What do you reckon?
  • Register
  • Help

Default What do you reckon?

I've been away from the trade for 10+ years so my ideas may be behind the times.

I needed the diff oil changed on my '79 504. Just in case it's not "making" oil from the auto trans.
    Not having the pump to refill the diff I decided to see the local K Mart workshop for a quote.
    The figure of $85 dollars almost blew me back out the door!
    When queried the manager gave me a story about flushing the diff and refilling with $14 per litre gear oil. When I mentioned that I'd never heard of diff flushing* during my years in the trade he answered that if you want the job done correctly blah, blah, blah. What could I say? Well I did say bullshit!

Advertisement

I was going to ask for a few shots of grease in the suspenders and torque tube while he was at it but I held back on this.

What do you think fellow AFers. Am I leaning toward being a tight arse in my dotage?

*Diff flushing? Only on worm drives that have had the wrong oil used.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

by an oil syringe and do it yourself
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Default What...

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    by an oil syringe and do it yourself
    'rambo,
    I've got one of those in my kit, it's as useless as tits on a bull, more oil by-passes the syringe bucket than pushes the oil, has done so since new

Another problem is that I don't operate too well on my back, after a short time I'm "calling for Bill".

85 coin sounds ok - considering its inclusive of labour and oil.

Think about it - the hourly rate for a mechanic is around $70+
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    'rambo,
    I've got one of those in my kit, it's as useless as tits on a bull, more oil by-passes the syringe bucket than pushes the oil, has done so since new

Another problem is that I don't operate too well on my back, after a short time I'm "calling for Bill".
    i'm still good on my back and my syringe is also still good

seriously though i have seen 1 litre oil bottles that have a tube that fits in place of the lid to which you just squeeze the bottle and the oil goes up the tube and into the g/box-diff

i had one for years untill i got a good syringe and i tend to recall it started life with diff oil in it so i would just use it with what ever oil i wanted to at the time and just filled it up, held it on it's side under the car and got the oil where i wanted it

doesn't help your current problem though but it's something to look for when out and about
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Problem solved..
    I "called in" a favour from an ex apprentice now running his own Volvo shop.
    He put my 504 on his 2 poster, dropped the diff oil, refilled and all for $15, the oil price.
    The diff oil level had increased suggesting as I thought that the auto rear seal was weeping allowing oil into the diff via the torque tube.
    I'm at a point in my life now that such things don't worry me any more.
    Earlier in the day I'd been shopping for a replacement oil syringe, the only ones available had the capacity of a bike pump!

'rambo, the squeezie oil bottles you espouse, I have tried them in the past with a longer hose but have found that you can only release about half their capacity when operating in the diff area with it being restricted by the spare wheel carrier.
    Oh to have a two poster in the back yard??

Mr 'beest, you can buy an el cheapo oil pump (a plastic bottle with sealing cap and pump through the cap) from the low cost auto shops. I found that does the job quite well. comes with a longish hose and a hooked length of tube at the end, so no need to lay on your back when operating it.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Mr 'beest, you can buy an el cheapo oil pump (a plastic bottle with sealing cap and pump through the cap) from the low cost auto shops. I found that does the job quite well. comes with a longish hose and a hooked length of tube at the end, so no need to lay on your back when operating it.
    My solution with heavy gear oils is a large funnel with piece of garden hose on the end.

I hang the funnel above the car, put the hose in the diff/gearbox then pour a measured amount of oil in.

Gravity does the rest.

It's a pain cleaning the rig, so for lower viscosity oils I use a Kinchrome oil syringe , which are about $30 and work well.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    My solution with heavy gear oils is a large funnel with piece of garden hose on the end.

I hang the funnel above the car, put the hose in the diff/gearbox then pour a measured amount of oil in.

Gravity does the rest.

It's a pain cleaning the rig, so for lower viscosity oils I use a Kinchrome oil syringe , which are about $30 and work well.

Cleaning is easy if you just pump some petrol through it. I used the funnel method too, but it takes forever to fill up a R12 g'box.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Don't laugh.
    I had contemplated boring a hole in the boot floor hopefully above the diff.
    Putting a hose through and down to the diff then filling via a funnel or one of 'rambo's squeezie bottles.
    No? Oh well.
    Last edited by Wildebeest; 31st March 2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: stuff

Cleaning is easy if you just pump some petrol through it. I used the funnel method too, but it takes forever to fill up a R12 g'box.
    Albeit a little carcinogenic! Gun wash works better (mainly acetone) but is more so.

