406 Multi function display illumination
  • Register
  • Help

Default 406 Multi function display illumination

Hi,
    Where does the center mounted multi function display get illuminated? If the left hand side of the display is dull is this a recognised fault? with a known fix?

The fuel consumption display is not accurate (when compared to the odometer reading & actual fuel put in the tank) what causes this? is it possible to correct this?

Advertisement

Regards,

FarmPug

My display screen lost illumination on one side and then very soon after lost the lot. When I pulled the unit out to see if it was possible I found the unit a sealed one. Cost an arm and a leg for a replacement - have wondered if it is possible to open the case and rectify the problem by replacing the light source. The unit is still in the carport.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Fellow Frogger!

Assuming we're talking about the facelifted 406 (D9), the display is lit by three small, replaceable bulbs (not surface-mount LEDs). Part number is 6112 60.

As for accuracy, I think it stops logging average consumption and average speed once the distance travelled reaches 9999 km. In any case, try resetting it and see how it goes.

D8 are the same. Use a 5 cent coin to gently lever out the unit from the dash. The bulbs are just bayonette types that go in on a 45 degree angle from the top of the unit. It's a 5 minute job. I recall I had to get the bulbs in through Peugeot but they weren't terribly dear.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by Farmpug View Post
    Hi,
    The fuel consumption display is not accurate (when compared to the odometer reading & actual fuel put in the tank) what causes this? is it possible to correct this?

Regards,

FarmPug
    How far apart are they ?
    I don't think it is 100% accurate I have seen an 0.3-0.5 difference in a 2008 Corolla (even with resetting both average consumption and trip meter every fillup)
    Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

They aren't accurate - as they work off the speedo and the fuel sender - both of which aren't 100% accurate in their readings.

Eg: If the speedo has a margin of error around 8%, combined with the fuel sender - this will greatly increase the overall inaccuracy being sent to the BSI and the overall trip computer readings!

Cheers,

Joel.
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Thanks all. As was intimated by some fixing the illumination is an easy job, three small blade type generic bulbs behind the screen. Pry out the side covers next to the display, remove the 4 torx screws that hold the display and remove and replace the bulbs.

As for the display accuracy. I was comparing a reset display to actual figures.
    I assume that the information for fuel used is taken from injector open time and fuel pressure (both of which are known and controlled by the ECU) as the injectors wear I assume that the flow rate increases however, the pressure may also change due to wear of the pump.
    What I observe is innaccuracy of the display vs actual by about 15%. I was trying to find out if there was an adjustment to make to correct this??

Thanks,
    FarmPug

Thread Information