4 years and 80,000k in 205gti, a few thoughts
  • Register
  • Help

Default 4 years and 80,000k in 205gti, a few thoughts

1. SITTING IN CARS - the first thing you do with cars really. well okay, apart maybe from lying down on your way home from the maternity hospital. then at some point you start sitting in the driverís seat and waggling the wheel. like at motor shows. and in time itís just part of ordinary life, or the focus of all sorts of adventures and lunacies. what strikes me, even after 4 years in the 205, is that just to park my bum in it is special. I still like how the car looks outside, and how it feels inside. I prefer small cars, though Iíve lived with big ones and have fond memories of the International truck I used to drive around Melbourne as if there were no tomorrow, but small and light is best as far as Iím concerned, and I love the unimposing ambience of the 205. I donít feel hemmed in, itís friendly, the red carpet is always cheerful, the steering wheel could be closer but otherwise itís an exceptionally good space for driving. and right now, when I need to make decisions about this carís future, such things matter.
    2. IN THE END IS THE BEGINNING. or something like that. recently on this forum Tim Cusack, never backward about coming forward, talked about 205 drivers who skimp on maintaining what are old cars (I blushed at his mention of air filters), and then whinge on aussiefrogs when they cook their engines. Well Tim, Iím whinging, and I reckon itís all your fault, if you werenít like some modern-day Cassandra (the oracle of Greek myth who insisted on telling unwelcome truths) this would never have happened!
    (alright then, chair scrapes back as he stands up, Iím Lozenge and I cooked my engine.)
    the immediate temptation is to float one of those threads so beloved by us feral 205gti owners, something like, Ďhi, Iím thinking of putting a tired 70s F1 Cosworth V8 into the 205, sound good?í
    3. 205 CRASH TEST DUMMY: my ownership of the 205 is characterized by my mechanical incompetence (oil and plug changes and anxiously checking things is about it) and by the pleasure, and care, I take in driving it, whether using it as a ute to collect firewood or doing my pallid imitation of Greg Murphy (no left foot braking or clutchless changes but) on the backroad to Bendigo, which has it own minireplica of Mt Panorama - Skyline, Dipper, Forrest's Elbow and all.
    once, scrabbling in the earth of our driveway to adjust the clutch cable and getting very peed off, haul myself upright and decide to move the car back to a more hospitable spot, fling into the car along with a cubic metre of dust, start up and reverse crash bang into my wifeís car not far behind where, amazingly enough, it usually sits. Helen promptly appeared and I commiserated over the pile of paint chips and shattered plastic from her wounded Mazda as I slyly checked out the unsullied rear of the 205.
    3. IS THE 205 AS GOOD AS MY OLD DATSUN 1600? 20 years ago, shocked by becoming a grandfather at 44 and so anxious to prolong adolescence, I bought a newly rebuilt Datsun 1600. along with buying a new silver metalflake 250 Ducati Desmo as my first motorbike this proved to be one of the wisest things Iíve ever done in the realm of mechanical things. the much but sensibly modded Datsun was just such fun to drive, and clocked up over 250,000 reliable ks in 10 years. and became inevitably the standard by which I judge the 205, not objectively Ė the 205 is, as it should be, a better, quicker car Ė but in the subjective experience of use and ownership. on that level theyíre both terrific, so much so that when, as I have done recently, consider buying another car (and weíre talking low budget here, no chance of a Lotus Elise) I have no desire to buy anything else. the Datsun had the advantage of being able to be worked on by just about anyone, but the days of mildly modified 1600s have gone, itís all turboed Nissan donks and 200kw, so Iím obliged to think seriously about how I keep the 205 going for another 100,000k.
    my love affair with this S1 (with S3 engine) was made possible by Andrew, who put the car together, and whose generosity and integrity have helped kept it together; and facilitated by the sense and
    non-sense of all who sail on the good ship aussiefrogs. thank you. Lo.

Advertisement

A great read, lozenge.

I cant help feel a person called lozenge should be driving a renault, though.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    A great read, lozenge.

Jo

agreed...IMO, one of the finest posts in a long bloody time...

dino

much thanks you guys, yep Jo, I like Renaults a lot, Helen had a very tired
    R12 which just kept going and going, and in 96 we drove an early very basic R5
    from England to Greece and back and all over and loved that little beasty.
    and I have fond memories of a 16TS a Canberra friend used to have.
    and lust after early Clio Sports...

Fellow Frogger!

I'd recant, but I guess it's too late. I'll just have to apologise. Great post - very refreshing after the usual cant and sophistry on here. Rebuild the 205 and keep posting.

Tim

thanks Tim. it'd be downright ungrateful not to keep the car going.

i saw a 205 in castlemaine on sunday near restorers barn, is that the car we are talking about? if it is, i picked the gearbox off you a few months back.

i currently have a 205 gti sitting in the driveway with a blown head gasketand in need of tlc. it took very little consideration on what to do, fix the motor and enjoy the drive.

i sold a mechanically good gti last year and have missed it ever since. your car is too good to let it go, plus you will most likley say i wish i had of down the track.

even though sometimes they rattle and cough, they are still the most exciting car i have ever driven for the money. i have owned 3 datsun 1600's and even the 2ltr one with twin 40's once no comparison to the gti.

ask yourself, what would you replace it with?

thanks dejavu, you did indeed climb our bumpy drive
    for the gearbox from Andrew, and yes, I have slapped
    myself around and spoken very sternly to this idle self,
    "what the beep else is there??"
    ps hope to see your current project someday.

i will call in again one day. im driving a white si at the moment.
    have you seen the mettalic blue 405 sitting at action autos in castlemaine?
    its been there for a while you might get whole car cheap? not sure on condition

if its manual i would be interested in gearbox maybe we could strike a deal?
    Last edited by djvu205; 3rd May 2011 at 08:02 PM.

no, ain't seen the 405. I'll have a look on thursday.

Great post
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by lozenge View Post
    thanks Tim. it'd be downright ungrateful not to keep the car going.
    Always consider yourself as a caretaker rather than owner, so that it may be passed on to many in future to enjoy.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

thanks Sam and Peter, it's a good wee car and I'll not be trashing it,
    ta, Lo.

Tadpole

love the post!

I cant help feel a person called lozenge should be driving a renault, though.
    I had assumed that lozenge referred to the SFC 750, classy ol bike that one.

Mate of a mate had a modern Laverda, engine blew under warranty, then someone stole it and only got 2 blocks before it blew again - lol

Ďhi, Iím thinking of putting a tired 70s F1 Cosworth V8 into the 205, sound good?í
    you rock, go for it i say

Although it would be better if you welded 2 hayabusa engines together.

Thread Information