Tidying up the 604
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tidying up the 604

Default Tidying up the 604

Yep...this thread is about the "tidying up of my 604" for the french car day on the 1st of june 2011...

But....but...buuuttttt....the french car day was on 1st of May...you say...Yes,...Yes,....I know but due to old age,....lack of sex,...to much work,...or a number of other reasons i somehow managed to confuse my may with my june (if only they were women)...But anyway...here we are...I missed the french car day but the 604 still needs attention...so as per plan I started on the car last night (you see i gave my self a whole month to get her ready)...so here are some progress pics thus far...

Advertisement

Seats out...I ll moisturize them more..then fix up the split stitching...should be nice and easy now they are out...

removed door trims as well...will give me time to lubricate all channels and door locks...spent a few minutes on the windows (fronts) and the fast glass is starting to do its thing quicker...

will vacum and then pressure wash tomorrow...a few days drying time and she ll be as good as new...

Minus carpet...

Cleaned up a little bit more... I ll wash with prepsol tommorow...the apply a more "modern" underlay with some dynamat to sesctions....

Came across some broken glass...so she s had an accident at some stage...nothing major though...as ai couldnt spot any structural damage...maybe a smashed window?

Another reason why I took the trim off....will retrim with...I think...dark brown vinyl (to replace cloth sections) to match existing trim--dash and console are much darker....

Noooo....none of that JBL or alpine crap...peugeot went all out on this one....MAGNAAAAAWOXXX baby... Think I ll keep these...................NOTTT

300square meters... WTF...

dino

to be continued tomorrow...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tidying up the 604-front-seats-out.jpg   Tidying up the 604-door-trim-off.jpg   Tidying up the 604-cleaned-up-floor.jpg   Tidying up the 604-carpet-out-cleaning.jpg   Tidying up the 604-accident-damage.jpg   Tidying up the 604-due-repair-door.jpg  

Tidying up the 604-full-house.jpg   Tidying up the 604-minus-carpet.jpg   Tidying up the 604-reas-seats-out.jpg   Tidying up the 604-seat-base.jpg   Tidying up the 604-secondary-harness.jpg   Tidying up the 604-wow-magnawox.jpg  

Tidying up the 604-seats-out.jpg  
    dishaka likes this.

Ohhh I forgot....thought i d use this opprtunity to thank the person who "did this":

See...the door handle is attached at "three points"...all self tappers...two big suckers to hold the main body and a little tiny bitty jobbie for the top part of the handle (screwed form underneath) ...So to the freaking "MORON" who thought using a screw thats about a centimetre longer was a good idea...WRONG....god i hate stupid people...

Ok now that i ve got that of my chest..off to bed...

dino
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tidying up the 604-moron-.jpg  

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

"Dino's 604 blog".

I spot 205, 306 and a Mk 2 Golf. All yours?
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

1000+ Posts

I have some 604 door panels and seats, plus arm-rests if you need anything to replace butchered bits.

2 of my cars are Melbourne bound in the next few weeks. Maybe someone might to prepared to tansport the stuff if you need anything.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Fellow Frogger!

Sorry to hijack the thread Dino, but you mention lubricating the window channels. What is the accepted product for this job?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    Ohhh I forgot....thought i d use this opprtunity to thank the person who "did this":

See...the door handle is attached at "three points"...all self tappers...two big suckers to hold the main body and a little tiny bitty jobbie for the top part of the handle (screwed form underneath) ...So to the freaking "MORON" who thought using a screw thats about a centimetre longer was a good idea...WRONG....god i hate stupid people...

Ok now that i ve got that of my chest..off to bed...

dino
    Hi Dino,

If the mounting lugs on the doors are the same as a few other models the actual lug has a M6 tapped hole in it. The armrests simply have an short bolt which clamps on one side of the hollowed out armrest.

This is a poor design because the grabbing of the arm rests to close the doors wear the arm rest and the thread in the lug of the door.

I've (permanently) fixed a few armrests and you may wish to consider my method.

