Got some 306 s16 engine problems/questions
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Got some 306 s16 engine problems/questions

Hi,

I've had my 95 306 s16 for about a year. It's got around 210,000kms on it. I'd noticed that when I would put dodgy fuel in, it would have some issues, kinda like 'pinging', so i've always used 98 octane with no issues.

Recently, I've started noticing that at lower revs (<3000rpm) the car will basically, stutter - that's the best way I can describe it. I put my foot down, and it's almost like the car is bunny hopping, with power coming on and off. Any thoughts on what this could be? I'm wondering if it's a fuel problem, but what should I be checking? Is it a common problem?

Also, I haven't had a major service since I bought it - just regular oil changes. I'm thinking now that I should really be doing a major service? I've got a reasonable amount of mechanical experience, but mainly on 4wds, so what things should I be changing/replacing on this car? Any advice you can give would be appreciated!

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Hi, you should probably start by looking at the simple things, like replacing the plugs, changing the air filter, and making sure your fuel filter is not blocked and restricting flow. These are the three things needed for combustion to occur within the engine! Replacements of these dont cost much at all.

If replaceing these only sees little improvement, make sure your vacum pods and electrovalve are operating well. A malfunctioning system does not effect the top end, but leaves the engine gutless at low revs.

If this too fails, run a diagnostic as there may be a faulty sensor somewhere. There where instructions on a web site somewhere. I will post it up if i can find it.

And lastly, not related to your current problem, but make sure that your timing belt is not overdue for replacement. If that fails, the above would be the least of your worries.

Good luck

Tadpole

Thanks heaps blink. I'll get onto that stuff pretty soon - all the stuff I would have done anyway!

As for the vacuum pods and electrovalve thing - the owner said he'd had them replaced only recently before I got the car. However, I can't help but wonder whether it's a vacuum related thing. Maybe I should just redo all the vacuum hoses. Timing belt had also been done recently, so I should be fine there.

Thanks for that - i'll let you know how I go!

Thread Information