Yellow driving lights for a 205
  • Register
  • Help

Default Yellow driving lights for a 205

Hi,

I would like to give the "french" look to my gti by installing yellow driving lights. My question is, are they legal in Australia?

Cheers

Chile

Advertisement

As far as i know, if they are yellow they are un-disputably fog lights.
    Driving lights are a different thing and are clear or display a white light.

My fuego has fog lights which are yellow.
    They were OE and certainly not illegal on my car.
    Of course displaying them when the weather is not inclement is a fineable offence, but thats about as illegal as it gets.

I have yellows on my fuego and would like clears.
    If they are the same size, happy to do a straight swap.

Jo

Yup, for sure they are legal and as above must only be used in poor visibility conditions ie fog, misty rain.
    I think you will get a lot of use from them down south.
    Cheers
    Steve

Hi Jo,

Do your fog lights switch on with the high beams in your fuego (thatīs the case with the 205), or do you have a separate swith for them? I think you wouldnīt like my clears as the rust worm has been working on them (thatīs why iīm looking for new ones).

Cheers,

Roberto

The 205 doesnt have foglights (well except for the rear one) the front are driving lights

Hence they only come on with full beam and there is no switch for them.

Default Fog Lights

The fog lights should come on (via a separate switch) with the low beam headlights only. I am also looking for a yellow pair. There is a guy at Dural selling 205 stuff on ebay and he has one only.....bummer

As for the switch, I have bought a second fog light switch (same as rear red light) and mounted it in the same switch plate. Installed new cables and relay so it operates accordingly with a new harness running behind each fog / driving light.

Simple to swap with connectors for whenever you need them.

I'll get another picture of the switch panel up tonight

Last edited by PugMonkey; 28th April 2011 at 08:23 AM.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Ok,

So, basically if i want to have yellow lights iīll need a separate switch, since yellow lights are classified by the authorities as fog lights and not driving lights. I am right?

Fellow Frogger!

I depends on the beam pattern. Front fog lights have a cut off just like dipped beam. If you drive up to a wall and turn on front fog lamps only the bottom half of the wall lights up.
    In fact they should dassle no more than a dipped beam, and I don't understand why people get so odd about them only being used in fog (though many are badly adjusted).
    Driving lamps would light up the whole wall just like main beam and will dassle anyone coming the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by chile View Post
    Ok,

So, basically if i want to have yellow lights iīll need a separate switch, since yellow lights are classified by the authorities as fog lights and not driving lights. I am right?

Yes you will need a separate switch. Where driving lights (white) are to come on with high beam, fog lights are designed to be used with low beam so they need to be opperated only when low beam lights are on.

The switch can be any kind of switch really, but I like to follow the rest of the interior and encorperate them into the dash. Other people like to bore a hole in the middle of the dash board and mount a $1.99 supacheap auto switch - FAIL

So here's how I would do it - taking into account you know a little about electrical

Take the main positive wire that runs the low beam lights (ether from the rear of the headlight or if you can find it under the dash) Run this to the new switch. From the other side of the switch send this to a relay. After the relay then the cables go to the fog lights. Wire the earths accordingly.

Wiring it this way meens the fog lights can only be switched on when the low beam headlights are on (because thats where you have taken the main supply from). They cannot be switched on when the headlights are off.

Use good quality cable and USE FUSES for protection. If it's a bit past your knowledge level then go to a sparky. It saves heaps of heartache.

Moo
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Thread Information