new 308 'choppy' ride
  • Register
  • Help

Default new 308 'choppy' ride

Got the new 308 'sportium' last Tuesday - has 225/45/R17 Continental tyres/wheels fitted and the ride is very choppy. They have offered to refit the standard 16" wheels with Michelin 205/55 tyres....my last car was a three series BMW and I did the same thing exactly and the ride comfort improved out of site.
    I'm too old for racing now, and want comfort and I think Ill do it, but if anybody has had a similar experience comments and opinions will most be appreciated..

Advertisement

thanks all, Kev

Kev, I agree with your sentiments entirely. When I started out in my driving life getting from A to B in the quickest possible time was my total objective. Now in my 2.2 litre diesel C5 it is getting from A to B in the most comfortable fashion imaginable with a great CD in the player. Hence I drive a Citroen. My last choice would be a BMW with run flat tyres and my preferred choice is wheel diametres of no larger than 16 inch and tyres no greater than 34 psi. Tyre wear will be greater but so what. The NG of 1 will not allow me to drive much faster than the legal limit so ultimate road holding is no longer a consideration.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

at last a kindred spirit! I miss my beautiful C5 that I just traded (had it and the Beema) and miss the smooth ride. I always under inflate the tyres a couple of PSI for a softer ride. Thanks for you reply.

Hi Kev,
    I've had mine for a month or so now and hear where you are coming from but .....
    It is kinda weird because really little sharp bumps (smaller than cats eyes) do crash through but anything bigger is just soaked up with lovely compliance. I did wonder about the smaller rims but really liked the look of the 17's so will have to live with it.
    Would be interested to hear if the smaller rims make a difference.
    Last edited by Stevef; 11th May 2011 at 09:20 PM.
    Cheers

Steve.

He - '05 Megane Dynamique - Black
    She - '10 308 Hdi Touring Sportium - Grey

Default 308 choppy ride

Hi mate

Got the 16" wheels fitted yesterday from another car, and they inflated them to 48psi despite being asked not to, but they all do that for some reason. Anyway, I went and let them down to 32psi and to be absolutely honest it hasn't made much difference at all. I'm very surprised and had I known would have left the 17's on but I'm not game to ask the dealer to change back. The little difference it has made is with the small pot holes and cats eyes bumps, but the car is still quite unsettled on any kind of undulating road (which is all of them) and 'jiggles' most of the time. Apart from that It's good, and most of my driving is around town and the 400k's I've done shows 8.6l/100 consumption which I'm pleased with.

best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by bigkev414 View Post
    Got the new 308 'sportium' last Tuesday - has 225/45/R17 Continental tyres/wheels fitted and the ride is very choppy. They have offered to refit the standard 16" wheels with Michelin 205/55 tyres....my last car was a three series BMW and I did the same thing exactly and the ride comfort improved out of site.
    I'm too old for racing now, and want comfort and I think Ill do it, but if anybody has had a similar experience comments and opinions will most be appreciated..

thanks all, Kev
    Funny, I retro-fitted 225/45 series 17s (Contisports) to our 320d (came with 205 16" Turanzas) and the ride and refinement actually improved slightly, even with the RFTs. As for the grip - it's a safer and much more entertaining drive now. I'm much less convinced about the benefits of going to a lower profile 18" of the same width however.
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Funny, I retro-fitted 225/45 series 17s (Contisports) to our 320d (came with 205 16" Turanzas) and the ride and refinement actually improved slightly, even with the RFTs. As for the grip - it's a safer and much more entertaining drive now. I'm much less convinced about the benefits of going to a lower profile 18" of the same width however.
    I had the same experience with our 323 Beema and changed tyres from Bridgestone (Poland) to Continentals and there was a big difference. Also had a car exactly like yours (010 320d) and they have 'tweeked' the suspension on that car so it has a much more forgiving ride that the previous 3 series we had which was an '09. The car you have is the best car I ever owned by the way - only sold it because of health / financial problems.
    regards, Kev

Yes, the suspension tune is quite different to the 05/06 models, both standard and Sport versions.
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Thread Information