Redex 2013
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Redex 2013

1000+ Posts

Default Redex 2013

Attention Graham Wallis.

My mate Dog told me you are busy organising this great 60th aniversary event.

My missus and I want to take our 203 for that run and I need to know what will be required to participate?

Never having been on any rallies I have no idea, and even if we can't be official, we'd like to tag along in our beastie. It just sounds like the run of a lifetime.

Advertisement

Are any details available yet? Car requirements, route, etc.?

Cheers,
    Dan and Kezza

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    Attention Graham Wallis.

My mate Dog told me you are busy organising this great 60th aniversary event.

My missus and I want to take our 203 for that run and I need to know what will be required to participate?

Never having been on any rallies I have no idea, and even if we can't be official, we'd like to tag along in our beastie. It just sounds like the run of a lifetime.

Are any details available yet? Car requirements, route, etc.?

Cheers,
    Dan and Kezza
    Hi Dan,
    Won't be a rally this time, just a drive but there will probably be some stand alone motorkhanas and some untimed road events, navigation or fuel economy. No speed tests or overall winner though.
    Eligibility is that the car is a 203, doesn't matter what modifications.
    Hopefully we will have some more info before too long, I gave people a look at a possible running schedule at the Pageant in Canberra. We plan plenty of vehicle displays, tourist stops, dinners etc as in last time.
    Route as before will be Sydney, Townsville, Tennant Creek, Darwin, Alice Springs, Port Augusta, Adelaide, Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney.
    Graham

1000+ Posts

Sounds fantastic Graham.
    Any idea of the possible departure date and the possible duration of the event?
    Maybe there should be a roadworthy certificate required as a starting ticket. You wouldn't want silly dramas with tie rods or wheel bearings or bad tyres on a trip like that.
    Maybe oil and water should be checked for colour as well before people are allowed to set off. Er , does that sound a bit fascist?
    Also I'm just having a windscreen made from modern stuff, using the original as a template. I'll take a tracing of it on some dressmakers patternmaking card which I plan to keep in the car in a solid cardboard tube for the unforseen broken windscreen wherever I might be.
    And there probably should be a supply of radiator hoses, fan belts, the odd water pump, a starter or two, alternators and a good electrical kit with multimeter, wire, switches of various kinds, connectors and plenty of bulbs. I will have some of these things on board.
    Anything else would probably mean dropping out and waiting for parts or a tow. I'm not going to bring a spare gearbox or diff along. Sorry it would spoil the ride.
    Roos could be a major problem so no driving should be done out there in the outback approaching dusk or at night, It's a guarantee that someone will come a cropper bigtime. Still can happen anytime of course, but the risk needs to be minimized.
    Last question, will there be an entry fee to cover all this hard preparation you guys are doing?
    Last edited by luthier; 7th May 2011 at 10:15 AM.

VIP Sponsor

Sounds fantastic Graham.
    Any idea of the possible departure date and the possible duration of the event?
    Maybe there should be a roadworthy certificate required as a starting ticket. You wouldn't want silly dramas with tie rods or wheel bearings or bad tyres on a trip like that.
    Maybe oil and water should be checked for colour as well before people are allowed to set off. Er , does that sound a bit fascist?
    Also I'm just having a windscreen made from modern stuff, using the original as a template. I'll take a tracing of it on some dressmakers patternmaking card which I plan to keep in the car in a solid cardboard tube for the unforseen broken windscreen wherever I might be.
    And there probably should be a supply of radiator hoses, fan belts, the odd water pump, a starter or two, alternators and a good electrical kit with multimeter, wire, switches of various kinds, connectors and plenty of bulbs. I will have some of these things on board.
    Anything else would probably mean dropping out and waiting for parts or a tow. I'm not going to bring a spare gearbox or diff along. Sorry it would spoil the ride.
    Roos could be a major problem so no driving should be done out there in the outback approaching dusk or at night, It's a guarantee that someone will come a cropper bigtime. Still can happen anytime of course, but the risk needs to be minimized.
    Last question, will there be an entry fee to cover all this hard preparation you guys are doing?
    We had full rally scrutiny last time, will be a little more lenient next time.
    We had a truck for spares following us in 2003, will do the same this time, I have a good stock of parts and others will be able to put spares on board.
    One thing we really need is the front seal for the worm drive diffs, I implored everyone to replace this last time and we had no blown up diffs.
    These are no longer available, hopefully we will get away with good second hand seals for those that haven't replaced them recently..
    Yes, an entry fee, 2003 was pretty cheap, 2006 not so much due to the large amount of motorsport in that event and CAMS involvement.
    This time with little motorsport we should be able to leep it low.
    Graham

