Damsel in distress in Perth
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Damsel in distress in Perth

A mate of mine in the 'smoke has a 2001 206 1.6 manual that has been diagnosed with a "leaking" head gasket. It has 300k kms on the clock, the interior is fine and has some minor ding associated with parking lot tiffs.

Advertisement

It has been serviced regularly by a non-Peugeot mechanic (she lost faith in the dealers early on). The timming belt and water pump were replaced last year.

She was quoted $4000 to replace the gasket, baulked at that and took it to another mechanic. He fixed the leak (god knows how) and said, "leaking head gaskets are pretty common with these euro cars..." Anyway she continues to drive it with an overheating problem 87deg C (sounds cold to me).

She's attached to the car but what we need to know is:
    • What usually kills these cars?
    • With the head gasket replaced and the cooling system thoroughly serviced is it likely to make 500k kms?
    • Do they use stretch bolts
    • Is it a complex job - would I need a dial guage
    • What is a fair price to replace the head gasket?

Any info greatly appreciated.

All the best

P

1000+ Posts

Any have any thoughts? I really don't know these cars at all.

P

what's the normal water temp for the 206? 87 degrees doesn't sound abnormal to me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    • What usually kills these cars?
    • With the head gasket replaced and the cooling system thoroughly serviced is it likely to make 500k kms?
    • Do they use stretch bolts
    • Is it a complex job - would I need a dial guage
    • What is a fair price to replace the head gasket?
    1. No preventative maintenace kills them very quickly. Make sure this is done.
    2. Depends if any other damage was done. If the rest of the motor is decent shape and looked after I don't see why not
    3. NO !!!! New bolts please
    4. Is changing a head gasket hard? If this is your question, its not as simple as spark plugs but like anything engine related, not impossible. No you don't need a dial gauge, but you do need a torque wrench
    5. This is hard to say too. For a Euro car, I wouldn't expect change from a quality job done in a drive in off the street situation (no mates rates etc).

Hope this helps. 206s are funny littlw cars. I close friend of mine had some head gasket issues with hers and I'm convinced that was from not keeping up with servicing.

Chris

300k - it means that the market value of the car is very low. Afterall, the 206's are starting to hit "very cheap for what you get" on the used car market!

It's been documented in the UK that the 1.6 engine can be more prone to snapping cambelts and blowing headgaskets than the other TU/XU/EW series engines - for what reason, I do not know.

87 degrees is fine - Remembering that the cooling system is pressurised. If it wasn't or leaking - it would be much much higher!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

1000+ Posts

Thanks guys

It has been serviced all its life but not by the dealers.

If there are no other major items that would need doing between now and the next 200k kms then getting the head done would be a deal. If there are no known issues with beams, front struts, gear boxes, electrics which is what you seem to be saying then we might press on.

I've done a lot of mechanical work, changed a lot of head gaskets just needed to know if the engine used stretch bolts, that being the case I can get the lady to buy me a dial guage for the job!

The car is loved and seems in reasonable shape but if head gasket is only one of the issues then it will go to the place all good Peugeots go - and the bad one's too for that matter.

All the best

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    Thanks guys

It has been serviced all its life but not by the dealers.

If there are no other major items that would need doing between now and the next 200k kms then getting the head done would be a deal. If there are no known issues with beams, front struts, gear boxes, electrics which is what you seem to be saying then we might press on.

I've done a lot of mechanical work, changed a lot of head gaskets just needed to know if the engine used stretch bolts, that being the case I can get the lady to buy me a dial guage for the job!

The car is loved and seems in reasonable shape but if head gasket is only one of the issues then it will go to the place all good Peugeots go - and the bad one's too for that matter.

All the best

Peter

Peter,
    Dial gauge ? Along with a torque wrench a degree plate would be a requirement for most Peugeot engines.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

average head gasket job on most 4cyl cars ranges around $800-1000

if they can stomach that then go for it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

87° sounds super-hi-res to me -- how are you measuring it? I can't speak for the 1.6L engine, but the water temperature gauge in my old 2L GTi would settle to 90 after barely five minutes of running, and then wouldn't budge unless I really punished it, and it was a really hot day, and I was stuck in peak-hour traffic. Aircon on or off didn't seem to make any difference, either.

I think 300K's awesomely impressive durability already for a 1.6, and the car surely can't owe you anything by now. Well done!

Again, it's a 2L engine (and I stand to be corrected), but I don't think the subject of blown head gaskets ever came up in 10 years of correspondence on 206gti.net.
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Fellow Frogger!

It was quite common for 1.6L twincam engine in both the 206 and 307 to leak coolant before 40,000km. The leak would usually from the water jacket to outside the engine underneath the exhaust manifold. Most were omitted by Peugeot until the warranty ran out.

djb8v I think you mean 'YES!!!! they do use stretch bolts. New bolts please.'

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Peter,
    Dial gauge ? Along with a torque wrench a degree plate would be a requirement for most Peugeot engines.

Yes Wildie, a degree plate - that's exactly what I meant!

Thanks all.

I still think $4000 sounds a little on the rich side. I haven't bought mechanical repairs for close to 40 odd years so I'm pretty much out of the loop on what things cost in the second decade of the 21 century...

I'll have a long chat with the Lady and find out where she wants to go with this.

All the best

P

Thread Information