505 GTi stop light not working, not globe
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 505 GTi stop light not working, not globe

I discovered one of my stop lights (RH) is not working today. Did the usual, changed the globe and it’s not the globe, fiddled around with it a bit and it doesn’t seem to be a poor contact. I looked up the fuses in the Haynes and they claim both stop lights are on the same fuse it seems fuse - no11 which includes the instrument panel as well. The LH light works and so does the instrumental panel light so I presume it is not the fuse.

So I write to ask where to begin. I did have the clutch done recently with the diff removed so maybe a wire has been left off. What do I look for, any clues and/or experience with this appreciated?

Last time I went to an auto electrician I was charged $100 to have a spark plug changed so I’d prefer to fix it myself if I can.

The car is an '89 GTi manual wagon.

Advertisement

Last edited by okalford; 9th May 2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: word space
    '66 404 Wagon
    '78 504 Wagon
    '89 505 GTI S II Familiale

Quote Originally Posted by okalford View Post
    I discovered one of my stop lights (RH) is not working today. Did the usual, changed the globe and itís not the globe, fiddled around with it a bit and it doesnít seem to be a poor contact. I looked up the fuses in the Haynes and they claim both stop lights are on the same fuse it seems fuse - no11 which includes the instrument panel as well. The LH light works and so does the instrumental panel light so I presume it is not the fuse.

So I write to ask where to begin. I did have the clutch done recently with the diff removed so maybe a wire has been left off. What do I look for, any cluesand/or experience with this appreciated?

Last time I went to an auto electrician I was charged $100 to have a spark plug changed so Iíd prefer to fix it myself if I can.

The car is an '89 GTi manual wagon.
    Hi Kaye,

Trace the wiring from the working stop light to non working stoplight if possible.

In the older cars the wiring used to the left tail light, then had a wiring loom going E-W across the back inside edge of the boot. Typically clipped up just under the top edge.

Also check out any multi-pole connectors, unplug and replug.

Ah it's a wagon so the wire may be in in the spare wheel well?

Other than check for cable damage.

Since there is no weirdness with flasher or tail lights the earth to body is probably OK.

cheers

Rob

Fellow Frogger!

Run a new wire from the working stop light to the non- working one. If it now works...good. if it doesn't, then have a good look at the whole tail light assembly on the non- working side. neil

Tadpole

Default Stop light

I had this happen to me two years ago. In this case it was the pedal switch. Generic replacement about $15 from memory.

Thread Information