Help! Melbourne to Canberra freight
  • Register
  • Help

Default Help! Melbourne to Canberra freight

Hi everyone,

I've recently agreed to purchase a pair of front seats for my 504 but they are in Melbourne and I am in Canberra.

Advertisement

Are there any Fellow Froggers out there travelling between Melbourne and Canberra in the near future who might be able to help me out by transporting them north? Happy to compensate with cash/wine/non-sexual favours.

Alternatively, I would welcome suggestions about suitable freight companies I could use. The seats (incl runners) will be quite heavy, so I guess Australia Post is out of the question!

Cheers,

Michael
    Current:
    1973 504GL Berline
    1997 406 ST

Past:
    R19RT; 1979 504GL Berline with Factory Air; S3 205GTi; 206GTi; 505STi; R4

Quote Originally Posted by michaelh View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've recently agreed to purchase a pair of front seats for my 504 but they are in Melbourne and I am in Canberra.

Are there any Fellow Froggers out there travelling between Melbourne and Canberra in the near future who might be able to help me out by transporting them north? Happy to compensate with cash/wine/non-sexual favours.

Alternatively, I would welcome suggestions about suitable freight companies I could use. The seats (incl runners) will be quite heavy, so I guess Australia Post is out of the question!

Cheers,

Michael
    Try this mob http://www.transdirect.com.au/

They offer door to door collection and pickup. All shipping is arranged online, even printing the shipping labels with bar code.

They were reasonable when I shipped from Melbourne to Qld.

I would pack the seats as two parcels.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Thanks Rob. What do you think a 504 seat - including runners - weighs?
    Current:
    1973 504GL Berline
    1997 406 ST

Past:
    R19RT; 1979 504GL Berline with Factory Air; S3 205GTi; 206GTi; 505STi; R4

Thanks Rob. What do you think a 504 seat - including runners - weighs?
    I'd guess in 30 kg range + packing. Can you ask the sender to stick a seat on set of personal scales?
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

VIP Sponsor

Hi everyone,

Cheers,

Michael
    I can take them if they will fit in a 505 boot with a little room left over.
    The back seat will be taken up with a pair of windcreens!
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    I can take them if they will fit in a 505 boot with a little room left over.
    The back seat will be taken up with a pair of windcreens!
    Graham
    If you lay the seats flat and wrap them well they fit on the back seat, put the screens on top- need some underfelt to pack?

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    If you lay the seats flat and wrap them well they fit on the back seat, put the screens on top- need some underfelt to pack?
    Might be a bit dangerous, I think I'll stick with the boot idea. Actually I doubt they would fit in the boot, too shallow.

Graham

Default Freight

Michael,

I am planning on going down to Melbourne within the next month (hopefully) to collect a set of leather seats for one of my cars plus a couple of other bits. I will either take my 505 sedan with no rear seats in it so that I can pack the leather seats in the back, or my 505 GTI wagon, which I am getting back onto the road at the moment. Either way, the 504 seats should fit into the boot of either car still. Worst case, I could put the 504 seats wrapped in plastic or tarps onto the roof racks. Or I take the trailer!

So, I can probably help you out if you can wait a month or so.

Send me a PM if you are interested and we can discuss the details.

Cheers,
    James

Thread Information