206 gti & gti 180
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 206 gti & gti 180

Hey everyone I'm Nathan and I'm 17 years old and am looking at buying a used 206. My question is though what are the differences in engines with the 206 GTI and the GTI 180?

The second part to the question is that, if there are differences, would the GTI 180 still be P plate legal to drive?

Advertisement

I'm finding it difficult to find answers on the net so I thought i'd join here and give it a go.

Thx, Nathan

180 has 180 hp over the 130ish from the regular gti. It comes mainly from the high compression of the 180 and cam and manifold changes. Someone who knows more will post soon...
    Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Quote Originally Posted by maykop View Post
    Hey everyone I'm Nathan and I'm 17 years old and am looking at buying a used 206. My question is though what are the differences in engines with the 206 GTI and the GTI 180?

The second part to the question is that, if there are differences, would the GTI 180 still be P plate legal to drive?

I'm finding it difficult to find answers on the net so I thought i'd join here and give it a go.
    Hi Nathan,

Welcome to

The RTA has a website which explains which vehicles are not acceptable to P Platers (assuming you will be a NSW P Plater) here: Restrictions

Basically, there are 5 restrictions and the GTi180 doesn't come close to any of them, so there is no problem there.

The engine differences are mainly to do with the cylinder head. If you're a techno-boffin, feel free to browse this page: GTi180 info. For reference, the 180 is referred to as an "RC" in every other market than Australia and the UK.

What made you decide to look at the 206?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

ive got a 180 no problems being a p plater. also dont just think about power difference. the 180 has better seat, wheels, airbags, comes standard with alot of extra's if ur in sydney u can come and ill take you for a drive. 0404002558
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK
    1998 406 2.0L auto ST WHITE

[email][email protected][email]

Tadpole

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm glad to hear about the 206 GTi 180 being P plate legal as i'm really looking a fun fwd streeter.

With the differences in the GTI and GTI 180 do you think the the price differences are resonable for a used ones?

And what made me decide too look at a 206 was the fact it looks and sounds like a great first car, being quick and reliable! Plus my brother just recently bought a Renault RS 250 so the french influence is kind of infecting now haha!

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by matt_molon View Post
    ive got a 180 no problems being a p plater. also dont just think about power difference. the 180 has better seat, wheels, airbags, comes standard with alot of extra's if ur in sydney u can come and ill take you for a drive. 0404002558
    Ah so they come with other features, sounds great! i'll see about that drive man, thx!

Icon6

G'day,
    the 180 looks like a 'normal' small car. Which means it can 'surprise' so called Japanese hotties. Good fun at the lights.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Fellow Frogger!

the 180 is well worth the extra coins u pay. my biggest surprize was buying the car at 16900 and insurance market value being 20100!!! Win win situation for me there! the 180 has all the extras as above mentioned and the mods available are endless, choose right and like mine, outhandles everything ive come across, outbrakes them asswell

engine wise/driving wise: I found the gti to be a better around town car with more low end power than the 180. The 180 i found needed to be rev'd to get the go go from it.

Fellow Frogger!

yes too true, giving the car some better breathing and exhaling mods get the response up a little, my partner likes that the 180 is a little lethargic off the line coz she can drive it simply and smoothly, i prefer to have it sing a little

Yeah you won't notice anything special till u rev it past 4. So the thing can actually be used practically. But take off at 3 and you will really feel the power as u keep the thing reving high. I also too was quite happy to find that buying mine for 10000 grand was cheap for one with 82000 km one owner 6mths Rego and just being serviced. However it did need a timing belt and new tyres was insured for 16000. Only downside is the lack of iPod compatability. Come for one drive it will set you a good bench mark
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK

Fellow Frogger!

I have the normal GTi and it's similar to a 2.0L turbodiesel to drive at low revs (lots of torque, noise and vibrations), but is about even in a race with the fastest Kawasaki Ninja that's p plate legal here in QLD (250cc, experienced 90KG rider).

I've heard the regular 206 GTi can be made faster than the GTi180 with a cam and intake (costs about the same as the difference in price though). This is my plan for the upcomming months. If you want more info on what can be done (for $6000 at AutoParis), see this: http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...t_206_gti.html

There are drawbacks to the GTi180 as well as benefits:
    *More high end power - Torque doesn't come to the rescue until about 3750rpm on the 180, compared to 3000 on the GTi, so overtaking without shifting down a gear or two won't be as easy.
    *Harder suspension - better handling, worse ride
    *Rear srut bar - no floatiness in the rear wheels, but no spare wheel (the regular GTi has a full size spare alloy).
    *Better seats front and rear
    *17" wheels - looks far better, handles better on smooth tarmac, but handles worse on rough tarmac or gravel roads, and 17" tyres are really expensive in 35 profile (If you have $12k+ for a performance car, $50 more per tyre probably won't be an issue for you).

Tips
    *If your feet are larger than size 10 and you ever wear anything but Converse shoes, take a test drive and think very carefully about whether you can use the pedals day in, day out.
    *If you get a 180, just the usual checks will be fine. If the timing belt needs changing, it'll cost $600+ to have it done for you, or $150, a scar on your forearm and a weekend to do yourself.
    *If you get a regular GTi of year model before 2002, test drive it on a bumpy road and check the speedo with a gps. Many of them will jump up by 10kph and not return to normal until the engine stops. Also check locking the doors and jiggling them. With some of them, the door sensor thinks the door is open and the locks will pop up on their own.

If you're interested in a fast french car, look at the Renault Clio Sport 172 and 182 (the 192 and 200 will probably be out of the same price bracket). They have similar performance to the GTi180, but can be fairly easily upgraded to the level of the 200 (200hp). The parts are a bit more expensive and harder to get than 206 parts, and they're more sporty looking on the outside (ever seen a mazdaspeed 3?), sorta like they've already been riced up.
    Last edited by Blufires; 6th April 2011 at 09:07 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by matt_molon View Post
    Yeah you won't notice anything special till u rev it past 4. So the thing can actually be used practically. But take off at 3 and you will really feel the power as u keep the thing reving high. I also too was quite happy to find that buying mine for 10000 grand was cheap for one with 82000 km one owner 6mths Rego and just being serviced. However it did need a timing belt and new tyres was insured for 16000. Only downside is the lack of iPod compatability. Come for one drive it will set you a good bench mark
    iPod compatability can be fixed for $200 and an afternoon. Also the aftermarket stereo will give you more control over a subwoofer if you choose to get one.

Fellow Frogger!

Matt Molon: I have an ipod cable mated to my factory headunit

Really where did you get the factory adaptor and how pricy was it. I love the 180 really it is a damn fun and well equipped car bar the iPod thing. I love it
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK

Hey WRC180, I would be interested in the ipod thing as well.

Tadpole

Hay Nathan,
    Yeh i would recommend on getting the GTi 180. I was close on getting the GTi but decided to get the 180 instead and from this day haven't regretted it once. It looks better and it's a pretty quick car, i dragged my cousins DC5R and lost about 2ish car lengths, which surprised me coz i thought i would of lost by more. Lastly it's a fun car to have exspecially on your P's. I think the major downside for 206's would have to be modifying it because after market parts are hard to get, compared to the UK guys. All the best with your decision.
    Haters Gonna Hate...

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by pugboy View Post
    Hay Nathan,
    i dragged my cousins DC5R and lost about 2ish car lengths, which surprised me coz i thought i would of lost by more
    On a closed circuit no doubt. These types of posts make me facepalm...

Thread Information