Help! Early 504 seats parts and advice needed
  • Register
  • Help

Default Help! Early 504 seats parts and advice needed

As some of you know, I've been on the hunt for a pair of early 504 seats (the french seats) for quite awhile. The search recently came to an end courtesy of Laurie from the Victorian Peugeot Club. YAY!

The only problem is that the seats didn't come with the bits to secure them to the actual car. The cushions and frames are all there (in need of TLC), but these seats require a unique mounting system which Laurie didn't have.

I think I need the parts circled in the attached picture, but would welcome advice from Froggers out there with some experience with these seats. I'd love to see how the underside of a French seat with the bits attached looks.

Most importantly though, does anyone out there have the bits and piece I need to mount the seats? These parts must be lurking in someone's shed somewhere!

Thanks,

Michael

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help! Early 504 seats parts and advice needed-seat-parts.gif  
    Current:
    1973 504GL Berline
    1997 406 ST

Past:
    R19RT; 1979 504GL Berline with Factory Air; S3 205GTi; 206GTi; 505STi; R4

Default French Seats

Michael,

Well done on getting a set of the Fench seats. They are excellent. My first 504 had them (velour) - so comfortable.

I can't help you with the bits though sorry. However, can you adapt the later type of mounting system to these seats?

Cheers,
    James

Thanks James. I'm sure the seats could be made to fit on the Renault frame, but part of the reason I looked for these seats is that they sit alot lower than the Oz spec ones.

Nobody out there got any tips or parts they would like to sell me? Alpine, Pug303, Demannu?

Really want to get these seats operational so I can see under the windscreen!

Cheers,

Michael
    Current:
    1973 504GL Berline
    1997 406 ST

Past:

Quote Originally Posted by michaelh View Post
    Thanks James. I'm sure the seats could be made to fit on the Renault frame, but part of the reason I looked for these seats is that they sit alot lower than the Oz spec ones.

Nobody out there got any tips or parts they would like to sell me? Alpine, Pug303, Demannu?

Really want to get these seats operational so I can see under the windscreen!

Cheers,

Michael
    If have a set of 404 seat runners. These are likely to be similar to the early 504 seat runners. The seat mounts to the runner by a "spike" at the front and stud at the back. Do you seats have this arrangement? These runner are around 25 high.

Can someone post an image of early 504 seat runner? Then I can compare to what to I have.

You are welcome to them for cost of freight. Which should be under $10.00

Sorry - bum steer- I've look at exploded view, they are not at all similar.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

As some of you know, I've been on the hunt for a pair of early 504 seats (the french seats) for quite awhile. The search recently came to an end courtesy of Laurie from the Victorian Peugeot Club. YAY!

The only problem is that the seats didn't come with the bits to secure them to the actual car. The cushions and frames are all there (in need of TLC), but these seats require a unique mounting system which Laurie didn't have.

I think I need the parts circled in the attached picture, but would welcome advice from Froggers out there with some experience with these seats. I'd love to see how the underside of a French seat with the bits attached looks.

Most importantly though, does anyone out there have the bits and piece I need to mount the seats? These parts must be lurking in someone's shed somewhere!

Thanks,

Michael
    Aren't these the same as 604

cheers Pete

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Michael,

Sorry, I've got no spare bits. I had a complete set of early seats and mounts (vinyl was a bit tatty though) that had to go due to lack of space. Noone was interested on here at the time!

Anyhow, I just wanted to ask if you have a full length centre console in your car. If you do, fitting the seats could be tricky. They are too wide to fit with the full length centre console on the original mounts. This could be your opportunity to modify the mounts to move the seats 10mm or so outboard.

I should clarify - the seats will go in, but will be pressed HARD up against the centre console. They will be hard to slide, and if you try to fit the seatbelts on a stalk, they will gouge the console and/or the vinyl of the seat. It's not quite as bad with the webbing seatbelts, but still problematic.

