E10 petrol debate
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default E10 petrol debate

I did a quick search on the forum and read the pro's and cons of E10 in pugs Now the price of 98 is at least 15 cents more that $1.46 I Tried a tankful in the 99 306GTI6. A tank in the 97 model produced plenty of pinging and 'orrible fuel consumption. But in the new car on a Canberra motorway trip, power was just as good as 98 9 seat of the pants ) and consumption on a par. Maybe the 99 motor handles it better?

Advertisement

David

the reason most people dont use it is when they have a car such as mi16 gti16 gti180 because they all have a high compression ratio and when you put a low octane fuel in it can pre detonate due to the CR, so the higher octane fuel is fairly important in such an engine

E10 makes my XU10 run like a total dog - pings and super mega down on power.

Stick to 98.
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

E10 91 seems to be 94 octane according to the forum which is only one off the 95 minimum recommended. Maybe I got a mix with a refilled tank at 80% empty and the previous tank was 98.
    Might do the experiment twice. No sign of problems yet.

AS I say mine is running fine on a tank with 80% E10.. I'll go for a 100% tank next weekend and let you know.

I liked the united "plus ulp" juice. I found my series 1 mi16 had better fuel consumption with 95 Ron e10 "plus ulp"

205 mi16 series 1 motor not as marked a difference.

Your old car didn't like it much before the rebuild and haven't tried it since then.

Might be time for a test but I am not holding my breath.... Compression I hope would be up a bit but who knows what cams do to it?

P.s. Nice photo huh?

My series one mi16 runs absolutely perfect on the "united" petrol station's ethanol!
    Heaps of power and about 750 kms to tank! Which is on par with the economy that 98 gives me and saves about 15 cents a liter! I've been using it since i got my license in three different mi16's and a fuego!
    I honestly dont know why anyone wouldn't use it or could fault it!

Cheers Chris
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

1000+ Posts

Icon5 E10 in a Fuego - interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    My series one mi16 runs absolutely perfect on the "united" petrol station's ethanol!
    Heaps of power and about 750 kms to tank! Which is on par with the economy that 98 gives me and saves about 15 cents a liter! I've been using it since i got my license in three different mi16's and a fuego!
    I honestly dont know why anyone wouldn't use it or could fault it!

Cheers Chris
    Interesting you used it in the Fuego, I have not been confident enough after Australdi's Fuego was stranded with a fuel line that "melted away" due to the reaction of the ethanol in the fuel mix she was using. Otherwise according to her account, the Fuego ran very well on the ethanol mix, until the line melted!. This was before the E10 standard mix came in, so I am not sure how much ethanol was in the mix - the rubber fuel line was just a mess of sticky soft black crud.

It was probably a replacement of the original fuel line and certainly not compatible with ethanol.

Since then Australdi has always used 98 RON ethanol free fuel. But in Tasmania where they just have normal high all the time petrol prices 98 RON is only available at certain outlets and [email protected]@dy expensive

Using cheaper blends could save her lots of cents!!

Ken

Default OK.... 95 or 98?

I have generally used 95 ron unleaded and steered away from E10 regardless....

The difference in price between 92 and 95 is as has been said up to (or more than) 15c/ltr.... but I have seen 98 only 3 to 5 c/ltr difference with 95 RON but not bothered...

Should I bite the bullet in my series 1 Mi16 and use 98.... I'd be more tempted in the N5 306.....

But E10 still worries me I have to say. With 300,000+ on the 405 and 137,000 on the 306 I really can't afford to do anything that will accelerate engine wear or cause the odd part failure......

But on the other hand 15c/ltr saving every tank pays for 'some bits' replaced more often. And I DON'T include a top end rebuild in 'some parts'. But I defer to others who might know more than I. (hint hint)
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

Fellow Frogger!

I have a 98 XSI and according to the BP E10 sheet it is the only Pug engine that they expressly advise against using it . Does anyone know why this is so and does Peugeot have any stipulation to this effect ? The car runs fine on standard unleaded and does not perform appreciably better on higher octane or give better fuel consumption.I have used E10 in other vehicles and have been more than happy with it and would prefer to use it in the Pug. Any knowledge on the subject would be appreciated.
    Regards Dennis.
    On further research most sites state that the XU engines are the only post 97 Pugs that should not use E10. WHY!!!
    Last edited by dalderton; 3rd May 2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: More info

Well my fuego didn't really get a chance to do anything stupid Ken! Are you sure it was the ethanol that melted the fuel line because we really doubt it!

As for the mi16 I got my first one off my mother at 463,000 kms she bought it at 250,000ish and she always used united ethanol (plus ULP) in it!It always ran fine.
    It was sadly written off (by some idiot turning infront of it) At 510,000 km and used United ethanol till then! Thats over 250,000 trouble free kms!!! And it still clocked some good times at DECA! 250,000 kms is more the life expectancy of a moden car! Does it really wear out engine components faster? I haven't noticed!

My uncle has a citroen BX 16 valve, a virage wagon, A xantia and a few 750's which all use ethanol never having a problem! The BX has done more than 650,000 kms and the only mechanical issue it had is the cam belt breaking!

All my family use it and never have fuel related issues! I've even convinced my girlfriend to use it in her 2001 holden Astra which also still runs fine and uses less fuel!

