Rearbeam rebuild components
  • Register
  • Help

Default Rearbeam rebuild components

Is this everything I need to rear build a rearbeam?

Outer Bearings x 2
    Inner Bearings x 2
    Crossmember Seals x 2
    Outer Seal Cups x 2
    Suspension Arm Seals x 2
    Crossmember Seals Ext x 2
    Torsion Bar Studs x 2
    Eccentric Washers x 2
    Torsion Bar Torx Bolts x 2

Advertisement

I've got a new mounting kit coming too.

Chris

Fellow Frogger!

Chris, I would have a look at the recent threads talking about bronze bushes. Graham imported some, and was investigating making them locally. If you are going to do the job, this might be a better long term solution. The needle rollers don't last long, especially if the tube is damaged.

In addition to all the above, you will need new trailing arm pivots. Peter has the part number.

Then, when you have all the parts, you will need a big press, and some jigs made to measure. Better to get somebody who does lots of them to do it for you.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tcusack View Post
    Better to get somebody who does lots of them to do it for you.

Tim
    I like the sound of that.

I don't have a big press or special jigs.

Chris

I rebuilt mine with a kit off Ebay in the UK (unnecessary, wine+Ebay, could have ordered it through the dealer ... anyway) and the BakerBM Group A kit, which took about a week to arrive (Baker also do new trailing arm shafts, from what I can see they are cheaper than new from Pug).

Didn't use a jig or any of that bizzo. I removed the old bearings (and pressed the new ones in) with a 35mm socket I had handy (old Mi16 driveshaft nut socket). Easy to get in and out.

I replaced the trailing arms and bearing shafts with ones off a 306, as I have changed over to a disc brake rear, so didn't have to press in new shafts.

Other than that it took me a few hours to take the 205 beam apart because I'd never done it before, then 20 mins to strip the 306 beam once I knew what I was doing. Putting it together isn't that hard -- I referred to the guide on 205GTi Drivers.com.

The most difficult part I found was getting new harder Group A bushes in, I had to hammer them, then use a long bolt and washers to wind them in, it took a while. Mind you, the beam was hanging off the car so I didn't do it easy.

Oh yes -- use two trolley jacks to lift the beam up to the car if you're doing it by yourself.
    Last edited by four_plus_two; 17th April 2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: trailng arm shafts

2005 Renault Clio Sport 182 Cup
    1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

Default rear beam rebuild

depending on condition i thought you could get away with 1 $50 kit each side, containing 2 x roller brgs, 1 seal, and 2x bushes? there was a thread on this somewhere i think? i need to refurb my si beam as its showing some camber let me know how you go Chris.

205 rear beams?

Fellow Frogger!

Hey mate, which part of Melb are you in.

I am close to ordering a kit to rebuild my 306's beam, maybe we can get some team work happening and help each other out. Always good to have an extra pair of hands when doing this sort of work.

I am in s.e. if interested, happy to get yours done first too.

Jeremy

Edit - I do everything myself when it comes to fixing the car, however it is the first time with this particular job, guessing you are in the same boat.

I'm in Rowville....

Maybe we should meet up and see what resources (tools, space and what not) we have between us. I'm pretty flat out so it could be difficult coordinate. Either ways, lets met up and see whats what.

Chris

Fellow Frogger!

Sounds good mate, I live in chelsea and work in clayton, usually finish work between 3 - 5pm.

Check your pm's in a bit

These are the only parts you need (x2). Everything else should be reusable.

rear beam ext. Bearing 5132 49
    rear beam int. bearing 5131 45
    rear beam outer seal 5154 08
    rear beam cups 5154 09
    rear beam outer sleeve 5154 10
    trailing arm shafts 5176 17

You'll need a press to get the shafts out of the trailing arms. Observe the old ones. They finish 3mm short.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I missed Graham's thread about the bronze bushes, and would be interested in some of those.

Rear beam is on my "to do" list and I had heard from the pommies that there were fewer needle rollers in the new bearings.

Has anyone noticed the difference recently?

Bronze bushes I have read also used to be sold on eBay but when I searched the number there was no listing.....

Edit: found Graham's thread and I'm going to order some I reckon!
    Last edited by Karoshi; 18th April 2011 at 08:39 PM.

Thread Information