1) Spot weld (mig) a 6mm nut on the top of the armrest metal inner under the trim.under where the hole is now). You need to scoop out some foam and use a bolt to hold the nut in place. I had a bucket of water handy to cool the metal immediately after the nut is spotted place, just dip the extremity into the water.

2) Drill the hole in lug to 6.3 mm

Now use as longer bolt and both sides of the armrest metal inner will be clamped. The new nut is hidden under the trim material .

You need to be careful with the heat of migging but I haven't had a failure yet!

cheers

Rob

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tcusack View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread Dino, but you mention lubricating the window channels. What is the accepted product for this job?

Tim
    silicone spray is a wonderful product

i have used it in my 604's for years on the windows and the roof

from new they were never quick but with the spray they do move much better
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Dino

looks like no one has ever replaced the speakers any way

hwile you have them out just check behind them to make sure all is clean and rust free as this is where a 604 will rust out when the sunroof drains block up

also just undo the bolts at the bottom of the front guards and clean out in there as well otherwise you will end up with a very rusty car

it is also worth pulling the sill covers off (yes even 604's still have the 203/403/404 problem) and check the sills for rust as the front wheels throw all the road gunk into this area so it can keep samples of where it has been
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

forgot to add

as much as they speakers are cough cough top shelf at least they are aussie made not the stuff they put into the 605

this i'm afraid is the only thing i have to quibble about the 605, cheap arse nasty speakers

at least someone put some thought into the one i have somewhere along the line and replaced the parcel shelf units with pioneers but the rest are autosonik
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by peujohn View Post
    "Dino's 604 blog".

I spot 205Gti, 306s16 and a Mk 2 Golf Gti. All yours?

fixed it for ya...

No the golf is a shared car and the s16 is my sisters... "MY" s16 is further down...205gti is mine...presciousssssssss

dino

Quote Originally Posted by pugnut1 View Post
    I have some 604 door panels and seats, plus arm-rests if you need anything to replace butchered bits.

2 of my cars are Melbourne bound in the next few weeks. Maybe someone might to prepared to tansport the stuff if you need anything.

cheers...am grateful for your consideration...would certainly love to get my hands on the plastic end bits that sit in curved seat rails...

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Hi Dino,

If the mounting lugs on the doors are the same as a few other models the actual lug has a M6 tapped hole in it. The armrests simply have an short bolt which clamps on one side of the hollowed out armrest.

This is a poor design because the grabbing of the arm rests to close the doors wear the arm rest and the thread in the lug of the door.

I've (permanently) fixed a few armrests and you may wish to consider my method.

1) Spot weld (mig) a 6mm nut on the top of the armrest metal inner under the trim.under where the hole is now). You need to scoop out some foam and use a bolt to hold the nut in place. I had a bucket of water handy to cool the metal immediately after the nut is spotted place, just dip the extremity into the water.

2) Drill the hole in lug to 6.3 mm

Now use as longer bolt and both sides of the armrest metal inner will be clamped. The new nut is hidden under the trim material .

You need to be careful with the heat of migging but I haven't had a failure yet!

cheers

Rob
    Cheers Rob...I ll see how I go...existing set up works well bar the fact that the fixing plates have started to separate from the foam molding so one of the armrest wasnt resting flat..think I ll fix separation with adhesive...

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    silicone spray is a wonderful product

i have used it in my 604's for years on the windows and the roof

from new they were never quick but with the spray they do move much better
    Tim... I do pretty much what rambo does...in the case of the 604 I actually gave the units a good soaking with degreaser,...but will give them a thorough wash tonight...THEN I ll lubricate and treat the rubber channels with silicone...Since I ve got all the trim off it doesnt make sense to lubricate "dirty" parts.. (last night was only a quick test to see if they respond and there is no other more troublesome underlying issues)...

