406 signal- wiper cruise- cluster removal
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 406 signal- wiper cruise- cluster removal

My 406 HDI wagon signal stalk has probably a broken return spring, causing it to fall on to signal left. .
    I have found a second hand one from a 406 V6 sedan that appears to be identical. Removing the cluster is relatively easy. My concern is the fitting of the replacement and the possibility that some reprogramming of the computer may be required, which would mean a dealer may have to do the job at considerable cost.

Advertisement

Thanks to anyone who can offer a solution to this programming problem.

1000+ Posts

My [406]indicator went bung a month or so ago. I simply took it out and fixed it. I had to disconnect the wires of course, and I found the problem was in a small piece of metal that neede a bit more of a bend.
    Suffice to say I put it back in and it works. I didn't have to reprogram anything. I'd say you'll be able to unbolt and rebolt and unclip and reclip with no extra hassles.
    They use a damn fiddly tiny little torx driver by the way. I ended up buying one of those long 'T' bar drivers for about $15 from Auto1.

Is your 406 "Multiplexed" - if so, the unit from the V6 will be coded to the original car, and probably will not work with your HDI!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

1000+ Posts

If that's the case he needs to fix his original unit. It has a spring and a ball bearing and a couple of rocker plates. Mine suddenly decided not to allow the left side to remain on, but worked if you held it firmly. It was fiddly but not the hardest thing to rectify. There's a basic little plastic box that can be prised apart and snaps back together later. Don't dismantle it on the lawn.
    Is it possible that they've encoded these as individual units? That's worse than cynical. I call that bloody criminal.

Tadpole

in the old days (405 89) all you had to do was swap the part and it just worked

1000+ Posts

My 99 406 isn't 'multiplexed' . Even if it were I still can't see that a simple unit like an indicator switch would have an individual 'ID'.
    It's not as complex as say, fitting a new CD burner into your computer where you need the driver disc to make it work.
    I would be totally horrified if that other switch doesn't work when plugged in. I've swapped all sorts of bits between my 99 and 96 models with no reprogramming necessary.
    I am still having a niggling prob with my temp guage but I suspect one or more of the senders.

Try replacing that:

http://www.407owners.com/docs/com2000-pic2.jpg

But, if your stalk is an older one, it should be fine!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Fellow Frogger!

Default signal stalk.Hi chevron

Chevron Hi Do as I did ;place foam pad around stalk in housing to stop following through to left hand position. Tomfrog

Tadpole

Default 406 Signal

Thanks to all for helpfull posts.
    My car is a Nov. 2001 build, and I assume it is multplex. What are the clues to identify Multplex?
    Cheers

If its a multi plex one you cant get the indicator and the wiper switches out, with out breaking something. You will need to buy a whole new multi plex unit! which means the steering wheel needs to come off to!

All these switches are computerised back to the BSI like a 307 which pack up regulary!

Gone of the days of the good old 405!!
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Thread Information