405 Clutch cable clip replacement
  • Register
  • Help

Default 405 Clutch cable clip replacement

G'day Group
    405 clutch cable clip to clutch pedal any hints on re fitting it back on please .
    JOHN TIMBS
    405srdt
    clutch
    My 307 hdi love it

Advertisement

Hi John,

I replaced 3 or 4 of those stupid plastic clips on my series 1 405.

The easiest way to change them over is to take out the clutch pedal so that you can put the new plastic clip onto it. To do that you will see a bolt that runs through the top of the clutch and brake pedals (its part of the shaft that the pedals pivot on), undo the nut on one end and slide the bolt along until the clutch pedal drops out, the brake pedal should stay in place. Put the plastic clip with the wire attachment onto the pedal and then put the pedal back into the car and slide the bolt/shaft back through it. Be careful not to accidently knock the plastic clip off the pedal when your putting it all back into place.

You will see the very end of the clutch cable which has a metal attachment on it just sticking through the firewall close to the floor, its impossible to try and pull the cable up to attach it to the pedal. However, if you lift the pedal up towards you, (i.e. as if you were disengaging the clutch), the new plastic clip that you put on the pedal should, with a bit of guidance, attach itself onto the end of the cable at the floor level. You will hear it clip itself on.

If you have any probs, you can always disconnect the cable from the actual clutch lever under the bonnet (by removing the air filter box), and push the cable through so that it sticks through inside the cabin, however, that shouldnt be necessary. Good luck!

Tadpole

my mechanic mate and myself spent 5hours trying to do this job. in the end, we shaved the part down so that we could clip it onto the pedal when it was on the clutch. without undoing the clutch pedal bolts. i was afraid that it might unhook itself now, but that would only happen if someone disengages the clutch fork and does not keep it tight.

Default 405 Clutch Clip

Yep, I spent 5 hours one day replacing a series 2 clutch cable. In the end I also unbolted the clutch pedal and was able to move the pedal down in situ enough to get the clip in - such a painful job. Good luck with it John.

On the S1 car, just bend one of the metal tracks of the nylon clip out of the way, put the clip on the end of the cable and depress the clutch pedal after bending the metal track back into place. Crack, it's on. two minute job.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

I also tried for about 5 hours! When mine broke! It is a rotten job and i definately couldnt find a 2 minute solution! The cluth peddle has to come out! My stupid car snapped the clutch end about 3 days after snapping the plastic clip, so i had to do it twice in a week!
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Icon14

thank you Luke
    advise on unhooking cable from g.box helped also unbolted brake booster lifting it up so i could ****** well see what the ! was going on
    All good now .
    Thank you
    JOHN
    307hdi

Thread Information