forgot to add

as much as they speakers are cough cough top shelf at least they are aussie made not the stuff they put into the 605

this i'm afraid is the only thing i have to quibble about the 605, cheap arse nasty speakers

at least someone put some thought into the one i have somewhere along the line and replaced the parcel shelf units with pioneers but the rest are autosonik
    Dino

looks like no one has ever replaced the speakers any way

while you have them out just check behind them to make sure all is clean and rust free as this is where a 604 will rust out when the sunroof drains block up

also just undo the bolts at the bottom of the front guards and clean out in there as well otherwise you will end up with a very rusty car

it is also worth pulling the sill covers off (yes even 604's still have the 203/403/404 problem) and check the sills for rust as the front wheels throw all the road gunk into this area so it can keep samples of where it has been
    Yeahh...i ll give it a good check over and clean....back of the speaker area is getting dynamat treatment and am either going to go for splits or I might try some older pioneers...Splits can sound right but when there is so much separation (604 speakers are in the wrong bloody spot) I am thinking single point source is best...
    Tonight, I am going to run amp wiring, rca cables and speaker cables...I ll post pics tonight...this car is going to sound 'amazing" when its done...I ve got some pretty special gear going in (valve based amps and top of the range SQ clarion from a few years ago...still sounds astonishingly good...spectacular is the word i ve heard to describe it)...

dino

when you run the cables for the amps and such go down the tunnel and not the sides of the car where there other cables are

you won't get any interference that way
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Dynamat is expensive and heavy ....................... You know the exchange rate is brilliant at the moment!!

http://www.lobucrod.com/

If I had the $$$$ I'd buy in 480square feet of the stuff, it's half the price I paid for it these days ( bloody exchange rate ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

when you run the cables for the amps and such go down the tunnel and not the sides of the car where there other cables are

you won't get any interference that way
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Dynamat is expensive and heavy ....................... You know the exchange rate is brilliant at the moment!!

http://www.lobucrod.com/

If I had the $$$$ I'd buy in 480square feet of the stuff, it's half the price I paid for it these days ( bloody exchange rate ).

seeya,
    Shane L.

yeahhh I ll separate all three...rca one side, power on the other...speakers by the sills...i ll see how it goes tonight...will try a few different spots...it really depends where i end up mounting the amps...I want it to be a reasonably "discrete" install....no subs here...just good quality sound.

Re: dynamat...no...i am not doing the whole car...that would be silly...its unnecessary and unwarranted...
    I m going to go oem route....Do the speaker area...and any flat patches of metal that might vibrate at low levels...remember, I m not building a "doof-doof" car...so there is no need to go to extreme lengths to control bass and its effects...I ll probably end up using a combination of dynamat and "other" insulation...eg.body deadener spray.

On the other front...I went down to my local fabric supplier and chased up 'appropriate' vinyl, needles and string to do the trim repairs (if only I was this versatile in bed ) (must also note...spotlight and such is a great pick up place )

dino

you need a hook needle and wax coated thread to repair the seats

also go to your local saddlery and pick up a tin of Ge-wy (not KY ) and leave the seats out in the sun for a while and liberally coat them with said Ge-wy and put them back inside

let this stuff soak in for a few days, longer if possible and do this at least once a month, you will find the seats will soften and the stitching will survive a lot better

the rear seats you will find in the 604 seem to be made from a different grade of leather, if you can call the fronts leather but the fronts will soften in time

this is the only product that i have found that works after having tried just about everything out there
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Strangely the lady at the mentone fabric shop recommended KY...she also does saddle repairs...she also recommended heat...now that I think about it...was she really talking about leather or????
    I gotta watch these more "mature" ladies....

I ll look into it Rambo...

dino

also when you put that console back in make sure you get that big earth wire and where it nmounts a damn good clean so it has good contact

you will find things will not only be brighter, work quicker but you will not have any misshaps as when it isn't right you will want to open the roof and you will press the roof button and you will find the rear wondow goes down instead

that earth is very important

604 wiring can be 'fun' to work with
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Default and this is why we always need more time than we think we need...

Yes, boys and girls...I got picked up by my brother this aftrenoon and by the time we made it to bayswater it was bucketing like there was no tomorrow...so had to cancel carpet washing...was also planning to do the inside of doors...ahhh well...will have to wait till tommorow or the day after...

