Pug 206 GTI 180 at Wakefield - 24th Mar
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Pug 206 GTI 180 at Wakefield - 24th Mar

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share my trackday experience with you. First time I have taken any car to a track... I am a die hard GT5 fan that have a full blown racing rig setup at home and though it was time to get back to reality on a REAL track... I enjoyed every second on the track !!

Sorry it's a bit long, the best part of the vid is around 11:12 on my last two and quickest laps of the day.

Advertisement

Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRbP-VGTyEg

Hopefully many more track days to come.

Peace out.
    AK
    Last edited by AKGTI180; 29th March 2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Spelling fix

Fellow Frogger!

Welcome to AF!

Looks like you had a ball, and that's what it's all about!

Hope you were suitably sympathetic about the tricky track conditions with the Stig after his lunch excursion.
    "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."
    Winston Churchill
    (My benevolent dictatorship is the obvious exception)

Looks like you had fun - Wakefield is great in a 180.

Some advice for the pug driver - try to stop moving your hands about the wheel - keep them at 9 and 3 for instance - like the Polo driver does. I know that's easier with a sluggomatic VW gearbox, but I think it may stop you turning on too much lock (or too quickly) in your turns and it's easier to feel what is needed.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Also to add to what slc206 said, you should heel-toe, slowing down will feel smother and give you more confidence. its a shame it was wet...

The helmet cam was rad!
    Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    what is it about these cars that turn grown men into babies wanting a 2nd or 3rd identical rattle? now, wheres my wallet....

I dont think heal and toe doesnot do much for you lap times, more easier on the box yes. I never heal and toe, and I am too old to start doing it.

You did a 1:24? is this your first time out on track? If you want to gofaster then attend a day tuition, michael Navebox at wakefield is excellent and much cheaper than the sydney tution schools.

I would expect a GTI180 in experianced hands to be doing 1:17s
    Last edited by parry; 2nd April 2011 at 07:50 PM.
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

Just had a look at the video in the dry laps at the ned, and you could really improve your times if you get on the power much earlier. Being a FWD you can really power out of the corners, you think it is going to go but it doesnt, it just grips up and goes.

You were also losing much time in turn 3, you should be able to do turn 3 flat out or just lift slightly but no braking. Dont worry about turn 4 entry as it is a slow corner, the time you you make up in turn 3 overcompensates for the time you lose in turn 4.

The fish hook is another area where people lose or gain time. I am still struggling in that turn.. Have a look at my vids in my posts...
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

Tadpole

Thanks for the comments guys...I love to receive all the help i can get. Yes, it was the first time I ever went on a track. 1:17:XX would be fantastic, but with my experience i think it's going to be quite scary at this stage.

In the wet it was very scary. thank god Wakefield is a 'safe' track in the sense that obstacles around the track are pretty much non existent. Parry, i'll check out your vids. Thanks again for the advise guys. Hope to have a few more track days in the near future.

In my readings of the manual. Basically if u quickly apply hard braking it can activate the emergency brake measures which quickly increases the brake fluids pressure to it's peak and also activates the hazard lights which then should deactivate upon acceleration. This could be bloody annoying for a track day.
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK
    1998 406 2.0L auto ST WHITE

[email][email protected][email]

Quote Originally Posted by matt_molon View Post
    In my readings of the manual. Basically if u quickly apply hard braking it can activate the emergency brake measures which quickly increases the brake fluids pressure to it's peak and also activates the hazard lights which then should deactivate upon acceleration. This could be bloody annoying for a track day.
    So, that's another thing you can experiment with on a track day:

1. keep your hands in the right spot on the wheel
    2. don't apply "hard braking" quickly

The first time I went on a track day, the hazards came on alot. Subsequent times, not so much! I still had lots of fun, regardless.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    So, that's another thing you can experiment with on a track day:

1. keep your hands in the right spot on the wheel
    2. don't apply "hard braking" quickly
    The first time I went on a track day, the hazards came on alot. Subsequent times, not so much! I still had lots of fun, regardless.
    With you there simon, hard braking quickly can also upset the car's rear end a bit too. Though you do get used to it.
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Fellow Frogger!

I've had the auto hazards feature turned off in my car, it's very disconcerting to people following - they tend to think I'm about to leave the racing line and try to overtake.

The EBD is also kinda annoying, you have to learn to brake hard, but not so hard the car thinks it's an emergency or you'll end up going slower than intended. I'm getting tempted to disable that too.

Thread Information