new Peugeot 205 si owner :)
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: new Peugeot 205 si owner :)

Tadpole

Default new Peugeot 205 si owner :)

GOod day, just want to say hello to everyone here.

Just bought myself a 205 si a few weeks ago. I am so in love with the car and would like to learn more about it. However I cannot seem to find many good infos online as almost everyone talks about the gti or the rallye on the internet .

Could you please tell me when I can find more information and knowledge about the Si?? and I figured that the SI is not called the Si in other country so I may not be searching the right keyword .

Also, I have always had japanese cars in my life so can you recommend me a honest reliable mechanic for the pug?? I live in Sydney.

Advertisement

Thanks guy in advance.

Welcome to the forum

What do you need to know about it?

Tadpole

thanks,

emm... nothing specific really, just want to learn as much as i can. Things like:

- all the differences between the Si and Gti (eg: beside engine, rear disc brake, anything else??)

- are the suspension parts interchangeable with Gti?? (ie: if i decide to do some handling mods, is it as simple as finding GTI aftermarket part??)

- What the engine model for the Si, is it XU5Z something??

- What is the equivalent mode in europe?? (maybe that can help me with searching for more info on other forums lol)

any other good 205 forums that provide good knowledges about the Si models?? (most of them seems to be GTI specific?

thanks very much for your help.

Welcome to AF....

I'm no authority on 205Si's but a whole lot of people rave about the ride in an Si verses a GTI, so congrats on your purchase.

Chris

Default si

closest thing in euroupe would be what they call the auto. most of the other si look alikes overseas have the tu engine in them. do a search on AF for si and there is some interresting posts there.

Fellow Frogger!

This site has a bit of basic info:

http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop...cs/vincode.htm

Being a fellow si owner, I'd also be interested in knowing a few more details on what the GTI and SI have in common, and where they differ.

There used to be a good post on this before the big 're-boot' a few months ago where we lost all posts prior to 2004 or whatever.

Get a Haynes or the french "Revue Tehnique", that'll clear some issues (not a lot). Helps with orientation before undertaking some jobs though.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Talk to Graham Wallis if you need to know about the 205 Si. We knows more than Peugeot does I reckon.

Chris

Fellow Frogger!

welcome fellow frogger! u will love ur pug!

cheers Matt
    PUG 206 GTI 180
    AEGEAN BLUE
    OZ RACING ULTRALEGGERAS
    BREMBOS
    ACHILLIES 123S TRACK RUBBER
    AST SPORTLINE I
    AST SOLID TOP MOUNTS
    EMS EXHAUST
    EMS TUNED
    AP CLUTCH
    PHILLIPS HIDS
    GENUINE MORETTES
    IPOD CABLE
    DYNAMAT

107 fwkW DYNO'D 2012

Tadpole

thanks guys for the welcome and information

i am so in love with car! and would love to get it to as good condition as possible.

Can you guys please recommend me a good mechanic?? would like to get a few things checked.

I am even pondering (or dreaming) of possibly getting the engine rebuilt in the future (engine seems to be consuming oil but need more time to diagnose and not going strong after 4000rpm). who would be the best person to go to?? i wish i could do it myself but I am not very good with mechanic work.

That's no good, really. These engines rev quite happily well past 4000rpm. Yours needs a thorough checkup.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jazzle View Post
    thanks guys for the welcome and information

i am so in love with car! and would love to get it to as good condition as possible.

Can you guys please recommend me a good mechanic?? would like to get a few things checked.

I am even pondering (or dreaming) of possibly getting the engine rebuilt in the future (engine seems to be consuming oil but need more time to diagnose and not going strong after 4000rpm). who would be the best person to go to?? i wish i could do it myself but I am not very good with mechanic work.
    Wherabouts are you?
    Graham

Tadpole

Oooops i live in sydney

Fellow Frogger!

any pictures?

Tadpole

no picture sorry, but it's red and stock so nothing special there

cheers,

btw, does anyone here have the dimension of the oil dipstick, the dipstick on my car has lost the rubber and it doesn't look original. Just want to see if I can find an aftermarket replacement if i can findout the dimension.

i think i need the total length of the dipstick (up to the rubber lid), max and min marks.

sorry if it's too much to ask

no picture sorry, but it's red and stock so nothing special there

cheers,

btw, does anyone here have the dimension of the oil dipstick, the dipstick on my car has lost the rubber and it doesn't look original. Just want to see if I can find an aftermarket replacement if i can findout the dimension.

i think i need the total length of the dipstick (up to the rubber lid), max and min marks.

sorry if it's too much to ask

Get a S/H one, there's a number of people in Syd/NSW who can help.