In the meantime i went and followed the good ladys advice...got me some KY and slapped it on the seat...put them under 600 watts and watch them melt ...

And this is the reason why I have to make sure leather is soft first...simply not feasible to do any repairs till leather has "some" give...

So..while the seats were baking i filled my time by helping my brother remove the drivers seat out of his old merc...holly crap..mother of god...the base on the merc just didnt want to let go...so we just gave up (we are bosnians so are allowed to do that--we thought beer was more important)..but I digress...
    I got the amp kit out and started doing preliminary wiring plan/experimenting...

I ve got these two babies:

I m thinking "old skool" is the way to go if we are going to maintain the "uber cool" status

Very rare...very collectible...very 604...perfecto mondo...

So I ve gotta run a power cable to the back:

and its gotta be nice and clean...tidy...i m going to run some split tubing over power wire after all is done...used a grommet to protect firewall from certain meltdown...opted for 4 gauge...should be plenty for my application and is much less bulky to work with...

Once in the boot, I removed the backing trim (the one that covers the fuel tank)...I ll make a duplicate copy (including light fitting) tomorrow...probably use 12mm MDF...this will support the amps...
    While in the boot...I gave it a quick once over with a brush and applied rust converter to deal with light surface rust...Will get the wire brush and drill out tomorrow and remove "all" rust...prime and paint...finish with 'stone-guard"...also need to either repair factory boot mat or organize replacement...

Also...boot struts are "no good" hence timber strut,..hope monroe have a correct replacement...I ve also manged to loose the boot key (how stupid is that,....key survives for 30 odd years..three months with me and is lost)...I managed to open it with another key (another bosnian talent ) but I think I ll be removing lock and either replacing (nice products do one???) or having key cut...Is the lock shared with any other pugs..505? 504?...

so, at the end of the night..i didnt get much done...so much more work waiting...

dino
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tidying up the 604-ky-seats.jpg   Tidying up the 604-soft-indeed.jpg   Tidying up the 604-problem-area.jpg   Tidying up the 604-power-cable-.jpg   Tidying up the 604-power-wire-boot-strut.jpg   Tidying up the 604-amp-kit.jpg  

Tidying up the 604-boot-surface-rust.jpg   Tidying up the 604-factroy-packed.jpg   Tidying up the 604-good-enough-eat.jpg   Tidying up the 604-my-babies.jpg   Tidying up the 604-nice-clean.jpg  
    Last edited by dino; 5th May 2011 at 01:17 AM.
    dishaka likes this.

also when you put that console back in make sure you get that big earth wire and where it nmounts a damn good clean so it has good contact

you will find things will not only be brighter, work quicker but you will not have any misshaps as when it isn't right you will want to open the roof and you will press the roof button and you will find the rear wondow goes down instead

that earth is very important

604 wiring can be 'fun' to work with
    Will do...

yes..i noticed the wiring mess under cente console...GROUND LOOPS anyone???

Its an interesting arrangement...I think what I shall do is use some battery cable and earth to central fixing point...near the gear lever...But I totally agree about good earth...I reckon half the bloody electrical problems in old cars are due to poor earthing...especially when it comes to lights...
    I m going to give this car real TLC...its been without any for more than a decade...so all these little issues will be taken care of...which reminds me...i ve got get the instrument cluster out...fresh globes all round...this is the time to do it...

dino

Ok...so last night I spent running some wiring and cleaning floor (prep for glue)...I ditched the speaker wire in the kit for some 'home' stuff I had left over from a previous install...its thick...

I started on the underlay...

and got most of it done tonight:

I spent a tonne of time trimming...eg. rear tunnel is covered in 5 sections...Used lots of glue and am ready for second layer...

last night I left early and took the gti for a run...we just finished working on it and serviced it...my brother asked me to take some pics for the add (he s seling it)...

Gottta do the glass...

anyway...tonight was back to finishing underlay...love this stuff:

Its also the reason why I couldnt find the bloody wheel bolts for david...we turned the place upside down looking for them...i know I ve got them..but where did I put them....I freaking hate old age...

Anyway....back to the goodies...

