while we are there. Car will need to be up to a run to the Dordogne.

Cars are so much cheaper over there! Been checking online and a 405 SRDT wagon can be had for around that - and I'd like to try one out as a possibility for later on back in Oz. 406 turbo diesels are also to be had for less than a grand though....

Any comments or other suggestions from fellow pommies or anyone who has been over there recently?

Advertisement

It's been a few years...Mullumbimby to London will be a bit of a culture shock....

Cheers,
    Goonengerry 505

A 405 will be rusty, no doubt. Even though they simply don't rust here, they will be rotten over there.

My suggestion would be to not touch at all anything without enough MOT to last your time there.... it can very quickly become an expensive process to get it to pass the test again.

The first car I bought in the UK was a 306 turbo diesel, cost 380 quid, drove it for 3 months and spent nothing on it, sold it when the MOT ran out (for more than i paid for it!!!) and then bought another 306, an HDi Estate, for 700 quid. Brilliant car, absolutely loved it and was ready to bring it back to australia but didn't get the import approval in time (it arrived in the mail the day after I sold the car).

I can strongly recommend the 306 HDi. The estate has plenty of room (we toured England, Scotland and Wales with 4 adults and all our luggage in comfort) and even fully loaded will still get 50+ mpg. Ours was an X-reg (2000 model), and we sold it for the same as we bought it for (after doing 25,000 miles, having the timing belt changed and a service), and to this day I wish I could buy one over here. An X-reg or Y-reg with a few months MOT should be available for around your budget.

Just be aware that insurance in the UK is an absolute money pit. If you can organise it, have someone in the UK buy the car in their name, insure it, and list you as a driver. A 2 litre engine with an overseas licence and no no-claim-bonus (and they DO NOT recognise australian no-claims), expect to pay between 4000 and 6000 pound per year, or between 1000 and 1500 pound for your three month period, and if you need to make a claim of any sort, even a not-at-fault claim, you will be required to pay out the entire year in full before they even talk to you.

If you can get a UK driver with good no-claim-bonus to put it all in their name, your three month period shouldn't cost more than about 60 quid.

If not, it's MUCH cheaper to hire a car for 3 months.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupť - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

UFO

Or lease a new car from our good aussiefrogs friends at Rod Slater's Euro Cars

Whose website seems to be down at present...

http://www.eurocars.com.au/

(hello Rod or Michelle....)
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu View Post
    A 405 will be rusty, no doubt. Even though they simply don't rust here, they will be rotten over there.

My suggestion would be to not touch at all anything without enough MOT to last your time there.... it can very quickly become an expensive process to get it to pass the test again.

The first car I bought in the UK was a 306 turbo diesel, cost 380 quid, drove it for 3 months and spent nothing on it, sold it when the MOT ran out (for more than i paid for it!!!) and then bought another 306, an HDi Estate, for 700 quid. Brilliant car, absolutely loved it and was ready to bring it back to australia but didn't get the import approval in time (it arrived in the mail the day after I sold the car).

I can strongly recommend the 306 HDi. The estate has plenty of room (we toured England, Scotland and Wales with 4 adults and all our luggage in comfort) and even fully loaded will still get 50+ mpg. Ours was an X-reg (2000 model), and we sold it for the same as we bought it for (after doing 25,000 miles, having the timing belt changed and a service), and to this day I wish I could buy one over here. An X-reg or Y-reg with a few months MOT should be available for around your budget.

Just be aware that insurance in the UK is an absolute money pit. If you can organise it, have someone in the UK buy the car in their name, insure it, and list you as a driver. A 2 litre engine with an overseas licence and no no-claim-bonus (and they DO NOT recognise australian no-claims), expect to pay between 4000 and 6000 pound per year, or between 1000 and 1500 pound for your three month period, and if you need to make a claim of any sort, even a not-at-fault claim, you will be required to pay out the entire year in full before they even talk to you.

If you can get a UK driver with good no-claim-bonus to put it all in their name, your three month period shouldn't cost more than about 60 quid.