They are lovely seats though, and I would happily lose my centre console to have them! Some early 504s with umbrella handbrakes had a centre panel with a lift-up section that was narrower than the later console, and fit well with the early seats. Also a very handy storage compartment!
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    If have a set of 404 seat runners. These are likely to be similar to the early 504 seat runners. The seat mounts to the runner by a "spike" at the front and stud at the back. Do you seats have this arrangement? These runner are around 25 high.

Can someone post an image of early 504 seat runner? Then I can compare to what to I have.

You are welcome to them for cost of freight. Which should be under $10.00

Sorry - bum steer- I've look at exploded view, they are not at all similar.
    No they are very different.
    The front of the seat is supported by a swivelling strut attached to the floor at one central point.
    The sides are attached to rails (with position notches) fixed to the transmission tunnel and the side chassis rail.
    This means the front of the seat drops when pushed back and rises when forward, this is meant to alter the height to suit different sized people.
    Renaults Australia's seat supplier, Henderson's, made up a frame which took the place of this hardware and meant that its conventional style seats could be fitted.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu View Post
    Michael,

Sorry, I've got no spare bits. I had a complete set of early seats and mounts (vinyl was a bit tatty though) that had to go due to lack of space. Noone was interested on here at the time!

Anyhow, I just wanted to ask if you have a full length centre console in your car. If you do, fitting the seats could be tricky. They are too wide to fit with the full length centre console on the original mounts. This could be your opportunity to modify the mounts to move the seats 10mm or so outboard.

I should clarify - the seats will go in, but will be pressed HARD up against the centre console. They will be hard to slide, and if you try to fit the seatbelts on a stalk, they will gouge the console and/or the vinyl of the seat. It's not quite as bad with the webbing seatbelts, but still problematic.

They are lovely seats though, and I would happily lose my centre console to have them! Some early 504s with umbrella handbrakes had a centre panel with a lift-up section that was narrower than the later console, and fit well with the early seats. Also a very handy storage compartment!
    Scotty,

I can't believe you got rid of a pair of those seats. How long ago? What rock was I hiding under?

I remember you posting something before about the width of these seats, and yes I do have a full console in my car - it's a 1973 model. However, I've found a number of pics showing these seats in cars with the full consoles and have attached an example from a 1974 brochure. I can definitely see your point about the seatbelts though - fortunately mine has retractables on the inside of the console.

Any other ideas or leads on who might have the bits I need (as Graham described) who be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help! Early 504 seats parts and advice needed-pug-pic.jpg  
    Last edited by michaelh; 10th May 2011 at 09:54 PM.
    Current:
    1973 504GL Berline
    1997 406 ST

Past:

Fellow Frogger!

I have the side fittings you need, will dig them out in next few of days ( stashed elsewhere)

I do have a pair of brown cloth 1978 seats with front bracket but they are not the thick padded early seats they are the late profile From memory the bracket is welded to the seat base.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    The front of the seat is supported by a swivelling strut attached to the floor at one central point.
    The sides are attached to rails (with position notches) fixed to the transmission tunnel and the side chassis rail.
    This means the front of the seat drops when pushed back and rises when forward, this is meant to alter the height to suit different sized people.
    Renaults Australia's seat supplier, Henderson's, made up a frame which took the place of this hardware and meant that its conventional style seats could be fitted.
    Graham
    Graham,

How is the swivelling strut attached to the front of the seat? It doesn't appear to be welded on - at least there are no signs of broken welds on the underside of my seats...

Alpine - that's great news, will wait with baited breath for news!

Michael
    Current:
    1973 504GL Berline
    1997 406 ST

Past:

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the reminder Graham ,had forgotten about those tube frames
    i did have a pair of those seat base frames , will hunt for them as well prolly on w/e

Fellow Frogger!

found the seat frames !
    PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Graham
    Graham,

You wouldn't happen to have the bits I'm after would you? Failing that, are you able to post a picture of the underside of an early 504 seat?

Thanks,

Michael
    Current:
    1973 504GL Berline
    1997 406 ST

Past:

VIP Sponsor

Graham,

You wouldn't happen to have the bits I'm after would you? Failing that, are you able to post a picture of the underside of an early 504 seat?

Thanks,

Michael
    Sorry, no on both counts.

Thread Information