This is the deck...

and this the stacker (yeah i know...but what the hell...)

I ll be running MP3 via aux in from back of unit...

This is the external dac...gotta see how I can tie it into system...more than likely will run via stacker...

This is the "plastic seat guide" that i need...times two (x2)

dino
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tidying up the 604-carpet-underlay1.jpg   Tidying up the 604-clarion-source.jpg   Tidying up the 604-cluster-out.jpg   Tidying up the 604-external-dac.jpg   Tidying up the 604-front-underlay.jpg   Tidying up the 604-golfski.jpg  

Tidying up the 604-goooooodddd-stufffffffffff.jpg   Tidying up the 604-gti-done.jpg   Tidying up the 604-rear-underlay.jpg   Tidying up the 604-seat-guide-.jpg   Tidying up the 604-stacker.jpg   Tidying up the 604-tunnel-underlay.jpg  

Tidying up the 604-speaker-wire.jpg  

I left for the factory early tonight...'twas a nice night...

the moment I arrived I vacumed the carpet and then gave it a good wash...

I also took off rear light assemblies off and the backing plate behind the number plate...i can not believe the stupidity of fitting a trailer connector right next to the plates...perfectly fine panel destroyed by a moron...Also noticed that rear right light didnt have its "seal" fitted...how stupid...that is just inviting water invasion and hence rust...I ll have to make a silicone one...

anyway...

I also spent about three hours scraping any excess surface rust...I already gave it the (acid) rust converter treatment...so tonight I got the drill out and wire atatchemnt and went over the entire boot...managed to find a couple very minor holes...will repair in next day or so...
    In the meantime i applied a good coating of the K&H rust converter and primer..I really like this stuff..it does exactly what it promises to do...I usually leave it on for an hour or so...then spray some water over it to "reactivate it"...i then rebrush..respray and so on...usually take a couple of hours to do...

I also managed to measure up and cut the replacement fuel tank cover...this will also serve to support the amps...Have yet to work out what to cover it with...do i stick with black (original) or do i use the brown that I will use on the door trim inserts...vinly...but the boot linig is black rubber???
    Dont know..I ll see..maybe best to keep it simple and black even thought it clearly doesnt match rest of car interior...plastic that covers rear lights (inside boot) is also black...go figure..french are normally good with colours

Now you know...

dino
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tidying up the 604-day-4-carpet-cleaning.jpg   Tidying up the 604-day-4-carpet-wash.jpg   Tidying up the 604-day-four-lights-trim-off.jpg   Tidying up the 604-day-four-rust-treatment-2.jpg   Tidying up the 604-day-four-rust-treatment.jpg   Tidying up the 604-day-four-fuelt-tank-cover.jpg  

Tidying up the 604-now-you-know.jpg  
    Last edited by dino; 8th May 2011 at 02:10 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

what year is your 604 ?
    I see brown centre console and brown four spoke steering wheel which I thought was later models, but nice chrome wing mirrors of earlier models

mine is 1976 which means black three spoke steering wheel, black dash and console, and the top half of the doors is also black

Quote Originally Posted by dieselnutjob View Post
    what year is your 604 ?
    I see brown centre console and brown four spoke steering wheel which I thought was later models, but nice chrome wing mirrors of earlier models

mine is 1976 which means black three spoke steering wheel, black dash and console, and the top half of the doors is also black
    all 604's out here had 4 spoke wheels and chrome mirrors

we had two series out here

series 1 had a round fuel cap, different rear c pillar internal trims and interior light arrangement

series 2 had a rectangle fuel cap and the other two variations

BTW the two different fuel caps also meant the fuel tanks were also different

also some series 2 cars had taller diffs in them

they were only officially sold here for 4 years, my parents and business partner at the time got the last 2 cars from renault australia in liverpool

i know where the one is that my mother had and the other one was the one that 505604 not long sold that had a deisel conversion which reminds me, i must check vin numbers to see which is the later car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by dieselnutjob View Post
    what year is your 604 ?

