Pulling out a 406 heater/203 questions
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Pulling out a 406 heater/203 questions

Anyone wrecked a 406 down to the heater? I've got the stereo out and the panel above the heater controls. I can see a couple of 8mm nuts inside in the stereo cavity, but I'm wondering if this is going to be a complete dash out job? Complete with airbag? Looks a bit daunting at this point.

Advertisement

O yeah, I want to see if I can fit the 406 heater into the 203.

I think I'll put the washer bottle from the 406 into the right battery space in the 203. Seems like a good place for it.Which begs my other question, that is, has anyone fitted a windscreen washer system to their 203? From photos it looks like the jet goes through the middle of the same panel that the wipers mount through, but that's a double skin with indentations on the underneath skin. If the hole I drill lines up with one of those it should be good but they don't feel to be dead centre? Advice most welcome.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    Anyone wrecked a 406 down to the heater? I've got the stereo out and the panel above the heater controls. I can see a couple of 8mm nuts inside in the stereo cavity, but I'm wondering if this is going to be a complete dash out job? Complete with airbag? Looks a bit daunting at this point.

I think I'll put the washer bottle from the 406 into the right battery space in the 203. Seems like a good place for it.Which begs my other question, that is, has anyone fitted a windscreen washer system to their 203? From photos it looks like the jet goes through the middle of the same panel that the wipers mount through, but that's a double skin with indentations on the underneath skin. If the hole I drill lines up with one of those it should be good but they don't feel to be dead centre? Advice most welcome.
    run an on wiper set up like the 405

much better and you have the water where you wipe instead of a pittyful squirt

the 406 heater to get all of it out will entail a dash out operation and i doubt it will fit into the 203
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

1000+ Posts

The access through that panel isn't the best. The 403 was the same and ended up with them mounted through the bonnet on the later models.

No idea about the 406 heater.

My washer bottle (from the 505) is under the passenger wing, but mounting it there on an ordinary 203 would be tricky, I'd imagine. I lost the squirtie jet thingie from my 203 and just replaced it with one from ebay. Works fine. After all, there isn't a great deal of glass to squirt at.
    But fix the little flexie tube to the the jet thingie before you fit it, and thread the backnut right up the tube. You'll need a box spanner to tighten it, also slid up the tube.
    It's nigh-on impossible to get the pipe connected otherwise.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Default 406 dash out

I removed the non exploded dash from a 406 Hdi some months ago, and it reminded me of the Xantia (pre airbag) heater core replacement job about 3 months before that. Horrible. Every bolt and plug seemed to be in a different spot than in the Xantia, although you still start by removing the console and working forward. The big difference was that the steering col. comes out attached to the dash structure, making the whole deal weigh more than you'd expect. There is more heavy metal behind the dash airbag too. So I have a good dash available if anyone needs it. But I cant be sure about the heater core. I think it was easier-looking and came out sideways. You'd hope they had achieved something practical over the few years between ?93 and ?98. JH
    Currently own '69 404, '72 504 (V6), '72 504 cpe 4cyl (unrest), '74? 504 ti x2, '76 504 auto, '76 504 ti on gas, '80 604SL '81 505(ti) ba10/5 '83 505 (ti) ba7/5 fam,
    '84 505 Sti ba7/5, '86 505 Sli ba7/4 fam (project), 405GRI auto. Too many....

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post

If you are not definitely wanting to use the 405 washer bottle try a trip to a Jap/Korean car wrecker.

Some manufactures fit a bottle under the car and use a long or flexible tube for the filler. The resovoirs also hold several litres of fluid. I used a bottle with twin pumps to feed tubes on wipers for an auto cross car. You may find a bottle the fits nuder the front and has the filer easily accessible.

1000+ Posts

Jonhardy, so having actually taken that heater out, have you some idea of the dimensions? I'm only talking about the basic unit without all the ducting as all I'm going to do is hook up the demister ducts and the rest will go into the cabin however it goes.
    It's just that I have the dead 406 there and looking into the heater area it seems reasonably compact. And I know how well it works. And I don't have to buy it.

As far as the washer goes I'm ready to drill the hole for the squirter in the centre of the panel where the wipers mount. The access isn't such a problem at the moment as I've omitted the gloveboxes till I reinvent them. The originals are so terrible in every way and don't hold small things.
    And Robmac, the washer bottle is the least of my problems and my 406 one is perfect for the job, and will easily fit down there where a battery once hung. Plus I have it so I don't have to pay more money to the wreckers. Plus it's a Peugeot.

Pugrambo, the big problem with your washer suggestion is how to run the tubes. There's no way except to drill two holes as far as I can see unless you had a 'T' join from a central hole with hoses going out each way. It's not a good solution here, being a bit messy in my opinion. I agree that those washers are cool but as Mike says, there's not much screen to squirt and the 406 squirter does very well from under the edge of the bonnet. I reckon it will easily power the double jet that I have ready to fit as long as I can get it to aim in the right spot.

If you want the dimensions check out this website.

http://www.aaronradiator.co.uk/catal...rix-134-1.html

Hope this helps.
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's.

'19 308 GTi
    '15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

1000+ Posts

XM, thanks but that only refers to the matrix. I need the overall dimensions of the basic plastic box. Roughly.
    I think Jonhardy might know.

Fellow Frogger!

Now, if you ask Pugramo nicely, he just MIGHT let you take the heater out of the 605 - this is what it looks like when you are getting near to it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pulling out a 406 heater/203 questions-605-dash-out.jpg  

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marburg505 View Post
    Now, if you ask Pugramo nicely, he just MIGHT let you take the heater out of the 605 - this is what it looks like when you are getting near to it
    That looks scary as well. I can see it's going to be one of those mystical Peugeot adventures getting a heater into Toots.
    Now who do I know who needs some unexploded airbags for their 406 HDi? Hmmm, I'll see if they're interested. Yes I can feel a voyage of discovery coming on. Is it dangerous undoing those units? Anyone?

Thread Information