Ringing endorsement of 505 comfort...
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Near Mullumbimby, NSW
    Posts
    347

    Icon7 Ringing endorsement of 505 comfort...

    Had 5 kids and 3 adults in the wagon the other day and up pipes this 7 year old voice from the back, "I couldn't ever be more comfortable in a car!"

    Advertisement
    Goonengerry 505


  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Gundaroo (near Canberra)
    Posts
    214

    Default

    I had a mate who didn't stop talking about it for hours after he was in the car. I love em
    Lets just say we have a few pugs about!

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! 505604's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Junee, NSW
    Posts
    753

    Default

    I've sat in the 3rd row of the familiale for trips across Melbourne - Cheltenham to Tullarmarine and return - and been quite content with space and comfort.
    I think they're an amazing car. I just wish mine was more economical. I know I can't compare it to the 406, but …
    Current cars: Peugeot 307 HDi Touring; Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; Peugeot 406 HDi, Peugeot 505 Familiale
    Previous cars: 1965 Peugeot 404; 1972 Renault 16TS; 1970 Peugeo 504 1800; 1978 Peugeot 504 GL; 1976 Peugeot 504 LTI; 1984 Peugeot 505 Familiale; 1982 Peugeot 604 (converted to TD) 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet

  4. #4
    Demannu-facturing! Demannu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Menzies Creek
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    I struggle with headroom in the very back row of the familiale, but I am 6'4". I've regularly had 8 people in the car at a time though, as long as you put the smaller people at the back there's plenty of room!

    I don't complain about fuel consumption, but that's thanks to it being a diesel.
    Scotty

    Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

    1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

    1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

    1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

    1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

    1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

    2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

    2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

    1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts Beano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,149

    Default

    I believe Dieselman has made a chair out of a 505 front seat; I was tickled to see this as I was at the time thinking of doing it myself, as I had a sore back and it was bliss to get into my car.
    The passenger side one is best, as it has not been sat in so much.

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Near Mullumbimby, NSW
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 505604 View Post
    I just wish mine was more economical.
    That's my only wish too - I ponder megasquirt and a manual box but then:

    Quote Originally Posted by Demannu View Post
    I don't complain about fuel consumption, but that's thanks to it being a diesel.
    I don't complain about it any more either Scotty, because I love the car - such a brilliant design. But a familiale with a diesel would be my dream vehicle for that reason. Most of our kms are done in the SRDT now. Maybe down the track I will consider converting the GTI but actually it's so smooth and yummy...
    Goonengerry 505


  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Near Mullumbimby, NSW
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Oh and of course the wagon handles better than the SRDT too...

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! 505604's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Junee, NSW
    Posts
    753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thomevans View Post
    That's my only wish too - I ponder megasquirt and a manual box but then:
    My familiale is a manual - converted to such by the previous owner.
    I don't know enough about megasquirt, and I'm not much of a mechanic if it is a job for the home mechanic …

    Change that. I'm none of a mechanic whether or not it is a job for anyone
    Current cars: Peugeot 307 HDi Touring; Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; Peugeot 406 HDi, Peugeot 505 Familiale
    Previous cars: 1965 Peugeot 404; 1972 Renault 16TS; 1970 Peugeo 504 1800; 1978 Peugeot 504 GL; 1976 Peugeot 504 LTI; 1984 Peugeot 505 Familiale; 1982 Peugeot 604 (converted to TD) 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Near Mullumbimby, NSW
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 505604 View Post
    My familiale is a manual - converted to such by the previous owner.
    I don't know enough about megasquirt, and I'm not much of a mechanic if it is a job for the home mechanic …

    Change that. I'm none of a mechanic whether or not it is a job for anyone
    I'm not a mechanic either! That's why it's just pondering, or dreaming at this stage...
    Although I have just managed to successfully fix the climate control, so feeling pretty chuffed at the moment.
    Goonengerry 505


  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger! tomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    209

    Default things to do to a 505

    Despite the mechanicals design being 25+ years old, the comfort and ride is still one of the best, in both diesel and petrol.


    This is a little of topic but I wanted to start a list of low cost non mechanical upgrades for a 505, this seems a good thread to do it.

    (All depending on year of manufacture)

    1. Get the later/larger review mirror.

    2. Replace the 18'' wiper blades inserts with a 20" and a 22"

    3. Put a set of head rests in the back seats. You will find that the bolts for the frame are there and that the foam back seats already have the holes in them for the headrest legs. You need two frames, with nuts, two head rests with caps x 4. Just cut a small X above the holes in the top of the seat backs.

    4. Replace the H4 60/55W headlight globes with 100/90W or anything stronger than the originals . Will fill in all the dark shadowey spots and wont blind any oncoming traffic (assuming headlights are set right).

