Adhesive for bonding rubber to metal?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Adhesive for bonding rubber to metal?

Hi

Can anyone suggest a good product for bonding rubber to metal?

I have a spoiler for my 205 GTI that needs to be glued to the car

thanks

Advertisement

I can recommend Sikaflex, It is as strong as most adhesives, is permanently flexible, paintable and available is a few colors.

Buy it at Bunnings etc in a tube suitable for a caulking gun.

P.S. Don't be tempted to use silicone as it is messy and will root your paint.

One thing to remember is urethane is bloody tough so you might want to use as little as possible in strategic places, just in case you ever need to remove it later.

You can easily make a very big mess with urethane.
    The best way I know to wipe up the ooze that comes out is to use dunny paper, which is quite an appropriate product on a number of levels.
    Just like its intended use, the trick with the dunny paper is to not load up a pice to much before throwing it away so as not to get any crap on your hands or clothe and to avoid re sticking it anywhere.
    Regardless of how much of a mess I make and how much I curse, I remind myself at the time that it is far easier to remove uncured urathane than it is to remove it later when it has gone off.

Jo

I'd strongly recommend masking off so you definitely don't get any Sikaflex where you don't want it.

And the best tip with this stuff is to keep a solution of dishwashing liquid in a takeaway container next to you. Dip your spatula in there frequently and wipe clean, then dip again before going back to do your edges.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

XTC

And don't get Sikaflex on your fingers ...

Bostic Contact Bond is supposed to be pretty good too .. sticks like you know what on a blanket - and is flexible too - not sure if it's safe for paint.

http://www.bostikfindley.com.au/brow...ed%20Adhesives

- xTc -

Quote Originally Posted by XTC View Post
    And don't get Sikaflex on your fingers ...

- xTc -
    Good point. You will shed a layer of skin before you get Sikaflex off. It's a good idea to also keep your hands wet with the dishwashing detergent solution or better still, wear gloves.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fluery View Post
    Hi

Can anyone suggest a good product for bonding rubber to metal?

I have a spoiler for my 205 GTI that needs to be glued to the car

thanks
    Pm me and i'll send you the screws :}
    Dont Sikaflex it when you have the screw avenue.
    cheers JR
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

thanks for advice guys

problem i have on the screw avenue is that the holes in the door are far larger than the holes on the spoiler, it seems the holes have been enlarged at some point. The screw size required to fit would not go though the mounting holes on the spoiler itself.

I think my only option is to use some hollow wall anchors and sikaflex or I enlarge the holes in the spoiler to enable a larger screw to go though?

cheers

if you are refering to the rear spoiler on the gti hatch im pretty sure that you need a special geniune plastic plug that goes into the body holes first then the screws that hold spoiler on screw into them. hence the larger holes in the body. i will see if i can find some but not easy to come by. i would have the screws though i think? they are very similar to the ones that hold the door pockets on. have a torx head.

hey i cannont stress how careful you have to be with this stuff. honda uses something similar that does not dry fully to seal the electronics inside the doors. if this isnt handeled carefully it can result in needing a new door because even industrial paint thinner struggles to remove it! and this is after its already removed any paint in the process.
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK
    1998 406 2.0L auto ST WHITE

[email][email protected][email]

makes sense about the plugs go into the door first and then the spoiler screws to that.

any help locating the plugs would be very appreciated

Wear gloves when dealing with Sikaflex - I managed to get a stack of it on my hands! Took around 2.5 weeks to fully come off....
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by matt_molon View Post
    hey i cannont stress how careful you have to be with this stuff. honda uses something similar that does not dry fully to seal the electronics inside the doors. if this isnt handeled carefully it can result in needing a new door because even industrial paint thinner struggles to remove it! and this is after its already removed any paint in the process.
    Its not that bad matt.
    Its way down the list of PITA things to clean off. Epoxy resin for instance is much worse with a faster cure time, more heat generation and the abilty to disolve many products.
    Like I said in an earlier post, its no drama if you just remove it when its wet.
    It's sticky and spreads well, but it is not the only thing, think of the toilet analogy.
    You dont pull your dacks up untill the paper is fully white (I hope), and the same with spare urathane on your paint.
    You dont stop cleaning until your paper or rag comes up clean each time.
    If anyone is stupid enough to leave it on their paint, well they deserve to buy a new door.

You can clay it off later if it is micron thickness.
    I did that on my windscreen rubber. Cleaned it off as well as I could when still wet, then a month of sumer days later cleaned off the remains with the clay bar.
    I guess I lost a layer of acrylic paint in the proccess. Dont know how much difference it is on 2K paint.
    Worth noting that it was black urethane on white paint. It doesn't get any more revealing than that, and it came off 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    Wear gloves when dealing with Sikaflex - I managed to get a stack of it on my hands! Took around 2.5 weeks to fully come off....
    Dont you guys have scrubbing brushes or sand??

Jo

Thread Information