Mitterand Losing Brake Fluid
  • Register
  • Help

Default Mitterand Losing Brake Fluid

Any advice? After exhaustive examinations from myself and the mechanic I have discovered that the brake fluid is coming into the drivers side footwell. I know this can't be good. But what does it mean? Where is it leaking from if it is not from the brakes or fluid bowl? All I know is that it can only be expensive because I will have to replace the carpet and clutch!

Advertisement

It may be helpful if you told us what car you have.

Why is the clutch affected?

A guess is that your master cylinder has failed and the brake fluid is escaping past the pistons and into the footwell. Check it out.

Or just give Mitterand some paracetamol.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Based on your previous posts it seems that you have a 504.

Up until about 1980 or so, all 504s with a manual gearbox shared the same fluid reservoir for the brakes and the clutch. You can see a hose coming from the left hand side of the reservoir that goes down to the clutch master cylinder underneath the brake booster.

When the clutch master cylinder gets old, fluid escapes past the seals on the pistons and leaks inside the car, making the brake fluid level go down.

The point that the fluid is 'tapped off' from the reservoir for the clutch is higher up than the refill ports of the brake master cylinder, so a clutch problem alone will never cause you to lose brakes.

Replacing the clutch master cylinder is easy - it is held on by two 13mm nuts, the rubber hose to the brake fluid reservoir and an 11mm flare nut for the hydraulic line.

Bleeding a 504 clutch requires a special method that is well documented on this site, but is by no means difficult. It does require two people though.

Good luck!
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car