Resurrecting a 205 GTi
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Default Resurrecting a 205 GTi

Hi all, am new to the forum. Have just purchased a 1990 205 GTi (series 2 with xu9j1) and am wishing to draw on the experience of the many aussiefrogs members that have had experience with these cars.

Basically the plan is to get the car up and running and make a half decent motorkhana car out of it. Whether I'm doing the right thing by attempting to fix this one is yet to be seen. Immediate concerns include;

- Gearbox has been partially dismantled by previous owner (whilst still in the car) and consequently has incurred quantities of corrosion and all that other good stuff. Second hand gearbox could be the go. I know that it is a BE3/5 speed. Are these gearboxes hard to find and what are my options?

- Engine is not running at this stage, though a compression test shows 160psi on cylinders 1, 3, 4 and 145psi on cylinder 2. Compression builds up quickly on all cylinders. Not sure if I should be worried about the slightly lower compression on cyl 2 at the moment. The car has possibly spent the last 5 odd years without the injectors in it so valves may not be sealing perfectly.

- Engine bay wiring is a mess. If there was once a relay box under the bonnet there isn't now. Numerous relays scattered all over the place.

- Right hand rear wheel is leaning in at the top and touching inner wheel arch. Suspect that the trailing arm bearings are shot. Will have to get around to removing the rear axle and inspecting the shafts and axle tube for wear. Hopefully only the bearings will need doing.

- Have not got power to the fuel pump at this stage. Need to locate a wiring diagram for this one. Have yet to locate the fuel pump relay. Though I do know that the fuel pump itself needs replacing.

- Distributor cap and rotor are both damaged and will need replacing...easy.

Any thoughts/suggestions on the above appreciated.

Cheers, Patrick.

Advertisement

It looks like a nice clean car, so worthy of a restoration. Where are you? Engine is stuffed. Gearbox is easily fixed/replaced. Download a Haynes manual. The wiring diagram is in the back. Rear beam is stuffed and probably needs new trailing arm shafts in addition to bearings.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I'm in western vic. The previous owner did say the engine wasn't running on song when it was put in the shed. What sort of compression should this motor have? Thanks for the tip re the haynes manual, will look into it.

185psi

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

cdt
    Fellow Frogger!

Nice car mate, that so belongs back on the road.

cheers

chris

Awesome 205 man. Just pulled a bloke up here in Bondi who has the same colour and hes resotring his too. Sort the engine with a S3 head to up the power and use a BE3 box with a lower final drive if your keen on some events in it.

The BE3 box is good but has a slightly long final drive so using a 4.4 ( i think ) from a MI16 ( easy to get ) makes it a fun think to drive.

If you can, while your rebuilding the rear beam, find some trailing arms that can take discs ( 306 etc ) so you will have a disc rear end.

Regards Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Show us more photos too!!
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Tracking down a runnig motor should be quite easy. DFZ motors (what you more than like have) are what all Aust deliv. came with and drums on the back. The disc rear conversion is quite straight forward but would put the cost of rear beam rebuild considerably. I have drums on the back of mine and they are fine (as long as they are in good nick too).

DFZ motor is a lower compression motor than the series three motor DKZ. Running a DKZ head on a DFZ bottomend pumps the compression up and the power but can bring with it some timing issues. Its also probably good to run a hotter cam. You could swap to a series 3 motor if you could find one in decent nick.

Get someone reliable to have a look at it. Once you now what the actual problem then you can sort what you need.

All the problems you mentioned have thread dedicated to them. Try searching and you'll more than likely find someone that has either had done or done themselves.

Chris

Thanks for the comments and advice so far. Sounds like I've got a few options. Here are some more photos of it after I rolled it off the trailer and gave it a wash.

Some more showing the current state of play.

Interior has been gutted for now. Quite a few chopped wires under the dash.

A/C compressor and associated components have taken a holiday. Induction system removed. Remote oil cooler removed - is it necessary to put this back on or is it better to relocate oil filter to engine block below intake manifold? Wiring everywhere.

Have retested engine compressions, this time a wet test. Got 175psi on cyls 1, 3, 4 and 165psi on cyl 2. Was hoping that engine wasn't too tired as odometer shows an allegedly original 129999kms. Have had injectors tested and they have come back all good. Am going to tidy up the engine wiring first, get the engine running, and then make a decision on the future of it.

I've never seen one in that colour - nice!
    you'll love it when you get it going. They are seriously great cars and well worthy of a bit of investment of time and funds.

keep us posted!

mlb

Besides the obvious mechanical and electrical shortcomings the car looks great. Well worth saving.

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

The best 205 colour I've seen IMHO
    Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

Welcome to the fold.

The fuel pump relay I think is in one of those boxes under the hood that you found missing. I still haven't found mine, but since it works, I gave up looking. I didn't find any of the manuals I have very helpful with electrics' locations (Haynes and Revue Technique).