    5. Put a modern CD player in, and speakers on the back window sill.

    6. Set of new springs (Kings) for the rear suspension, but don't replace the original shocks with stiff aftermarket replacements.

    7. Non working S2 clocks can be fixed. Resolder the joints and check the globe.

    8. Noisey fans can be improved with a small hole in the back, spray in a lubricant and seal hole.


    Please add to the list.

    Tom

  11. #11
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,266

    Default

    putting in bigger globes in a 505 will result in less light output unless you fit relays

    505's didn't come with relays and it is a must if you want better lights
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x 2018 3008

    1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

    1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kendenup WA
    Posts
    124

    Default

    One of the first things done on our 19 yr. old 505 was to get a new windscreen.The old one had myriads of stone pits that resembled multi-coloured stars when driving into the sun or faced with oncoming headlights.
    And thanks Pugrambo; whilst I've uprated the light globes I wasn't aware that the headlights were not relay operated.
    Since I live in the country, definitely next on the to do list.
    Pavel

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger! James S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    345

    Default 505 Improvements

    To add to Tom's list, I have found that if the gearshift is loose, get a new selector rod. Mine was so loose that it fell off. I replaced the rod and the shift mechanism is so much tighter/better and the shift is no longer really "notchy" when cold.

    Also, if your steering feels loose, check the flector. I wrecked a 505 SLi recently and the flector was split in a couple of places resulting in lots of play in the steering.

    Other then this, I am just slowly working my way through my two 505s and replacing/fixing all of the "issues" which includes brake lines, suspension bushes, oil seals, etc. etc. Little by little the cars are getting improved.

    James

  14. #14
    mlb
    mlb is offline
    Voted Most Popular mlb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James S View Post
    To add to Tom's list, I have found that if the gearshift is loose, get a new selector rod. Mine was so loose that it fell off. I replaced the rod and the shift mechanism is so much tighter/better and the shift is no longer really "notchy" when cold.
    You can also get bushes to replace the ones in the gearstick pivots - after all this time you can bet they're all flogged out by now. Between that and James' suggestion of the new linkage, you will be surprised of the difference.

    And if you're really keen, I can show you how to make a quick shift

    Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tamworth UK
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Mine (familiale) is a V6 with slightly tricked auto. It is a full conversion with all the V6 componentry suspension and all and LSD. Cruises at around 2000rpm at 100km/hr and is more economical than the 306, maybe cos it hardly works to do anything! Even with the racecar on the trailer it's still not thirsty (unless I use the available performance!). Must get round to taking the blocks out from under the front seats one day!

  16. #16
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    177

    Default wagon economy question

    i'm over my pangs of jealousy for Kiwi's car ... have a question

    what's best for getting economy from a 505 wagon auto?

    - gas conversion
    - diesel conversion
    - put a manual box in it
    - don't bother for the cost

    ta

    Jeremy

  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger! tomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robjer View Post
    what's best for getting economy from a 505 wagon auto?

    - gas conversion
    - diesel conversion
    - put a manual box in it
    - don't bother for the cost

    ta

    Jeremy

    If you read all the threads posted re 505's the answer seesm fairly clear: MEGASQUIRT IT
    Last edited by tomb; 22nd April 2011 at 08:01 AM.

  18. #18
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Near Mullumbimby, NSW
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomb View Post
    If you read all the threads posted re 505's the answer seesm fiarly clear: MEGASQUIRT IT
    Yes, and there is quite a lot of info out there on how to go about it too. Having learned to co-exist with my auto box megasquirting the motor seems the most cost effective, logistically unchallenging way to go. Time to save up some pennies.....
    The other advantage is maintaining the car virtually original with the smoothness of the Douvrin.

  19. #19
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    177

    Default

    ok great thanks all

  20. #20
    Fellow Frogger! sideways_505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Perth W.A
    Posts
    390

    Default

    A few more must do mods.

    GTi shocks, light years ahead of anything. My car(s2 GTi), even though it's done 600'000kms has the best shock absorbers of anything I've ever seen.

    While your there, GTi suspension is AWESOME in comparison to the other stuff. GTi sway bars would be nice in the other models, mums SRDT rolls around so much it's ridiculous.

    Regass your aircon, you never know, it might even work afterwards.

    Window tint. When you do get it, you'l be wandering why you didn't earlier.

    Cut and polish, don't try if you've got metalic paint, the only way you can fix those is with a re spray.

    Remote central locking, Supercheap have a kit for it, I'm yet to buy one though. If the original central locking works, your car is truly unique.

    Make sure your jack isn't seized up.

    Thanks

    Hayden

  21. #21
    WLB
    WLB is offline
    1000+ Posts WLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Warragul, Vic.
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomb View Post
    Despite the mechanicals design being 25+ years old, the comfort and ride is still one of the best, in both diesel and petrol.


