Engine light of Doom!
  • Register
  • Help
    PDJ

Default Engine light of Doom!

I took my S3 205 Gti out for a quick blast today.
    Just as I got back thinking "why don't I take me Pug out more often?" the engine light of discontent flicked on. So, I pulled up, jumped out and popped open the bonnet. Yep, the engine was still there so all good then. I was about to get the black tape out to put over the light when I noticed it was running like a 1960's American V8. Lumpier than a bag of lumpy things.
    I backed into the garage so I was in a good place to start investigation. I nearly didn't make it out! As well as being very lumpy at idle it is also pumping out copious amounts of black smoke. Black like a dirty diesel at full throttle. It smelled unbelievably rich. I can still see colours never seen before! I know I'm losing water as well somewhere i.e. an expansion tank every couple of drives. Hoping that is from a hole in a hose though.

So, to sum up, Engine light on, lumpy tick over, rich smelling black smoke when idling, loosing water.

The engine was rebuilt by the PO a couple of years ago. Any ideas on where to start or what the problemo might be would be appreciated.
    If its terminal I might be starting a which engine swap thread.

Advertisement

compression test should tells you lots

PDJ

Probably a good starting point. I'll go to Supercrap and pick one up tomorrow.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by PDJ View Post
    I took my S3 205 Gti out for a quick blast today.
    Just as I got back thinking "why don't I take me Pug out more often?" the engine light of discontent flicked on. So, I pulled up, jumped out and popped open the bonnet. Yep, the engine was still there so all good then. I was about to get the black tape out to put over the light when I noticed it was running like a 1960's American V8. Lumpier than a bag of lumpy things.
    I backed into the garage so I was in a good place to start investigation. I nearly didn't make it out! As well as being very lumpy at idle it is also pumping out copious amounts of black smoke. Black like a dirty diesel at full throttle. It smelled unbelievably rich. I can still see colours never seen before! I know I'm losing water as well somewhere i.e. an expansion tank every couple of drives. Hoping that is from a hole in a hose though.

So, to sum up, Engine light on, lumpy tick over, rich smelling black smoke when idling, loosing water.

The engine was rebuilt by the PO a couple of years ago. Any ideas on where to start or what the problemo might be would be appreciated.
    If its terminal I might be starting a which engine swap thread.
    Check to see if the air flow meter electrical connection plug has fallen out.
    This would cause running rich, don't know about the water loss though.
    Graham

Default 205 diesel?

Separate the the connector plug 1st along from the oxygen sensor the is screwed into the exhaust and check if it is clean inside, these accumulate water and "gunk". Yes you will have to jack up and get under the car to find the connector (sorry). If it is clean go to another plan.

Good luck
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

If the K-Light is coming on - it will be throwing a fault code. Check diagnostics first, before pulling stuff apart!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

I agree with BIGRR. If the O2 sensor is broken, or has a bad connection due to corrosion in the plug etc., the car will not run very well at all. For some reason S3 GTi's rely heavily on the sensor.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    I agree with BIGRR. If the O2 sensor is broken, or has a bad connection due to corrosion in the plug etc., the car will not run very well at all. For some reason S3 GTi's rely heavily on the sensor.
    So do the Sis, they run much better with a new O2 sensor.
    I still reckon check the AFM plug first, as the engine will run very rich if it is unplugged.
    Graham
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 30th April 2011 at 10:51 AM.

PDJ

A few things for me to try there guys.
    Thanks for your help, I'll get crackin this arvo.

water loss is still a concern and more than likely a separate issue. If it's a hose or something a thorough visual inspection of the engine bay will find some green blood. If not the coolant may be getting into the combustion chamber through a nasty crack or a blown gasket. have you noticed puffs of white smoke/steam out the exhaust particularly on start-up?

Thread Information