1000+ Posts

Do you have the specs for that front seal Graham?
    My manual describes a couple of differences between early and late models but no mention if the seal changed.
    It's possible we might score them at CBC bearings if we know the dimensions. Or even the numbers on the seal.
    I expect you've already been down this track? Tried NeoRetro as well no doubt?
    The other way would be to get a short run of them made in China.
    I have a friend who has contacts in that area.
    Hey we could flood the market with 'em and have one of those ebay sites to get rid of the excess. All depends on the cost of course.

VIP Sponsor

Do you have the specs for that front seal Graham?
    My manual describes a couple of differences between early and late models but no mention if the seal changed.
    It's possible we might score them at CBC bearings if we know the dimensions. Or even the numbers on the seal.
    I expect you've already been down this track? Tried NeoRetro as well no doubt?
    The other way would be to get a short run of them made in China.
    I have a friend who has contacts in that area.
    Hey we could flood the market with 'em and have one of those ebay sites to get rid of the excess. All depends on the cost of course.
    They are a special spring pressure seal a bit like a water pump seal.
    I bought Neo Retro's last one.
    The only specs I have are from the parts book Cyclam "AD" 25.47.13
    I could measure one up and take photos.
    I tried a seal supplier dealing older cars and he had never sean anything like it.
    Normal lip seals have been tried but weren't satisfactory.
    Graham

1000+ Posts

I see[said the blind man........] so I have a spare dif/axle assembly, almost certainly from a 403. Would that be the same? Is it easy to access that seal by removing the pressure plate around the front spline? Would it be trashed by removal? I'd like to get a handle on this.
    There has to be a way around it. Maybe the lip seals weren't robust enough or maybe there needs to be some kind of insert machined to fit inside the pressure plate that can house some heavy O'rings or something like that fibre stuff used in the front engine seal on a 504 diesel ? But lip seals are good for so many applications, it's probably just a matter of getting the right type as long as the shaft it's bearing on is in good nick.

VIP Sponsor

I see[said the blind man........] so I have a spare dif/axle assembly, almost certainly from a 403. Would that be the same? Is it easy to access that seal by removing the pressure plate around the front spline? Would it be trashed by removal? I'd like to get a handle on this.
    There has to be a way around it. Maybe the lip seals weren't robust enough or maybe there needs to be some kind of insert machined to fit inside the pressure plate that can house some heavy O'rings or something like that fibre stuff used in the front engine seal on a 504 diesel ? But lip seals are good for so many applications, it's probably just a matter of getting the right type as long as the shaft it's bearing on is in good nick.
    Yes, 403 is the same.
    I've heard that a reason for the type of seal used may be pressure build up due to the worm's action as a pump.
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Default diff

Curious Graham, that pressure should build up is it not ?
    there is a gap in the round plate.... presumably to equalise the pressure?

yet Lew's van used to occasionally build pressure and pump all the oil out so he had a bottle inside to catch it!!

Lew used to reckon it helped the splines on the commercials if the oil went into the torque tube

only problem then was if you parked facing down hill, the oil seeped out from the ball joint ,in a puddle

cheers

1000+ Posts

My wagon would pump out through the axle breather onto the back spring until the Ballarat dealer soldered a rams horn onto the pipe. Still did it a bit but not a problem. It was so common for diff oil to be in the torque tubes I always accepted it as normal. When I got my first 403 a mechanic told me to use Castrol WD1. Later on another mechanic was amazed it ran at all in the mornings because he said it was 240 grade. Don't think it would have got past any seal. I wonder if you can still get it.

1000+ Posts

Sounds like you guys will need a reliable back up vehicle - like a 404 maybe...
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    Sounds like you guys will need a reliable back up vehicle - like a 404 maybe...
    404 has same seal so no improvement.
    No problems for short trips but extended cruising is where the diff runs dry and the worms are stripped of teeth.
    Graham

1000+ Posts

... thought you might say something like that.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Thread Information