    This is a little of topic but I wanted to start a list of low cost non mechanical upgrades for a 505, this seems a good thread to do it.

    (All depending on year of manufacture)

    1. Get the later/larger review mirror.

    2. Replace the 18'' wiper blades inserts with a 20" and a 22"

    3. Put a set of head rests in the back seats. You will find that the bolts for the frame are there and that the foam back seats already have the holes in them for the headrest legs. You need two frames, with nuts, two head rests with caps x 4. Just cut a small X above the holes in the top of the seat backs.

    4. Replace the H4 60/55W headlight globes with 100/90W or anything stronger than the originals . Will fill in all the dark shadowey spots and wont blind any oncoming traffic (assuming headlights are set right).

    5. Put a modern CD player in, and speakers on the back window sill.

    6. Set of new springs (Kings) for the rear suspension, but don't replace the original shocks with stiff aftermarket replacements.

    7. Non working S2 clocks can be fixed. Resolder the joints and check the globe.

    8. Noisey fans can be improved with a small hole in the back, spray in a lubricant and seal hole.


    Please add to the list.

    Tom
    Pugrambo,

    This thread has drifted and stayed off-topic. I reckon that it deserves to be a separate thread.
    Would anyone mind if it got snipped off at Tom's first post and this bit became a new thread?

  22. #22
    Fellow Frogger! 505604's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Junee, NSW
    Posts
    753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomb View Post
    4. Replace the H4 60/55W headlight globes with 100/90W or anything stronger than the originals . Will fill in all the dark shadowy spots and wont blind any oncoming traffic (assuming headlights are set right)
    Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    putting in bigger globes in a 505 will result in less light output unless you fit relays

    505's didn't come with relays and it is a must if you want better lights
    On the subject of lights, what 'fitting' or … is it that pulls the headlights into position? Both of mine seem to be pointing too low, the left hand one, especially, and no amount of adjusting can light the road!

    Cheers,
    Andrew
    Current cars: Peugeot 307 HDi Touring; Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; Peugeot 406 HDi, Peugeot 505 Familiale
    Previous cars: 1965 Peugeot 404; 1972 Renault 16TS; 1970 Peugeo 504 1800; 1978 Peugeot 504 GL; 1976 Peugeot 504 LTI; 1984 Peugeot 505 Familiale; 1982 Peugeot 604 (converted to TD) 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet

  23. #23
    WLB
    WLB is offline
    1000+ Posts WLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Warragul, Vic.
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    Andrew,

    The headlights pivot on a horizontal axis, and a coil spring at the back of each light pulls the light up at the back so that the tendency is to pull the beam downwards. What keeps it aiming forwards is a small hydraulic ram which sits between a metal tab on the back of the headlight and a bracket attached to the body. The spring holds the headlight against the ram. The headlight adjusting knob under the dashboard operates a piston which pushes fluid (probably glycol) through a plastic tube to each headlight ram. Turning the knob causes the rams to lengthen or shorten and this adjusts the tilt of the headlights up or down, to compensate for a heavily laden boot, for example.

    This is all very well in theory, but the system tended to seize up or leak within a few years. I've never seen one that still works.

    If you hit a decent bump, sometimes the headlight will bounce slightly on its springloaded pivot and the ram will drop out. The spring then pulls the headlight down to aim at the ground in front of the car.

    On one of my cars, the rams jumped out regularly leaving you without effective lights unexpectedly. I solved the problem by removing the non-functioning ram permanently and gluing a small block of wood in its place.

    This is all from memory as I haven't had a close look at one for probably 10 years. But if it doesn't make sense or you can't find the things I've tried to describe, let me know and I can photograph the parts for you tomorrow.

  24. #24
    mlb
    mlb is offline
    Voted Most Popular mlb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    As WLB said above is pretty much the case. The failure of the hydraulic adjuster makes these lights constantly point too low. His block of wood solution will work, but I ended up using a bolt and a couple of nuts. That way you have a degree of adjustment. Essentially remove the adjuster and put the bolt through the hole. It's been quite a few years since I've done it so the memory is a bit hazy. But I'll take a photo tomorrow so you can see what I mean.

    Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

  25. #25
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Near Mullumbimby, NSW
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mlb View Post
    As WLB said above is pretty much the case. The failure of the hydraulic adjuster makes these lights constantly point too low. His block of wood solution will work, but I ended up using a bolt and a couple of nuts. That way you have a degree of adjustment. Essentially remove the adjuster and put the bolt through the hole. It's been quite a few years since I've done it so the memory is a bit hazy. But I'll take a photo tomorrow so you can see what I mean.

    Matt
    Yeah, with a length of threaded rod and 3 nuts you can set up a strong adjustable system - the rod just runs through the plastic hole on the car body at the top and through the hole in the headlight casing which you pulled the old ram etc out of

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •