205 GTI cracked block
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 GTI cracked block

Well, the autopsy is nearly done and it isn't pretty.

I didn't pull the head off yet, but I found a lrge crack in the block extending from one head bolt to the next. Hopefullly it can be welded.

Advertisement

Are blocks across all 205 GTI engines identical? mine is a 1987.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

If your block is not repairable . then I have a good 205 GTi motor for sale.

It was removed for a Mi16 conversion.Was a good running motor when I drove it into the shed.

Andy 0414 223 817
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

Would it be worth repairing?

Good 205 motors can be had complete for peanuts these days. Go track down a health DKZ and give you 205 a new lease on life.

That is a shame though. Good excuse to chase a little more mumbo.

Chris

Have a look at the 205gtidrivers website (not the forum).

Click on the "205gti Info" link
    Then the "Technical Specifications" link on the left hand side of the screen.

Scoll down a bit and you should be able to sort yourself without too much drama

Chris

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Well, the autopsy is nearly done and it isn't pretty.

I didn't pull the head off yet, but I found a lrge crack in the block extending from one head bolt to the next. Hopefullly it can be welded.

Are blocks across all 205 GTI engines identical? mine is a 1987.
    I've got a block you can have free. I'm in Melbourne though, would be easier and cheaper to grab Andy's.
    Graham

HI Graham, I don't know who is Andy.

I thank you very much for your offer. I will have your block and head you offerred earlier, but I need some explanations as to how to use that.

I don't mind paying for postage if you'd be so kind to post these.

Would you please help?

I can send you money via paypal, directly into your account or whatever other way you like.

Please let me know.

LE

Sorry, my thread did not display correctly when I wrote the above. I see now Andy's offer. I'll ring him up and try to arrange something. Failing that, I'll go back to buying your bits, Graham, thank you again.

One question though. WHy is everybody suggestion to use a DKZ engine? I read the 205GTi drivers info and it looks like my engine is more powerful that the DKZ? (I have the XU9JA D6B engine which is allegedly good for 130BHP as opposed tot he DKZ which is good for 122BHP)?

THe injection system used is different too, so I suppose I would have to change that as well?

Regards and heartfelt thanks to everybody helping me.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 10th April 2011 at 03:35 PM.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

VIP Sponsor

I thank you very much for your offer. I will have your block and head you offerred earlier, but I need some explanations as to how to use that.

Would you please help?

I can send you money via paypal, directly into your account or whatever other way you like.

Please let me know.
    For Andy, see the second posting in this thread.
    You may be better off using your cylinder head, there are some problems with fitting a later head to the early pistons, the 10.5 to 1 compression may require aftermarket ignition, a bit too much for a new comer. I have a couple of early heads if yours has problems.
    I can pick up the block in the next week or so than have to wrap it up and see whether Aus Post will send it.
    Have you rebuilt an engine before, as I said may be cheaper and easier to bolt in a different engine.
    Graham

Now were talking. Another hot 8 valve on the road !!!!!!

Do it.

Chris

VIP Sponsor

Would you please help?

Please let me know.

LE

Sorry, my thread did not display correctly when I wrote the above. I see now Andy's offer. I'll ring him up and try to arrange something. Failing that, I'll go back to buying your bits, Graham, thank you again.

One question though. WHy is everybody suggestion to use a DKZ engine? I read the 205GTi drivers info and it looks like my engine is more powerful that the DKZ? (I have the XU9JA D6B engine which is allegedly good for 130BHP as opposed tot he DKZ which is good for 122BHP)?

THe injection system used is different too, so I suppose I would have to change that as well?

Regards and heartfelt thanks to everybody helping me.

So your car is a full import, has it got air conditioning?
    If its a 1.9 it should also have 4 wheel disc brakes and 15inch Speedlines.
    My head would be OK if this is so but no point then if you already have the big valve head.

Graham

I have rebuilt engines in the past and am not exactly newcomer even though FI is not my preferred playing ground.

Not sure what a 'full import' means. It is a 1987 205 GTI with a D6B engine according to the owner's manual. It was sold originally new in WA by a local dealer, in 1987, made in July 87. Yes, It had A/C, the compresor is missing, all the other bits are there. No power steering.

IF the numbers on the engine mean anything, let me know, I couldn't find any info on the web.

A weird thing happened though on Friday when I rang up the local Pug dealer and they told me the serial number as read from the chassis didn't match their numbers. Now Allpike Peugeot don't really know their stuff enough to have me unsettled for every detail they can't find in their computers, but maybe this means something.

Thank you Graham, I contacted Andy, and we're trying to work something out.

Where is the 10.5:1 compression ratio coming from? I would be very interested in that.

My R17G runs 10.5:1 (factory though) on Bosch L-Jetronic.

Put simply, Australian delivered 205GTIs had the DFZ motor (8.4:1). There is also a D6B which has a 9.6:1.

By using a DKZ/Si head on a DFZ bottomend you can increase the compression ratio up to 10.5:1 with no machining (a head skim is always advised obviously).

Its a ripper package with a "nice" cam. Its probably the most cost effect method of squeezing some more hp out of an 8V.

Graham will be able to give you more technical details. But thats the guts of it.

Chris

VIP Sponsor

I have rebuilt engines in the past and am not exactly newcomer even though FI is not my preferred playing ground.

Not sure what a 'full import' means. It is a 1987 205 GTI with a D6B engine according to the owner's manual. It was sold originally new in WA by a local dealer, in 1987, made in July 87. Yes, It had A/C, the compresor is missing, all the other bits are there. No power steering.

IF the numbers on the engine mean anything, let me know, I couldn't find any info on the web.

A weird thing happened though on Friday when I rang up the local Pug dealer and they told me the serial number as read from the chassis didn't match their numbers. Now Allpike Peugeot don't really know their stuff enough to have me unsettled for every detail they can't find in their computers, but maybe this means something.

Thank you Graham, I contacted Andy, and we're trying to work something out.

Where is the 10.5:1 compression ratio coming from? I would be very interested in that.

My R17G runs 10.5:1 (factory though) on Bosch L-Jetronic.

If it had air con it is probably an Australian deliverd car, doesn't have discs on the back?
    It should have the DFz, you've probably got the manual for a Euro car.
    Good to see you've got some experience, you should be OK with the DKz/DFz combination.
    Graham

I can't understand how this made the car pull up on the road and not start again.

My first 205 had a crack in the block and it only leaked coolant. It ran for ages until i sold it to buy the Series 2

A cracked block doesn't stop it from running.

Anyways - go the new engine rout. Out with the old and in with the proven.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

OK.

I understand now.

I think mine is a DFZ motor, I just found the little plate on the engine, under the LH engine support bracket.

Graham, I am buying your DKZ head. PM to arrange details. No discs on the rear.

No, I am not saying the crack made the car stop. I think the water pump (gasket?) failure caused the headgasket failur and that made the engine stop. That being said, the block crack is the worst I have seen (my 17G block had a hairline crack repaired initially with inserts, welded later, didn't lose any coolant or had any problems, run brilliantly but I just didn't like the idea of driving across Australia with a cracked block).

Thank you again everybody for chiming in. I will keep posting (until they block my thread again like the other one).

Please elt me know what is the mod I need to have the car running the higher compression.

Please elt me know what is the mod I need to have the car running the higher compression.
    Schlitz, the answers are all there.

DKZ is the late model GTi/Si head with a higher comp.

You can put this head on any 205 block.

It is not worth fixing up your existing DFZ block -- these blocks are being given away now (I know, I gave one away last month). You can either get a whole 'new' DKZ engine or buy the DFZ block and DKZ head off Graham, it that's what he's offering, and put it together yourself.

As Chris said below, if you want to build an engine with the DKZ head and DFZ block, you can get the camshaft ground to better match the higher compression engine (and run the car on 98RON fuel).

Hope this helps.

2005 Renault Clio Sport 182 Cup
    1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

What camshaft grind would I need? I noticed the DKZ camshaft has more lift and a different duration.

PM or email Peter Taylor.

If you were in Melbourne I could take you for a spin in a 205 with this exact setup.

Chris

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by four_plus_two View Post
    Schlitz, the answers are all there.

DKZ is the late model GTi/Si head with a higher comp.

You can put this head on any 205 block.

It is not worth fixing up your existing DFZ block -- these blocks are being given away now (I know, I gave one away last month). You can either get a whole 'new' DKZ engine or buy the DFZ block and DKZ head off Graham, it that's what he's offering, and put it together yourself.

As Chris said below, if you want to build an engine with the DKZ head and DFZ block, you can get the camshaft ground to better match the higher compression engine (and run the car on 98RON fuel).

Hope this helps.
    For the DKZ/Si head with the DKZ/D6B pistons you will get around 9.5 to 1 and with DKZ/Si pistons you will get the 10.5 to 1 compression. The DKZ/D6B pistons have a bigger dish.
    Obviously if you use a DFZ head with the DKZ pistons you will get very low compression.
    As I mentioned, my head doesn't have the adjustment shims, so you will need to source these as you probably would anyway if you change the cam. The Si cam that comes with it is probably too low a lift to be able to be reground into a performance camshaft.
    Graham

Have a look at my thread in restoration projects:
    performance 8v cylinder head build
    I am half way down this exact path. Good luck!

Thread Information