XU9j engine
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: XU9j engine

Default XU9j engine

I understand these have been used in early Mi16 cars as well as the 205GTI. Apart from the 16valve head, and perhaps pistons, are they identical? Or at least is the block identical?

Advertisement
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

They are identical in terms of dimensions but have different features which makes interchangability difficult. eg engine mount, dipstick hole etc.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

So is the block the same casting or not?

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

No, different casting, but things like tunnels, oil galleries, sensor locations etc. are the same. So you can make an 8V out of a 16V block, but not vice versa.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Hmm. Bummer. I was thinking of getting a Mi16 head and whack that on top of my engine. I understand crank, pistons, conrods etc are the same.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Hmm. Bummer. I was thinking of getting a Mi16 head and whack that on top of my engine. I understand crank, pistons, conrods etc are the same.
    Pistons aren't the same. Why not just buy an Mi16, they cost virtually nothing nowadays, and pull the engine out of that?
    You would need a shortened inlet manifold and a wedge for the exhaust manifold.

Have you organised the shipping company yet?
    I can pack things up when I know when they are coming and what they require.
    Graham

Thank you Graham.

Dang pistons.

I am only trying to assess the possibilities yet.

I wouldn't like to use the heavier, later Mi16 engine, and earlier versions are high mileage so a rebuild would be in order. If that was the case, then I might as well try to rebuild on the block I hope to get from you.

That's the idea behind my questions right now.

If that is not reasonably possible (i.e. requires modifications I would object to like cutting the car's body, or who knows what else), then I will just forget about it and stay with the 8V head.

What is a wedge manifold?

Re transport, you have pm.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 4th May 2011 at 12:52 PM.

Thread Information