406 Coupe V6 Auto Questions
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon14 406 Coupe V6 Auto Questions

Hi All,

Advertisement

I put this question on another 406 thread but I think it had petered out.

As an intro, I have just bought a '99 406 D8 coupe auto (for my wife, I promise!) - I have not had a chance to drive it much as I have been away for work and now I've lent it to visiting relatives who are currently experiencing the car in what I believe is probably its natural habitat, ie: cruising round the Hunter wine country for a few days.

Anyway, the car will be back soon and I will have a chance (at last!) to have a proper spin and work out what I need to do or have done maintenance wise. The car has only covered 86,000 kms however it hasn't had a timing belt replacement yet so that will be the first important job (and a mjor service).

I would appreciate if anyone could give me the benefit of their experience and advise a good mechanic who could do this. I am also a bit concerned potentially about parts prices because I have priced a power steering hose (slight leak) from Peugeot - $1,100!! I tried EAI who didn’t have any and eventually tracked one down online in the UK for a quarter of the price – I haven’t checked the delivery price yet though.

Do you think it will be the same story with the timing belt, pulleys and water pump, ie: very expensive dealer prices, would it be better buy online overseas or would you know what I could expect to pay all up?

I have read enough about the auto gear boxes to know they are a strange and temperamental beast so I will reserve my judgement on it until I get the feel for it – it does seem OK though so fingers crossed.

Also, has anyone with a 406 tried this ‘Tatswitch’ mod? – it seems like a good way to engage sports/drop a gear quickly?: http://www.peugeot406coupe.com/phpBB...p?f=22&t=10710

Thanks

Expect to pay around $1000 plus for a timing belt change. There are plenty of threads here and on other forums which deal with price etc. If the engine and cooling system have been cared for the water pump will probably not need replacing, saving on a few hundred, but you usually find that other things need work. I did my 2002 SV D9 (90000Ks) last year and it needed the top engine torque mount and crankshaft pulley replacing - an extra $350 for parts. Make sure you get a mechanic that has a track record with these motors and has done timing belts on them before.
    I also thought the tatswitch mod looked good but have learnt to live with the auto in normal mode.
    All the best - Davo

Tadpole

Thanks for the info, Davo

Thread Information