• Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Carbonized

Thread: 206 gti 180, antipollution fault / cat conveter

Tadpole

Default 206 gti 180, antipollution fault / cat conveter

Hi all,

Advertisement

as of last week when i start my car an error message appears 'antipollution faut' i looked in the manual and it says it may be the cat conveter. has anyone had this problem?
    also does anyone know the size of the actual cat conveter?

cheers,
    marc

Hi mate
    from what I gather the " antipollution fault " covers many possible issues that the car may have. When my GTI 180 had the same fault it turned out that it needed a new coil pack (a common problem with these). I think the best way to find out is to get it plugged into a diagnostic machine and it can pretty much tell you where the problem is. How is it running??
    Cheers

Tadpole

hmm not sure, the car is running fine!

Tadpole

My 180 is on it's 3rd coil pack and does report anti-pollutant faults. It did this a lot when the coil packs were on their way out. Also get the very occasional one every now and then, which mechanic has said could be just a bad batch of fuel, and was told not really anything to worry about.

I also got a lot of faults when my battery was dying last time - ie. anti-pollutant, air-bag faults. Went away when battery was replaced.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Scott

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by scottc01 View Post
    My 180 is on it's 3rd coil pack and does report anti-pollutant faults. It did this a lot when the coil packs were on their way out. Also get the very occasional one every now and then, which mechanic has said could be just a bad batch of fuel, and was told not really anything to worry about.

I also got a lot of faults when my battery was dying last time - ie. anti-pollutant, air-bag faults. Went away when battery was replaced.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Scott
    3 coil packs!

My coil pack does at the 105,000 klm mark. It sounds suss so many of them have died!
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

I read on the uk 206 info site that some brands of spark plugs cause coil pack probs. I think ngk plugs caused the issues. Search on 206info.co.uk it may help.
    Last edited by KK Puggy; 6th June 2011 at 08:42 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

hey there, have u modified ur exhaust?
    My 180 is currently throwing up anti pollution fault because my custom exhaust was built for the car, then tuned perfectly and then cut up again the wrong way, what happend was my O2 sensors were put further away from each other, thus a fault. From the info i got from EMS, is thisalso ill say ur fault came up when u were on the hiway at 100kms/h???
    If u have modified ur exhaust ull have a problem unless it was built by someone who knows what they were doing so as to not throw ur O2s out, they have to be exact as they take a reading one before ur cat, one after, if they are not the factory distance apart anymore ull get the fault, ull also get a fault if u have a hiflo cat n its not Euro 4, also if ur cats flogged out ull get a fault(bang it with a hammer, if it rattles its floggged), and if i remember rightly coils may possibly be a part of it, not so much a main cause however. My car still runs fine, just the fault comes up, until i have my exhaust re hand made if u want the exact correct fix ring Magic at EMS, he knows all
    PUG 206 GTI 180
    AEGEAN BLUE
    OZ RACING ULTRALEGGERAS
    BREMBOS
    ACHILLIES 123S TRACK RUBBER
    AST SPORTLINE I
    AST SOLID TOP MOUNTS
    EMS EXHAUST
    EMS TUNED
    AP CLUTCH
    PHILLIPS HIDS
    GENUINE MORETTES
    IPOD CABLE
    DYNAMAT

107 fwkW DYNO'D 2012

Tadpole

Do you have an amp?

Last weekend I bought a 2004 GTi 180. Came with Anti-pollution fault and some other electrical problems such as the passenger window hesitating to go up and left turning indicator flicking 1000x an hour when used. It also struggled at times to accelerate during cold starts and I could hear the engine rev through the speakers.

First thing I did was rip out the aftermarket radio and amp that was tech screwed behind the rear seat. Checking under the seats, WIRES, stereo wires everywhere, like snakes. I removed the lot, got Frankies in Albion Park to put a new one in. By the next day I noticed the check engine light had gone and the anti-pollution fault had disappeared. Maybe the 12V amp wire was leaking current into the chassis, giving the sensors a non-zero ground to work with. It may have just been a coincidence, but to isolate your problems, try removing any funky wiring you got running around.
    pug206gti likes this.

Hi there. My 206 gti has the cat cut out.
    I get a back fire when I change down and check lite comes on.
    It has the o2 sensors still in there.
    Does any one have a good idea what I should do to stop check lite coming on
    Cheers peter

Sent from my GT-I9505 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Put a cat in it the sensors or seeing the cat is inefficient

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Thread Information