need a 205 gti for a restoration
  • Register
  • Help

Default need a 205 gti for a restoration

hey guys i have been working in smash repairs shop for a while and im currently stripping and sand blasting and old mini cooper s and i thought ahhh this would be great to do to a 205. so i have the tools and skills at my disposal but i need a cheap 205 as im broke. atleast one that running mechanical issues will be solved later when i have money as the complete re-spray will cost me maximum 500 bucks cause i have all the right connections. but i also wanted to know how easy is a 205 to remove doors trims seals etc etc so i can really get in there and strip the whole thing down to metal and re-spray the thing.

Advertisement
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK
    1998 406 2.0L auto ST WHITE

[email][email protected][email]

there's about 3 atm on ebay from $500-, i don't think you will have too much of a problem finding a cheap resto project, it would possibly be worth buying 2 !

they appear to be mostly being left to die, if you have the time and energy (lol - you're 18, i'm sure you have the energy) they are a fun little car, save a 205

hahah thats the plan. plus they are a future classic car. it will be a worth while investment.
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK

Mate they are really easy to strip back. When you look closely at it, remove the two bumpers and the side strips, you are just about ready to paint !

In fact, if you close the doors hard enough, they will fall off themselves...lol. I was going to paint mine not long ago, but ahh i'm not really the paint and show type. Oily engine, go fast bits, good brakes & rubber - that's all for me.

BUT, if you are painting, remember don't sand back to far - as you will go through the zinc plating. I think all models have a galvanized / zinc coating under the paint work and that's the last thing you want to loose.

Apart from that it would be a sinch to strip, mask & spray. Have a look at Rohans job on here somewhere. He has done a complete strip and looking good. There is a white rally car being done too.

Moo
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    BUT, if you are painting, remember don't sand back to far - as you will go through the zinc plating. I think all models have a galvanized / zinc coating under the paint work and that's the last thing you want to loose.
    ah thx for that - the clear coat on my bomb is completely stuffed and peels off in half the bonnet with your fingernail, i was wondering how to prep it since the paint would be soft, the clear coat hard ! seems to me you would hit bare metal on the paint before removing the clear coat.

i was assuming i would have to paint strip it, but would that remove the zinc plating also?

all my car painting experience was with old things with no clear coat

i think that i might be better off removing the zinc coating and then reapplying a similar spray on coat. this is ok because i will be able to respray where i have stripped and then this will also rest assure that the galvanised coat will be perfect with no chance of rust. also this means that if i need to i can remove dents scratches etc etc which will have penetrated the zinc coat anyway. lucky the 205 is a simple shape not too many curves etc. do u think it would be smarter to remove the engine gearbox etc to respray the the engine bay? this would make it easier to perform a mechanical rebuild from scratch. im really excited to do this just i need a 205 gti for about 500 bucks because im poor, lucky at this stage mechanical performance is not a concern as long as it starts. i also will only settle for a gti no point doing up and si. any thoughts on colours?
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by matt_molon View Post
    any thoughts on colours?
    my vote would be for miami blue, but it is a whole lot extra work to change the entire colour of a car rather than respray (as i'm sure you are aware.)

VIP Sponsor

hey guys i have been working in smash repairs shop for a while and im currently stripping and sand blasting and old mini cooper s and i thought ahhh this would be great to do to a 205. so i have the tools and skills at my disposal but i need a cheap 205 as im broke. atleast one that running mechanical issues will be solved later when i have money as the complete re-spray will cost me maximum 500 bucks cause i have all the right connections. but i also wanted to know how easy is a 205 to remove doors trims seals etc etc so i can really get in there and strip the whole thing down to metal and re-spray the thing.
    I have a red 1987 model.
    Dash is a bit ordinary and is missing exhaust but it does drive.
    The shell is the best part, very straight with all trim sitting nicely, never had a hit as far as I can see.
    Driveshafts, front suspension and rear beam have all replaced with good items recently.
    I am Melbourne which may be a problem for you.
    POA but the car will be cheap.
    Graham

I have a red 205 gti, it's got low k's well 170000 which is low for a 205, would be a good car to restore. I'm in manly if u wanted to have a look

yeah im in balgowlah call me on 0404002558 im not really looking to pay more than 500 tho sorry mate im really poor so im looking for something close to a hunk of junk mechanically because im going to fix that later anyway.
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK

Fellow Frogger!

im going to fix that later anyway.

................................SIGH!............. .................

Tim

Thread Information