Check the car for rust though. I had an unpleasant surprise.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Man, what a find!! If you hear of any more shoot me a pm...hehe. Its a really nice example you have there and it great to see you putting the time in to bring it back. There are quite a few of your engines lying around, so if it turns out to be dead you will have no trouble slotting another in.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Fellow Frogger!

loving the colour mate it'll be good to see the progress on the car.

cheers

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pwh_gtr View Post
    Hi all, am new to the forum. Have just purchased a 1990 205 GTi (series 2 with xu9j1) and am wishing to draw on the experience of the many aussiefrogs members that have had experience with these cars.

Basically the plan is to get the car up and running and make a half decent motorkhana car out of it. Whether I'm doing the right thing by attempting to fix this one is yet to be seen. Immediate concerns include;

- Gearbox has been partially dismantled by previous owner (whilst still in the car) and consequently has incurred quantities of corrosion and all that other good stuff. Second hand gearbox could be the go. I know that it is a BE3/5 speed. Are these gearboxes hard to find and what are my options?

- Engine is not running at this stage, though a compression test shows 160psi on cylinders 1, 3, 4 and 145psi on cylinder 2. Compression builds up quickly on all cylinders. Not sure if I should be worried about the slightly lower compression on cyl 2 at the moment. The car has possibly spent the last 5 odd years without the injectors in it so valves may not be sealing perfectly.

- Engine bay wiring is a mess. If there was once a relay box under the bonnet there isn't now. Numerous relays scattered all over the place.

- Right hand rear wheel is leaning in at the top and touching inner wheel arch. Suspect that the trailing arm bearings are shot. Will have to get around to removing the rear axle and inspecting the shafts and axle tube for wear. Hopefully only the bearings will need doing.

- Have not got power to the fuel pump at this stage. Need to locate a wiring diagram for this one. Have yet to locate the fuel pump relay. Though I do know that the fuel pump itself needs replacing.

- Distributor cap and rotor are both damaged and will need replacing...easy.

Any thoughts/suggestions on the above appreciated.

Cheers, Patrick.
    Fit power steering and it will be a bit better than a half decent motorkhana car.
    You can get this from an Si.
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Fit power steering and it will be a bit better than a half decent motorkhana car.
    You can get this from an Si.
    Graham
    man the non powersteering is easy enough to use , i can't even imagen power steering.

whats it like?

cheers

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 205lover<3 View Post
    man the non powersteering is easy enough to use , i can't even imagen power steering.

whats it like?

cheers
    It is essential for motorkhanas, the standard steering gets way too busy.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Doush_504 View Post
    The best 205 colour I've seen IMHO
    I think the colour is topaz blue (Peugeot gods please correct me if wrong). Have no idea what the paint code is or where to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    It is essential for motorkhanas, the standard steering gets way too busy.
    Graham
    Thanks for the tip on the power steering Graham. Will definately look into it when I get the basic fundamentals fixed. Did all SI's come will power steering and will it just bolt straight in?

Have spent a little bit of time in the shed with the 205 today - to the girlfriends dismay - and now have power to the fuel pump. After getting hold of a haynes wiring diagram, I found that the fuel pump relay (tachymetric relay) was right under my nose the whole time. Repaired a wire in the fuse box and now the relay activates when the ignition is switched on

Next job is to find a new fuel pump as the current one has seen better days. Am I best to get a OEM style one and fit it back into the fuel tank or is it possible to fit an inline pump somewhere? All depended on price and availability of course. Does anyone know who makes a suitable replacement if I can't get one from Peugeot?

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pwh_gtr View Post
    Have spent a little bit of time in the shed with the 205 today - to the girlfriends dismay - and now have power to the fuel pump. After getting hold of a haynes wiring diagram, I found that the fuel pump relay (tachymetric relay) was right under my nose the whole time. Repaired a wire in the fuse box and now the relay activates when the ignition is switched on

Next job is to find a new fuel pump as the current one has seen better days. Am I best to get a OEM style one and fit it back into the fuel tank or is it possible to fit an inline pump somewhere? All depended on price and availability of course. Does anyone know who makes a suitable replacement if I can't get one from Peugeot?

Interesting, this relay is at the front in the earlier cars.
    205 GTi pumps are seen on Ebay a fair bit, they may be bare pumps which need to be fitted to the 205, in tank device.
    Graham

This may seem like a strange comment and totally unrelated, but your photos seem ver very clear and very vibrant. Are you using a serious camera?
    Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    This may seem like a strange comment and totally unrelated, but your photos seem ver very clear and very vibrant. Are you using a serious camera?
    Cam
    Hey Cam. Thanks for the comment on the photos. All photos thus far have been taken with basic point and shoot digital cameras. The last two using a relatively new 12 meg Panasonic and the rest with a 7 year old 5 meg Canon. A serious camera would be worth far more than the 205 is

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information