Intro
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Intro

Intro

Hi, I am Canadian, have 3 Peugeots: a 1966 404 Coupé Injection, a 1989 405 SRI and a 1995 pepper mill.

Ray Bell let me know about this place a while back. It's nice to see that there are plenty of Peugeot fans Down Under, despite the lunacy of the French South Pacific nuke program in the mid-1990s.

Advertisement

You are really lucky to be able to buy new Peugeots in Australia. In Canada (like the USA), Peugeot pulled out nearly 11 years ago, leaving a fair mess behind. In particular, spotty service and heartbroken diehard Peugeot-philes. At least they stuck it out longer than Renault (left 1987) and Citroën (left 1974). Now we have the choice of Japanese crap, German stuff or yank tanks. Ecch. Of the three, I'd have to choose German, though I'd prefer a new Peugeot. Gotta keep the 405 going for over 400,000 km I guess ;-)

I'd like a 406 Coupé to complement my 404 Coupé but that'll remain impossible I'm afraid. It's such a gorgeous car that I'm really bummed by its unavailability. Yes, I'll admit I'm a shallow person, a sucker for a pretty face.

Cheers, Mike
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

con
    Fellow Frogger!
    Hi Mike.

You finally made it here!

Peugeot sales in Australia dived during the years that nuclear testing was being conducted on our doorstep. Quite a lot of Australians, including myself, stopped supporting French products. Things got even nastier with the Rainbow Warrior incident in NZ. But that's all in the past.

I haven't met anyone who would disagree with you about the 406 coupe: Trouble is that they cost over $AU70,000.

Which part of Canada are you in/what's the temperature there?

cheers for now.

con....

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Aussiefrogs! Have you contacted Rabin in Saskatchewan yet?

Regards,
    Dave McBean
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Mike,

Welcome to the pond (nee deep...nee deep)

Ray posted a pic of your 404 coupe that had us all drooling looks sensational You may not be getting the later models over there but you own the pick of the early pugs. Look forward to your input and comments.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts
    Hi Mike,

Are the pepper mills worth it? (Chef and restaurants in family)

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!
    Hi Mike, I moved to Canada about 8 months ago, had to leave my 405 in storage in New Zealand. Was in the process of getting a job in Victoria at the 7 Oaks Hospital but your new Govt. down there cut the budget and I lost my job before I started ! Languishing in Saskatchewan at the moment driving a suburban, nice truck but I miss my pug.
    You know the suburban costs about the same to run as my 405 in NZ !?!?
    Ps where are the posted shots of the 404 ?

[ 24 January 2002: Message edited by: James ]</p>

Thanks for the warm welcome!

To attempt to answer the questions:
    1) It is cool here, but the grass is still green. I live on Vancouver Island on the Pacific coast, and it does not suffer from the typical Canadian winters.
    2) I have not yet contacted the Safari fellow in Saskatchewan, Dave. Did you get my scans the other day?
    3) The blue 404 Coupé in the "gem in Canada" thread is not mine - it's my friend Tim Bowles' car in Victoria BC. However mine is very similar, same year, though it's on the wrong end of a restoration right now. That will soon be corrected!
    4) We did seem to get every Peugeot made in the 1960s here in Canada, except for the D4A and J7 vans. There were lots of 404 Cabriolets and Coupés sold, especially around Vancouver, a few 403 Cabriolets (I almost bought one in 1986), 204 Coupés and Cabriolets, plus all the sedans and wagons. Things became different in the 1970s. We never got the 504 C, just the sedan and wagons. We also did not get the smaller Peugeots (104, 305, 205, etc.). In the early 1980s it was 604 and 505 only, then we got the 405 for two years before Peugeot pulled out.
    5) The pepper mills are pretty nice these days - I'd recommend getting one that was actually built by Peugeot, rather than one with only a Peugeot grinding mechanism. I hear the newest ones are very good at providing variable grinds, which sounds like a good trick!
    If I missed anything, I'll try to get back to it after work today. Cheers!

You've reminded me of 3 Peugeot's that I forgot to mention when I introduced myself a while back:

Add 2 Peugeot pepper grinders and a Peugeot salt shaker to the 504 and 505 SLi wagon!

Do they still make coffee grinders?

I wonder what a Citroen pepper grinder would be like? I reckon a hydraulically controlled, pepper density sensitive pepper grinder with directionally sensitive spotlight could be a real goer!

[ 24 January 2002: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</p>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

James,

Don't get me going on that idiot new Premier here in British Columbia. He runs in 2001 on a platform of protecting health care then announces (or rather will announce soon) that 14,000 health care workers in BC will be laid off. On top of 11,700 other government employees! Oy vey!

So what are you doing in the frozen prairies in a gas guzzling Suburban?! Sorry you lost your job opportunity, but are you working in Saskatchewan?

The 404 Coupé photos are in another thread started by Ray Bell, called "A little gem in Canada", near the bottom of this list. It's not my car, but mine's basically identical.

Peugeot makes lots of other things, such as small household electrical appliances, power tools, hand tools and such. I've always wanted to buy a Peugeot hand saw, very nice and very expensive. I saw an old guy in a Paris park playing music on a Peugeot saw in 1995 - have a photo of him/it.

Cheers

Good to see you here, Mike... I think there's nothing more appropriate than working on a Pug with Pug spanners...

But as for the food seasoning gadgets, I've never heard of them!

[quote]Originally posted by Ray Bell:
    <strong>But as for the food seasoning gadgets, I've never heard of them!</strong><hr></blockquote>

From memory the Peugeot family actually got into the machinery business making grinders, kitchen equipment and the like Ray.

Then came bicycles, then cars.

Its quite easy to buy Peugeot grinders in many "House" type shops, and major department stores, in Australia

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Thread Information