Tadpole

what is S/H?? thanks

second hand

Why would you spend a whole lot of time looking for an aftermarket one when you can buy the correct one which seals perfectly for about $16 from Caravelle who will ship anywhere in Oz.

With the oil use - ascertain if its a leak, or burning oil as the solutions can be very different to your problem!

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to AF!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    Why would you spend a whole lot of time looking for an aftermarket one when you can buy the correct one which seals perfectly for about $16 from Caravelle who will ship anywhere in Oz.
    cool, thanks for that. will check it out and place an order

@stalled: thanks, that's exactly what i need to do now. the engine may not even be consuming oil at all, it could just be the dipstick not showing correct level <fingercrossed>

Fellow Frogger!

Default Dipstick Peugeot 205 si

I bought this dipstick from the UK for my 205 si and it is an exact replacement for the original:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....#ht_2258wt_907

Tadpole

thanks,

emm... nothing specific really, just want to learn as much as i can. Things like:

- all the differences between the Si and Gti (eg: beside engine, rear disc brake, anything else??)

- are the suspension parts interchangeable with Gti?? (ie: if i decide to do some handling mods, is it as simple as finding GTI aftermarket part??)

- What the engine model for the Si, is it XU5Z something??

- What is the equivalent mode in europe?? (maybe that can help me with searching for more info on other forums lol)

any other good 205 forums that provide good knowledges about the Si models?? (most of them seems to be GTI specific?

thanks very much for your help.
    Hello there,

Your 205 is the Ozzie equivalent for our european 205 XS. It has the 1.6L XU5M/Z with single point injection and catalysator like the latest Euro Xs (the former ones had a 85hp 1.4L TU engine with carburator - a very good engine) and a bump on the hood because the 1.6L with single point injection takes more space.

From the pictures I've seen there and then, the SI also has a Veglia backlit speedometer unit, where the XS has a Jaeger unit which is front lit. Yours is almost the same as the GTI, but with a little bit of missing information.

One of the major differences between GTI and SI is the chassis : The GTI has a front drivetrain with triangles, as the SI has a single arm McPherson type. The bumper, springs and anti roll bars will also be different.

I own a french 1.6 liter XS and use it as a country house car, and really enjoy each km driven with this light and reasonably fast little car. Hope it suits you as well!

Philippe

The Si is a monopoint 1.6 liter engine with integrated fuel/ignition control by the ECU, the GTI has more than one version of ECU, some use a dizzy for ignition, injection is multipoint.

Many things swap over and many don't.

Better than rebuild your engine, try to get one up to S3 GTI spec and use the corresponding ECU (you'll need a Motronic ECU). Upside is you can reuse for that some of your engine internals, downside is not all of them (the crank for instance can't be used as it has a smaller stroke).

You can also go totally out there and build a much better 8V engine, but it will cost and you'll need someone to spend the time to tune it for it (more money). Tuners are few and far between and most don't have the time to do things like these or you.

Hey chuck, does the European XS have the same engine code as ours (BDY) ?
    neilc likes this.

VIP Sponsor

No, it is a TU as he said.
    The original post is 3 years old, probably not worth talking to the instigator.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    The Si is a monopoint 1.6 liter engine with integrated fuel/ignition control by the ECU, the GTI has more than one version of ECU, some use a dizzy for ignition, injection is multipoint.

Many things swap over and many don't.

Better than rebuild your engine, try to get one up to S3 GTI spec and use the corresponding ECU (you'll need a Motronic ECU). Upside is you can reuse for that some of your engine internals, downside is not all of them (the crank for instance can't be used as it has a smaller stroke).

You can also go totally out there and build a much better 8V engine, but it will cost and you'll need someone to spend the time to tune it for it (more money). Tuners are few and far between and most don't have the time to do things like these or you.

Hey chuck, does the European XS have the same engine code as ours (BDY) ?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information