207GTi Camshaft Dephaser Fault Code
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 207GTi Camshaft Dephaser Fault Code

Hi.

Need some urgent advice. Just had my GTI turbo inlet pipe replaced because of an oil leak by a local Peugeot dealership. All seemed OK till I drove off and the "Depollution Fault" code appeared for the first time. Straight back in and they diagnosed an error code relating to the camshaft dephaser!!!

They will be diagnosing further tomorrow but have already indicated that nothing they did to fix the leaking turbo pipe should have triggered this fault code......but they did do it!!!

Anyone have any clues why the camshaft dephaser fault code might be triggered? Any idea what the fix is?

Cheers, Mark

Advertisement

typical problem for the THP engine
    www.peugeotforum.be
    Belgium Peugeot Club

Tadpole

Well you need to read this to believe it!!!

The Peugeot dealership called and started by saying they must be the unluckiest dealership in Australia..... Their head mechanic has just checked the timing and yes the timing chain has stretched to 71mm which means they will need to replace all the usual timing components with the upgraded parts, the tensioner, chain, rails, sprocket etc etc. The full bottle.

When I said they obviously triggered the depollution fault when their test pilot drove the car, they defended by saying the local roads are only a 50 zone, the engine has a rev-limiter blah blah blah and that I would have caused the same fault code to trigger very soon. He then said that as I knew it was a common problem I should understand it was not their fault as the chain must have been stretching for some time. No responsibility whatsoever. Give me a break....

The irony is I had formally complained about a one-off cold start diesel-like rattle noise back in November when under warranty (my 3 year warranty ran out 5 weeks ago). I advised them in writing that the timing was a known issue and would this problem reoccur. They never responded. I have resent the email and asked them to explain.

They are ordering parts through Peugeot and putting my warranty case to them. I'll keep you posted.

Fuming Mark
    Last edited by MARKGTI; 11th March 2011 at 06:44 PM.

Commiserations, Mark.

In your situation, I'd be as equally irate.
    Regards,

Simon

2007 207 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

1000+ Posts

As jurgen said, this is symptomatic of early EP6DT/S engines.
    I assume yours is 2007 given it's out of warranty. I would call Peugeot Australia and ask to speak to Customer Care if you don't have any luck with the dealer.

So these are the vvt engines?

i posted up a while back wondering what their vvt tech was (without response), i had always discounted vvt as unnecessary and complicated but after seeing honda's simple system i was a believer.

i had been considering the pug one into my 205, depending on how it was implemented, i take it that's probably not a great idea

Tadpole

Thanks Simon & Deka

What has been most disappointing is the secrecy and defensive, defiant stance of the dealership. I mean, they obviously triggered the fault code themselves during hard road testing yet returned the car to me without mentioning the problem, presumably so I would drive it home and it would become my fault and my problem.

Similarly when asked about the prevalence of the timing issue months ago (when under warranty) I was told it was an isolated problem. Now its a known issue and progressively worsens over time in these early model engines.

That's not good news Mark.
    I also read a few reports about timing chain problems with the 207 GTi's.
    Rather ordinary that the dealer won't accept responsabilty,especially
    after you had informed them of the problem whilst car was still under warranty.
    I hope your not without your 207 for to long.

Good luck
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    So these are the vvt engines?
    The GT/GTi engine has constantly variable valve timing on the inlet cam.

I think the non-turbo engine is even more fancy, with infinitely variable valve timing and lift (uses BMW Valvetronic principle).

Peugeot have used VVT for quite a while on a lot of their engines (V6, GTi180 and later models of the EW10 in the 307, for example). I don't think it's particularly unreliable, but it can be expensive to fix.
    Regards,

Simon

2007 207 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

the thp's come from BMW

problem is that the pulley of the crankshaft is only fixed on it with a screw. No lock pin whatsoever to keep it fixed in a certain position. If you look on the internet you will see that mini's suffer from the same problem.
    Peugeot has already increased the torque necessary to fasten the pulley so your garage should keep that in mind when installing the new belt.
    Unbelievable that bmw got it wrong in some way because renault for example uses this fixation of the pulley in the same way and they don't seem to have any problems with it.
    www.peugeotforum.be
    Belgium Peugeot Club

thx jurgen and slc - apologies mark, i shouldn't have derailed the thread.

Tadpole

No problems spar and thanks Andrew for your good wishes. The value of this forum is we can help each other with our information and experiences.

On the positive side to all of this, I understand that when the new upgraded timing gear is properly installed on the early model THP engines, the timing issue rarely resurfaces.

So the car should be quicker, more responsive and more economical......and I can stop treating it with kid gloves....can't wait to get it back and explore its true potential....

Tadpole

posted this yesterday and refered to this posting
    "hi we have had nothing but problems with our car had pan replaced due to warp, shockie replaced, a miss in the engine that keeps reoccuring and now it just losses power one minute fine next lucky to do 10kph has anyone else experienced this. Dealer say it has fixed it this time spark plugs first time now air hose.
    Has anyone else experienced this
    seems it is common after big searches in french last night
    Our dealer seems to think replacing an air hose will fix problem
    would like to know who your dealer is to refer mine
    rod

Tadpole

after rereading all input as our car is not yet 2yo I am wondering if it has the earlier engine in it. Have been driving loan car makes mine sound like a diesel and preform akin to a hyundai
    where does fault code come up what does it read

Tadpole

sorry back again
    have just googled and found fault code
    this has happened to me about 6mths ago travelling to brothers came on after about 60km travelled consulted manual did not seem anything major (silly me) it then went off after about 40 km travelled. Rang dealer on monday told it was to do with turbo and dust in system Told them went off after about 40km said it have cleared it self and all ok.
    now really worried wifes car talked her out of good old reliable toyota

Thread Information