406 rear end thump
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 406 rear end thump

Have had a knock in the rear end of the 406. Asked the dealer to check all bushes in the rear suspension - told they could not find any explanation for the knock.

Today I removed one of the rear wheels, and in doing so, found that , with the handbrake applied, the whole assembly could be moved back and forward by about 5 - stopping with a knock at the end of travel. It sounded to me just like the sound I am trying to trace.

Advertisement

There is a nearly vertical lever rising from the brake assembly, linked via a bush to the suspension assembly.

My expectation is that this bush is the source of the movement.

Any comments?

Default rear end knock

I think you will find you need to replace the rear suspension track arms. I had the same problem and new track arms solved it. They are also responsible for adjustinting the rear wheel alignment so get a 4 wheel alignment when you fit the new ones. see section 10.19 if you have the haynes manual.
    PUG 406 STDT

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks myshell- I have searched this elsewhere since your comment- I think you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by myshell View Post
    I think you will find you need to replace the rear suspension track arms. I had the same problem and new track arms solved it. They are also responsible for adjustinting the rear wheel alignment so get a 4 wheel alignment when you fit the new ones. see section 10.19 if you have the haynes manual.
    Yep - I fixed that, but the noises have come back! Considering there are numerous bushes - I think im going to bite the bullet and rebuilt the rear/front end of the car!

Not bad, considering its an ex country car - 190,000km!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Thread Information