Scotty, as usual many thanks for all the advice! Particularly re the 306HDI Estate - I had no idea they existed and will check them out. Also the reminders re rust and MOTs.

I was planning to get the old man to register and insure it - and I still have my old UK licence (valid till my 70th birthday). I would rather play the local if at all possible in any run ins with the boys in blue, but will keep the perfectly valid NSW card in my wallet just in case.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Or lease a new car from our good aussiefrogs friends at Rod Slater's Euro Cars

Whose website seems to be down at present...

http://www.eurocars.com.au/

(hello Rod or Michelle....)

Haha, if my budget stretched to it I would love to. The plan must be for dad to sell the car after we leave to, we hope, recoup some of the costs. The only snag with this plan is that i will undoubtedly fall in love with my latest Pug and want, like Scotty, to bring her home

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu View Post

Insurance doesn't work like that over here...each extra car you buy, you start off having no no-claims bonus for that car.
    Example.... I have a 406 and have the full no-claims bonus on that car. I bought a Golf 1.4 for my daughter, registered it in my name, insured it in my name with her as the named driver. I have no no-claims bonus on that car, that car needs to earn the no-claims bonus. Odd, I know, but that's how it works.

Anyway, car choices....I'd stay away from 405s, they're getting too long in the tooth and as Scotty says you'll be lucky to find a good one that isn't too rusty. I'd opt for a 406 either petrol or diesel with a long MOT, so that there's plenty of MOT left come selling time, but ignore the petrol 1.8 - what a gutless damn thing they are! I know, I used to have one, and they are absolutely dire.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by catshamlet View Post
    Insurance doesn't work like that over here...each extra car you buy, you start off having no no-claims bonus for that car.
    Example.... I have a 406 and have the full no-claims bonus on that car. I bought a Golf 1.4 for my daughter, registered it in my name, insured it in my name with her as the named driver. I have no no-claims bonus on that car, that car needs to earn the no-claims bonus. Odd, I know, but that's how it works.

Anyway, car choices....I'd stay away from 405s, they're getting too long in the tooth and as Scotty says you'll be lucky to find a good one that isn't too rusty. I'd opt for a 406 either petrol or diesel with a long MOT, so that there's plenty of MOT left come selling time, but ignore the petrol 1.8 - what a gutless damn thing they are! I know, I used to have one, and they are absolutely dire.

Mike.
    Cheers for the advice, Mike!
    Whatever it is, it'll be a turbodiesel.....

Fellow Frogger!

that isn't quite true
    I have an every day car (my 607) that I pay full price for and carries my no claims.
    The 604 is run on a classic car policy which is only valid as a second car. This is only £100 per year and doesn't require any no claims history

Probably doesn't help Thom though.

The police are very strict (rightly so) about insurance here. If you buy a car you must arrange insurance before you drive it away which can be a problem if you buy it evening or weekend.

I would say a 406 is the best reliability / size / comfort for the money. They don't seem to rust either.

I usually get insurance quotes from www.confused.com and www.moneysupermarket.com

A UK license will help but you probably need a UK address to register and insure the car.

Quote Originally Posted by dieselnutjob View Post
    that isn't quite true
    I have an every day car (my 607) that I pay full price for and carries my no claims.
    The 604 is run on a classic car policy which is only valid as a second car. This is only £100 per year and doesn't require any no claims history

Probably doesn't help Thom though.
    I was talking everyday, run-of-the-mill cars, obviously classics are different. My, ahem, cough, 203 only costs about £90-odd to insure, but I don't think he'll be choosing anything like that to go touring Europe.

I would, mind you, but I'm beginning to think I'm a trifle odd.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

What Demanu said - I've looked into it and the insurance is a mega rip off over there. Don't be shocked, if you get massive quotes for a car with a 1k agreed value - usually 4 or 5 times the value of the car!

If you want to go down the route of buying over there - make sure it has plenty of Tax and MOT left. Usually 500 quid buys a rusty POS like a clapped out MK1 Mondeo, rough 406 etc - but there can be some gems out there for the money. Even 55 reg cars, I've seen in the UK with rusted out sills and the like - buyer beware!

