406 HDI mid range torque
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 406 HDI mid range torque

I got the 406 HDI back from its initial (for me) service, and find that it still seems to be down on mid-range torque compared to the 405 SRDT. Where the 405 seemed to have a good steady surge from around 1750 RPM, the 406 seems to be 'OK', but only has a massive surge around 3000RPM.
    I expect that I can get used to it, but it certainly not as I would expect after the 405.

Anyone able to say whether this is normal for the HDI?

Advertisement

no not normal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peugeot_406

look at the engine table and you will see this:

2.0 HDi DW10 ATED 4 / 8 1.997 cc 109 PS (80 kW; 108 hp) / 4.000 250 Nm (180 lbft) / 1.750

This means that you should also feel the kick in at 1750 rpm and not at 3000 rpm.
    www.peugeotforum.be
    Belgium Peugeot Club

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Jurgen - as I expected, this is not normal. Is there any adjustment of the Turbo, or might this mean replacement is the only solution? anyone have information on this?

the (st)dealer is the way to go. It can be several things that might be worth checking. Air-ratio measurement, overboost valve, etc.
    Get it hooked on the diagnostic computer and see what shows up.
    www.peugeotforum.be
    Belgium Peugeot Club

Fellow Frogger!

This may or may not help! A little while back my housemate's Z30 Soarer with the 1JZ-GTE was having similar issues, which ended up being a broken seal in the turbo piping. The turbos spooled fine so he didn't know what was wrong until he replaced the "broken" boost meter (which was reporting almost no boost) and the new one gave similar results.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

could also be a hose that has come adrift
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks again I will look at all of these -

Fellow Frogger!

Since I have been driving the car for a few days now, I have discovered that, if I DO get the turbo engaged in lower gears, it keeps on as I change up through the gears( naturally it is still spinning).

The difference is very obvious, so : The motor should have much more power than it has been delivering.

Fellow Frogger!

HAd a bit more driving experience now, and have discovered that the turbo cuts in early on a light throttle, but not if you plant the foot. It's a weird experience, because you have to back off in 2nd or 3rd gear to get the turbo to operate.

When it does, the car behaves as I expected, and performance stays right through the remaining gears.

Any clues, or is this just 'turbo lag' which I have not experienced in 4/405srdt that I have driven over around 200k?

At least I now know how to get it driving 'normally', and it is a great car.

Quote Originally Posted by marburg505 View Post
    HAd a bit more driving experience now, and have discovered that the turbo cuts in early on a light throttle, but not if you plant the foot. It's a weird experience, because you have to back off in 2nd or 3rd gear to get the turbo to operate.

When it does, the car behaves as I expected, and performance stays right through the remaining gears.

Any clues, or is this just 'turbo lag' which I have not experienced in 4/405srdt that I have driven over around 200k?

At least I now know how to get it driving 'normally', and it is a great car.
    Some sort of overboost issue? Sounds like the electrickery might be cutting fuel when you're getting full boost.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Fellow Frogger!

the control solenoid might be worn out
    I beleive that the EGR control solenoid and the boost control solenoid are the same, therefore you can swap them to see if it improves things
    make sure that you mark the vacuum hoses because the hoses have to go on the solenoid the right way around
    the solenoids are cheap if you want to buy a new one

Thread Information