all 604's out here had 4 spoke wheels and chrome mirrors

we had two series out here

series 1 had a round fuel cap, different rear c pillar internal trims and interior light arrangement

series 2 had a rectangle fuel cap and the other two variations

BTW the two different fuel caps also meant the fuel tanks were also different

also some series 2 cars had taller diffs in them

they were only officially sold here for 4 years, my parents and business partner at the time got the last 2 cars from renault australia in liverpool

i know where the one is that my mother had and the other one was the one that 505604 not long sold that had a deisel conversion which reminds me, i must check vin numbers to see which is the later car

my 604 is a 78... some say it is the same year that 70s uber coolness reached its peak...

getting back to my tidy up...

Last night I forgot my camera (I used my brothers but havent transferred the pics yet)...
    But anyway...I finished the boot floor....its now covered in "motorspray" version of K&H stone and chip guard...it is the most foul smelling product on the market...really really nasty stuff...on the positive most of my nose hair was burned by the stuff so no need for a trim this week...

I also spent a bit of time (well not much really) planning the mounting of the amps...drilling required holes and sanding...also ran stacker cable...and did more cable tieing...

Tonight i am kinda over the hill with the sound install...its starting to come together...nothing over the top...nothing terribly expensive...as this isnt a competition car...I just want as good a sound as possible on a budget...without the doof-doof...

So..I went with black vinly for the amp board...I ll also do the sides of the boot with same (but much thinner mdf)...

more glue (yeahhh baby )... and some dynamat from work...plus some more cable...

I got onto glueing the vinly onto the prepped board...normally Id use a staple gun to hold vinly in place..but I lent it out and it hasnt come home yet...bugger...so I opted for clamping...bit more fiddly but just as effective...

Once the glue had set...i mounted the amps...stainless steel with washers...these arent going anywhere...

I like it...its simple...

and tidy...

quick in car test...

I ll be doing the sides and boot floor tomorrow..which should just about finsh rear end of town (must get new key and struts bugger)

I also picked up the new speakers for the fornt end..I went with a split pair from Crescendo...the opus series (not their best stuff but I needed the smaller size so decision was partially predetermined by oem speaker holder)...

I cut up strips of dynamat and treated speaker enclosure and doors (pics of that tomorrow)...

...did a test fit of speaker and its tight but otherwise just makes it...

I used factory studs...just bent them out a mil or two using a spanner...and the driver mounted perfectly...almost...I used some rubber hose to cut up some rubber spacers so that the rubber speaker surround didnt get flattened by the original metal base...but because of this, i now had a small gap all around the speaker...I filled this in with "appropriately" trimmed packing foam...I aslo used the same foam (scalloped" by yours truly) as a backing diffuser...aftermarket sound diffusers are terribly expensive (as an example both dna, arepro and even cresendo are close to $50 ofr a pair of panels that are no more than 15cm X 15cm...stuff that)

I reckon my unit with dynamat behind is as good as any...

anyway...more tomorrow...might even get to do a test run...

dino
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tidying up the 604-day-6-black-vinyl-boot.jpg   Tidying up the 604-day-6-amps-bolted.jpg   Tidying up the 604-day-6-amps-done.jpg   Tidying up the 604-day-6-cresendo.jpg   Tidying up the 604-day-6-car-test.jpg   Tidying up the 604-day-6-daynamat-speaker-area.jpg  

Tidying up the 604-day-6-rear-panel-amps.jpg   Tidying up the 604-day-6-scalloped-foam.jpg   Tidying up the 604-day-6-speaker-mount.jpg  
    Last edited by dino; 10th May 2011 at 01:42 AM.

Nice work! I'll have to check it out next time i'm in Smellbourne!

As for the Dynamat - been toying with the idea of it in the 406, along with removing the subs and going for a cleaner set of 6x9's running off my awesome old school monoblock Alpine amp! There are other products out there, which are bitumen based which offer the same product - but for less price, it's just that every cool kid these days wants the bragging rights to tell their mates that they lined their car with it!

I reckon a 604 would be ok for a decent sound system - well built, therefore, won't rattle
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread Information