My grandpa took his standard 750 up to woop woop (wellington NSW) last weekend. He had to stop in a little town for fuel which didnt sell ethanol so he put normal fuel in it. He instantly noticed a drop in power the engine was pinging and there was a horrific odour. his next tank of fuel was ethanol and his 750 became its former self! This is a 50 year old car that loves ethanol and never has a problem! This 50 year old car still has its original fuel lines!

One of our customers was recomended using ethanol in her renault scenic. She claims it felt like it had just been serviced after her first use. This car has been using it ever since and had done over 300,000 kms and never had a problem at all! She's been using it since about 100,000 kms on it!

Is this enough proof or shall I continue?

To us (all us Cavanaghs) we all wonder why people wont use ethanol, its cheaper, cars run better and its better for the environment. Isn't it a no brainer? All of these are true and real no bending of the truth. I honestly dont understand the fear people have for it, is it simply because its different so if someone's car has a faut the instantly blame the fuel?

Cheers Chris
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Quote Originally Posted by dalderton View Post
    I have a 98 XSI and according to the BP E10 sheet it is the only Pug engine that they expressly advise against using it . Does anyone know why this is so and does Peugeot have any stipulation to this effect ? The car runs fine on standard unleaded and does not perform appreciably better on higher octane or give better fuel consumption.I have used E10 in other vehicles and have been more than happy with it and would prefer to use it in the Pug. Any knowledge on the subject would be appreciated.
    Regards Dennis.
    It has the same engine as the 406, Citroen Xantia and 306 XT's (N5) so don't worry.
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Fellow Frogger!

I only run Ethanol blend in the S16. Runs really well, even on E91. Ethanol ups the octane not lowers it as suggested above.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks to all ,I am into it. Bio in the Hiace and E10 in the XSI.
    Regards Dennis.

This thread is rather funny, considering it is based on people stating "it just feels better" as opposed to any calculations or any hard facts.

Have a read here:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-damage-engine
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    It has the same engine as the 406, Citroen Xantia and 306 XT's (N5) so don't worry.
    Is it really a 1998 build? It may have the 2L 8v engine (if it was a 1997 build).
    See the timeline: 306 Timeline FAQ

Fellow Frogger!

It does not feel any better in my opinion, what i know for sure is that, and these are facts :

I have, when available at the pump, and I do my best to find these pumps, always put ethanol blend in my:

Ford transit, Peugeot 306, Honda fireblade and Honda cb900, not to mention other vehicles I owned in the past, and all of them run just as well as they do on normal fuel. Never had any issues with any of them at all.

More facts - cheaper, and how about, the begining of an alternative, to a product that seems to be running out, crude oil.

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    This thread is rather funny, considering it is based on people stating "it just feels better" as opposed to any calculations or any hard facts.

Have a read here:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-damage-engine
    Well my numbers are :-

Series 1 mi16 - 5 % more mileage

205mi16 - 1-2% more mileage

Gti6 - pinged so test discontinued

Back when I had the mi16 and was poor I used to test by buying $20 of various fuels.
    I always had only small mileage changes between brands and also between 95 and 98.

Then 'plus ulp' turned up and I found a significant change!

However to make myself sound like emotion is getting in the road, 'plus ulp' always felt more responsive on the throttle

Bill

UFO

It's fortunate no engine is pinking and only pinging.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Back when I was poor I would use E10 with occasional refills at 98 when I got some extra cash.

Except for a few occasions I never felt any difference. A couple of times the car felt more responsive with the 98 but then when I tried E10 again it felt more responsive with that fuel. Consumption was the same.

Now that I'm rich (ahem?) I've been using the 98 as standard having read an article that E10 wasn't recommended. A search on the internet however produces so many fors and againsts that it's impossible for an ignoramus like me to know.

However the following sentence from wikipedia may have produced a chnage in attitude.....

Ethanol fuel may also be utilized as a rocket fuel . As of 2010, small quantities of ethanol are used in lightweight rocket-racing 'craft.
    [update]
    Zoom ?

Superb photo LOL. How is the old dugger going these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Karoshi View Post

However to make myself sound like emotion is getting in the road, 'plus ulp' always felt more responsive on the throttle

Bill
    Where is the LIKE button on this forum?
    Dave

The old girl is doing great!
    I have changed tack with her a bit and she is being slowly 'improved'
    So far:
    Head rebuild as you knew
    Honed and reringed bores
    New exhaust 2.5" installed
    Cams from PeterT installed
    Quaife differential installed
    Plug and play ecu booked for the 14th
    Started checking out bits for suspension rebuild as there are a few knocks up the front there.
    Hat in the ring for a group buy of 'hybrid' rear anti sway bar,apparently the beez beez... The rest to be either full standard with updated droplinks or very slight drop so I can use eibach and or koni??? Still up in the air.
    Ordered lightened flywheel and alloy pulley kit for sometime in the future.

As you can see, I love the car enough to invest a bit on it...

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa View Post
    Is it really a 1998 build? It may have the 2L 8v engine (if it was a 1997 build).
    See the timeline: 306 Timeline FAQ
    98 XSI 16v 2litre motor.
    Regards Dennis

Default 405 8v

so... in view of the above thread, any issues in running E10 in a 95 405 SRi?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information