Don't laugh.
    Putting a hose through and down to the diff then filling via a funnel or one of 'rambo's squeezie bottles.
    No? Oh well.
    As an aside, I take it you suffer meniere's disease due to you comment about lying on your back?

I suffer as well, but highly intermittently (well about every 12 months), the attacks are a comedy act for anyone watching, you become totally legless and vomit profusely.

Stemetil sorts the symptoms quick smart and you only need to use a minimum dose. May be worth seeing your doc?

It's a very common complaint for older people.

Rob it just could be he's old and broken, like many of us here!
    I reckon the best money I ever spent was on a Tom Thumb oil transfer pump, cost $20 years ago. Will pump 140W Competition Diff mineral oil, this stuff is like treacle when the temperature is low, 5C and below.
    Trick a late friend taught me was to stand the oil bottle(s) in hot tap water for say 10-15 minutes and it flows much easier. Really a great help if using the bottles with the tube attached.

Albeit a little carcinogenic! Gun wash works better (mainly acetone) but is more so.

Why would it be any more carcinogenic than filling up your car at the servo if you just fill the bottle with petrol and pump it out? About 200ml should do it.

Why would it be any more carcinogenic than filling up your car at the servo if you just fill the bottle with petrol and pump it out? About 200ml should do it.
    Because my rig uses an open funnel as per earlier post. I don't wish to get into a semantic discussion, but decanting ULP at home is somewhat different to filling a car!

+1 for the 'Tom Thumb' They're a great jigger at about $30- from Autobarn. I keep one for worm oil and one for gearboxes.

As for K-Mart service centres, there are reasons why I don't recommend them...

As an aside, I take it you suffer meniere's disease due to you comment about lying on your back?

I suffer as well, but highly intermittently (well about every 12 months), the attacks are a comedy act for anyone watching, you become totally legless and vomit profusely.

Stemetil sorts the symptoms quick smart and you only need to use a minimum dose. May be worth seeing your doc?

It's a very common complaint for older people.

robmac,
    Thanks for your concern. Meniere's disease eh? How very French!
    Doctor arranged a head scan some time back re the problem. They found nothing. I could have told them that
    Googled re the above, none of the symptoms mentioned.

Bluey,
    "Old and broken ?" Oh yeah all of those.

Because my rig uses an open funnel as per earlier post. I don't wish to get into a semantic discussion, but decanting ULP at home is somewhat different to filling a car!

Not sure what you're on about nor wher eis the semantic stumbling block.

Cleaning a pump bottle by running some petrol through it is not more carcinogenic than filling up your car at the servo.

Your rig is not part of the discussion, and decanting ULP was never even mentioned.

Don't laugh.
    No? Oh well.
    I have done this to both 505s I've owned and it works like a charm. Who cares if there is a finger-sized hole on the boot floor when you can out tape over it, and there's a boot mat anyway ?
    Squeezing bottles sideways is a pain.

[QUOTE=schlitzaugen;942032]Not sure what you're on about nor wher eis the semantic stumbling block.

Cleaning a pump bottle by running some petrol through it is not more carcinogenic than filling up your car at the servo.

Your rig is not part of the discussion

POST #8
    Gravity does the rest.

Cleaning a pump bottle by running some petrol through it .....

....and decanting ULP was never even mentioned.

Definition Decanting:

decant

verb (Formal) transfer, tap, drain, pour out, draw off, let flow

Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002

Not sure what you're on about nor wher eis the semantic stumbling block

Semantics

(sĭ-măn'tĭks) pronunciation
    n. (used with a sing. or pl. verb)

3. The meaning or the interpretation of a word, sentence, or other language form.

1)So you must have decanted petrol to perform the cleaning

2)And you have argued about the meaning of the the words.

3)An open funnel was mentioned in post #8.

4) Pouring petrol in an open flow allows more vapor to escape than placing a nozzle with ULP under pressure in the tank of car.

If you wish to be augmentative at least get your facts correct and brush up on the meanings of the words involved.

Thread Information