For piece of mind - I'd spend the coin and rent/lease a car for the 3 month period. It will cost less than insurance and the potential for breakdown when you are over there + it's nice, new and shiny!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Do your homework and talk to a few insurance companies before taking the plunge.

Otherwise I would say a 306 estate [ wagon ]. I don't think you'll find a trouble free Pug for £500.

I go back to Europe and the UK 2-3 times a year on business and to catch up with friends and family. I still get to use my fathers old 504 Ti which is a real treat. But for distance driving I always rent a car.

Get a 306 d turbo should pick a decent one up for 700 ish get the right colour (blaze yellow blue or green). Make sure it has at least 6 months mot and a few months tax, they are (off the top of my head) group 4 insurance so pretty cheap, liverpool victoria are good..

I too am going back next year although i will be buying a 205 gti to drive around in loo

Tadpole

My bro has a 306hdi and it goes killer. An estate would be a great little car.

W

Re the insurance, I don't know if they are still around (2006 was when we left) but I insured both my 504 ute and 504 coupe through Downunder insurance. They only insured people with Australian driver's licences and both were around 400 squids per year.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Quote Originally Posted by thomevans View Post
    Taking the family to England for the summer...
    Sick of the warm weather here?
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Uffee View Post
    Sick of the warm weather here?
    Compared to staying here for winter the daytime temperature will be similar, the nights will be much much warmer. No need for heating, whereas here in the hinterland we have been lighting fires for a while now. I do love this time of year here though - the summer can be a bit full on...

I'm mostly looking forward to a decent pint....

Quote Originally Posted by gezza View Post
    Get a 306 d turbo should pick a decent one up for 700 ish get the right colour (blaze yellow blue or green). Make sure it has at least 6 months mot and a few months tax, they are (off the top of my head) group 4 insurance so pretty cheap, liverpool victoria are good..
    More smoke, more poke! Screw it out

I wish Australia got the DTurbos - as they look like wicked little cars!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

I'm mostly looking forward to a decent pint....
    Warm beers and cold weather...

I remember the first time I ordered a beer after 4 years in the UK and got a schooner (285ml in SA) It looked rather titchy.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Uffee View Post
    Warm beers and cold weather...

I remember the first time I ordered a beer after 4 years in the UK and got a schooner (285ml in SA) It looked rather titchy.
    Haha yes, a pint is respectably man-sized.

And "warm" beer is a myth of course: "Real ale is served at cellar temperature 12-14 C (54-57 F), which is somewhat cooler than room temperature."(CAMRA) Not suited to a hot Australian summers day but pretty perfectly suited to the English climate, which is temperate (i.e mostly cool!). The benefit is that you can taste the beer. Aussie beer is so cold you can't taste it.....thankfully !

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    More smoke, more poke! Screw it out

I wish Australia got the DTurbos - as they look like wicked little cars!
    yeah they are really easy to get more power out of!!

Haha yes, a pint is respectably man-sized.

And "warm" beer is a myth of course: "Real ale is served at cellar temperature 12-14 C (54-57 F), which is somewhat cooler than room temperature."(CAMRA) Not suited to a hot Australian summers day but pretty perfectly suited to the English climate, which is temperate (i.e mostly cool!). The benefit is that you can taste the beer. Aussie beer is so cold you can't taste it.....thankfully !
    I'm a big fan of warm beer, nothing better than sitting in a cosy 300+ year old oak beamed pub drinking a few real ales in the depths of winter.

The flagship Cambridge CAMRA real ale festival fell on my birthday in 2005. Or at least I think it did, for some reason I can't remember much about it.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Tadpole

With regard to insurance, registration and MOT. their system is linked by computer so all three must be in place as they have vans that photograph registration plates check against the computer and passed to a waiting police car in seconds. As well as getting fined they can stop you driving that car there and then.
    Having been there within the last few weeks go for any thing diesel, 406 's are large cars by their standards, 306's are a good size, even if it's just for parking.

Thread Information